American Idol Season 8 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

American Idol Season 8

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I'm not one to beat a dead horse, but I just listened again to Kris Allen's "Falling Slowly" and quite honestly, that could have been sung better by any beginning glee club singer. Nothing special, nothing stands out. Compared to the vocal quality of Adam and Danny, I am beginning to think America is tone deaf and just into "really nice mainstream guys" for their winner.......on to the next competition......42

I'm not one to beat a dead horse, but I just listened again to Kris Allen's "Falling Slowly" and quite honestly, that could have been sung better by any beginning glee club singer. Nothing special, nothing stands out. Compared to the vocal quality of Adam and Danny, I am beginning to think America is tone deaf and just into "really nice mainstream guys" for their winner.......on to the next competition......42
I think it is the WHO voted column. There are many Americans who didn't vote at all but watched the show, like me.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
One last comment from me about the "cute" conspiracy. To say Kris won mostly on his vocals is just plain silly. I sat in the audience in the early 1960's when the Beatles were playing the Cow Palace in San Francisco, at that time a huge venue. The screaming from the young female fans was intense for the full 30 minutes of play that you couldn't hear much of the music let alone decide whether or not the vocals were good. Cute sells and these guys were adorable. Fans were not buying records just for their "Fab" voices. I'm not saying that's all Kris has going for himself, but when the vocals are just "good" and not great, cute doesn't hurt. There I am done............42 out.........

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree - actually most of the top "artists" then and now were based more on looks than actual talent. Most of the big names don't even write their own stuff... they're just a product that billions buy into. That's why the boy bands did so well and their lead singers have broken out on their own. Considering how many effects are used on the mics to warp their voice it's no wonder they sound good. How anyone can stand Mr. Nasal Timberlake is beyond me.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Bekalk - You win!!! basically because I do not care about pop music. I'm one of those long haired serious music lovers - very much into philharmonic, opera, recitals, etc.

I should not even be writing about this contest, but I love competitions.

I'm part of a community choir. I don't listen to boy bands.. As I said earlier, I like Kris. His music is more of what I will listen to then Adam. Is his vocals the most amazing vocals I've ever heard in my freakin life. NO. But are they the worst vocals I've ever heard either. NO.

If all Kris had going for him was vocals and looks, I'd have not voted for him. But Kris won a lot of people over with his creative arrangements of songs. (He was at first really written off by people)... Heartless was brilliant period. Yes Fray did a cover of it too but Kris version is so much of a better take...It's faster better phrasing etc. Week after week Kris made old songs current and interesting.
The guy knows who he is an artist, and presented that to the audience. And sold his music...

In contrast someone like Danny did not sell his music. Danny had a good voice and a sob story that's it. He was unable to make songs his own or present to the audience who he'd be as an artist. There are tons of singers who can sing well if not better than Danny. Daughtry's producer said that he didn't think Danny was marketable at all. Had no idea what kind of who Danny was as an artist. Allison though in contrast everyone is lining up to work with her.

Same with Adam. Great voice but what kind of album would Adam make? Given the little Adam did, he didn't actaully sell me the idea that I'd actually like his music or want to buy it. Rather he sold me that he was quite out there musically....

Kris himself said that if instruments were not allowed on the show, that he doesn't think he'd do well. He said it was instruments that allowed him to do as well as he did because he was able to play on his strengths as a musician. I'm hoping that Kris in time will use these skills and make some beautiful music. I think he is talented enough to do so....

Some of the best singers ever didn't have the best vocals..

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If all Kris had going for him was vocals and looks, I'd have not voted for him. But Kris won a lot of people over with his creative arrangements of songs.
If Kris wasn't in the picture, then who would you have voted for??

