Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 186

Thread: American Idol Season 8

  1. #136
    Custom Title merrywidow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,381
    It will be interesting to see how many of those who voted for Kris actually support him by buying his albums & tickets to his own personal concerts. I hope he isn't disappointed.

  2. #137
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Methuen Mass.
    Posts
    1,263
    I voted for him and I will be buying his albums and going to see him. (if he comes to my area)

  3. #138
    Arm Chair Skate Fan show 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, Ca.
    Posts
    3,206
    Dee, I couldn't have summed it up better. Kris looks like a nice guy with an average voice, but Adam is a cut way above Kris's ability. I was hoping this year America would pick a truly talented individual with the charisma and voice of a true star. But once again, they fell short and instead of picking "Prime Rib", they played it safe and picked "a nice cut of beef"......................I'm not sure I'll watch next year.......42

  4. #139
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    In an MSNBC poll (not scientific) Adam running ahead of Kriss by a big margin. I liked Kris with his mellow tones and playing those instruments but even the nerdy looking one with glasses could do it better on vocals than Kris.

  5. #140
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,073
    Honestly, I voted for Kris. This was the only time I voted this season. I voted for Kris because I liked his style of music better than I liked Adam's style of music.

    I love, absolutley love Adam's voice. It's gorgeous and I like Adam's personalitly too. He comes accross as soo sweet and kind even if he is a bit out there. BUT, I hated the way Adam used his upper register all the time. It was like nails on the chalk board for me. Hated it, hated it, hated it. It was frustrating because he would start out so beautiful and then he'd start doing the screaming.
    Not only that, but a lot of Adam's song choices I didn't like either. Mad World sounded whiney to me. Ring of Fire sounded like tripped out 70's. And well everything else he really played well safe.

    In contrast I liked Kris's musical choices, and there's something about his voice that moves me. He doesn't have the best voice in the world, but at his best, when he really connects... Plus, I liked his style of music the best..

  6. #141
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    I think Adam's rock persona was what put Kris over the edge more than his perceived "gayness".

    I didn't vote. I haven't voted since Taylor Hicks... but I prefer Kris' style of music to Adam's... I mean I like the big hits from Queen and the Stones... and Aerosmith has a couple of good ones... but I'm not a fan of the genre... I'm more of a ballad, country fan... which Kris fits.

    How has David Cook done in his year as the reigning Idol? I don't think he blew down the doors or anything and he was a 'rocker,' too.



    on a completely random note - the Alaska State Fair gets David Archuletta as one of the performers... blah. Why can't we get someone like Kelly or Carrie??? or Taylor???

  7. #142
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I think what put Kris over was the little girl votes. Pretty boy, good singer, never fails. What all these shows need are registrations for voting.

  8. #143
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I think what put Kris over was the little girl votes. Pretty boy, good singer, never fails. What all these shows need are registrations for voting.
    That's ridiculous Joesitz. I worked with junior high students a lot and many liked Adam thought he was cool. Not to mention if tweenies were really so powerful than Archuleta, Rj, and a lot of other people would have won.

    Kris won because a lot of people preferred his style of music over Adams. If you go to where Kris voters were, you'll say that one said over and over again...By most of them. Adam has a very good voice but his style of singing is not my cup of tea.

    Kris appealed to the more mainstream fans and I think given how he sang on the show and how Adam sang, Kris has a more wider base of appeal.

  9. #144
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,616
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Kris won because a lot of people preferred his style of music over Adams.
    What is his style????

  10. #145
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Wow, I liked Kris too, but I preferred Adam as a modern day singer while I thought Kriss would be wonderful playing piano in a Lounge singing favorites.

    My all time favorite lounge singer was Bobby Short. have you heard of him or am I the oldest one in this cabaret?

    btw, does anyone know if kriss won by a landslide? Probably older people could not be bothered voting.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 05-22-2009 at 11:40 AM.

  11. #146
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    That's ridiculous Joesitz. I worked with junior high students a lot and many liked Adam thought he was cool. Not to mention if tweenies were really so powerful than Archuleta, Rj, and a lot of other people would have won.