Also, can you name a song that he used a creative arrangement on?? I may have overlooked some of his talent.

bekalc said:
In contrast someone like Danny did not sell his music. Danny had a good voice and a sob story that's it. He was unable to make songs his own or present to the audience who he'd be as an artist. There are tons of singers who can sing well if not better than Danny. Daughtry's producer said that he didn't think Danny was marketable at all. Had no idea what kind of who Danny was as an artist. Allison though in contrast everyone is lining up to work with her.
Do you have any links for the people who said these bolded things??

bekalc said:
Same with Adam. Great voice but what kind of album would Adam make? Given the little Adam did, he didn't actaully sell me the idea that I'd actually like his music or want to buy it. Rather he sold me that he was quite out there musically....
I don't understand at all what you mean by the bolded above. I kind of thought he did a lot and more than most.

bekalc said:
Kris himself said that if instruments were not allowed on the show, that he doesn't think he'd do well. He said it was instruments that allowed him to do as well as he did because he was able to play on his strengths as a musician. I'm hoping that Kris in time will use these skills and make some beautiful music. I think he is talented enough to do so....
But it was a singing contest, wasn't it???

bekalc said:
Some of the best singers ever didn't have the best vocals..
Like who???

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Dee..........thank you, you took the words right out of my mouth.............42

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I just listened to a recording of Adam singing "Come To Me, Bend To Me" from Brigadoon over at UTube.com & was blown away by the beauty & purity of his voice. The boy can sing any type of music. It's all up to him.

I just listened to a recording of Adam singing "Come To Me, Bend To Me" from Brigadoon over at UTube.com & was blown away by the beauty & purity of his voice. The boy can sing any type of music. It's all up to him.
Do you think Andrew Lloyd Weber stole 'Come to Me, Bend to Me' for his 'Music of the Night' (Phantom)? :yes: My circle of friends had a discussion about this when the show's tunes were released.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Just listened to it.........my gosh, that was gorgeous..........he's a wonderful tenor............42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Just heard on the news that Kris had some help for all those votes from a phone company. They paid for people's texts messages and also showed them how to send 10,000 votes at once. Not really a fair outcome. So it was rigged after all.

:disagree:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Dee.........wow, that was gorgeous too. What an amazing talent.........:bow:42

aside from who should have won, What is with AT&T going Arkansas and giving out free cell phones and showing them how to have their vote show up as 10,000 votes. Oh, the capitalism of it all!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bekalc, I have been waiting for a response to some of my questions. I appreciate what you have to say.

bekalc

Record Breaker
But it was a singing contest, wasn't it???

It stopped being just that when instrument were allowed in and artistry became factored in. Now lots of people vote based on who they are more likely to buy from. If it was just about who was the best technical singer, have them sing scales and be done with it.

The fact is why should people vote for Adam if his singing style annoys them?

Like who???

Some successful singers without great technical voices: Diana Ross, the Beattles, Carole King, James Taylor, Neil Diamond, Rod Steward, the Rolling Stones, (can I go on....?) Norah Jones not the best technical sinner. Neither IMO is Alicia Keys. Both create good music though.

Should we throw all of these people out because they don't have Mariah Carey like voices? Doesn't in a lot of ways some of their music stand up longer than Mariah's.

The thing is your ability to technically sing means nothing, if well I'm going to hate the music you make. I've heard some of Adam's original work and it's absolutely horrid. Words cannot describe just how IMO bad some of those songs are. For someone to put their name on it....Just No. NO. NO. NO

In terms of what works musically Kris is LIGHTYEARS ahead of Adam judging by his original stuff and what he did on the show.

People compare Adam to Freddie and I think people who do that fail to recognize what an amazing artist Freddie Mercury was.

Yes Adam has the voice to sing Freddie Mercury's music. But Freddie Mercury was way more than just a good voice. Freddie was a classically trained pianist. He also played guitar. He was a chief song writer for Queen and they created great music...Adam doesn't play one instrument, and well the songs he did write are IMO horrific.

Without his huge range Freddie I bet would have still been fairly successful if he could have kept his songwriting/instrument playing abilities.

There are a lot of great technical singers out there.

I will say this though if it was Allison vs Kris, I'd have gone with Allison. I think she's the most likely to be successful of the lot.