    Kris won because a lot of people preferred his style of music over Adams. If you go to where Kris voters were, you'll say that one said over and over again...By most of them. Adam has a very good voice but his style of singing is not my cup of tea.

    Kris appealed to the more mainstream fans and I think given how he sang on the show and how Adam sang, Kris has a more wider base of appeal.
    I think "conservative" votes, more so than tweenies votes, worked in favor of Kris. After we see who has more successful career, then we can discuss who has more mainstream appeal. I mean, I doubt the likes of Lady Gaga, Amy Winehouse or even David Bowie would've won AI.

  12. #147
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    I think "conservative" votes, more so than tweenies votes, worked in favor of Kris. After we see who has more successful career, then we can discuss who has more mainstream appeal. I mean, I doubt the likes of Lady Gaga, Amy Winehouse or even David Bowie would've won AI.
    Well of course. Look I never doubted that Adam has the potential to be HUGE Kris. BUT, I think that in order for Adam to be really big, he's going to have to tone down the upper register.

    I mean Lady Gaga has a lot of personality outlandlishness too. But her big song is radio friendly techno pop. And no screaming. I don't really think Adam was all that original either. He was a throwback to 70's, 80's... And I think a lot of people sent a pretty strong message that they have moved past that.

    As for Kris's style. It seems to be aucostic light rock. I think he'll go the pop rock. He also I think has a bit of RB in him. (With songs like Aint No Sunshine)
    If he can make music like he did Heartless, I think he could be bigger than people think.
    Kris does have a gift it seems of being able to reach people and make them feel with his music. I think people need to be cautioned about well he doesn't have the biggest voice. Because there are a lot of people who are legends in the music industry who didn't have the biggest voice.

    Kris was just as much if not more of a risk taker than Adam, he was just more understated about it.

  13. #148
    Arm Chair Skate Fan show 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, Ca.
    Posts
    3,206
    Kris seems to reach people because he was on the t.v. for the past gazillion weeks and he's cute. This is a money making business for American Idol. Look at the past winners who had nice voices but didn't make a huge amount of money, Rueben, Fantasia, Taylor........Justl istening to Kris, his voice sounds like an awful lot of young male singers these days..........just pleasant but ordinary. The music business doesn't make much money on "ordinary"...........42

  14. #149
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,073
    Quote Originally Posted by show 42 View Post
    Kris seems to reach people because he was on the t.v. for the past gazillion weeks and he's cute. This is a money making business for American Idol. Look at the past winners who had nice voices but didn't make a huge amount of money, Rueben, Fantasia, Taylor........Justl istening to Kris, his voice sounds like an awful lot of young male singers these days..........just pleasant but ordinary. The music business doesn't make much money on "ordinary"...........42
    No. I think if you listen to some of his recording, it comes through there too. Falling Slowly is a gorgeous, gorgeous recording... So is To Make You Feel My love.

    There were a lot of good looking singers who have NOT one this competition. Justin, RJ, David Archuleta (cute as can be) So to sit there and say that he won because he's cute is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong those good looks don't hurt.

    Kris didn't just win because of his good looks. People really liked his arrangements. Kris came up with very creative arrangements throughout this show. Aint No Sunshine I think is where Kris went from the cute one, to gaining some respect...And he got a LOT of indie respect for doing Falling Slowly. If you go on Kanye's blog, they were loving Kris's rendition of Heartless.

    In the end, it's going to depend on what kind of music he makes. But to say he just won because of his looks is ridiculous.
    Last edited by bekalc; 05-22-2009 at 07:45 PM.

  15. #150
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Well of course. Look I never doubted that Adam has the potential to be HUGE Kris. BUT, I think that in order for Adam to be really big, he's going to have to tone down the upper register.
    (snip)
    Kris was just as much if not more of a risk taker than Adam, he was just more understated about it.
    Adam got nearly as many votes as Kris. On another day he might even have gotten more. We dunno Let his producer tell him how to fix his voice so that he will sell more recordings than a crooner. There is nothing automcatic about the future for Kris. If his recording sell, he will do fine. maybe they will remake a beach blanket movie with hanna montana.

    We also have to see the close call second place Adam what lies ahead. I have to grant you that a straight crooner will get more offers than an apparent gay singer will.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •