Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: American Idol Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Adam got nearly as many votes as Kris. On another day he might even have gotten more. We dunno Let his producer tell him how to fix his voice so that he will sell more recordings than a crooner. There is nothing automcatic about the future for Kris. If his recording sell, he will do fine. maybe they will remake a beach blanket movie with hanna montana.

We also have to see the close call second place Adam what lies ahead. I have to grant you that a straight crooner will get more offers than an apparent gay singer will.
    According to sources, it wasn't a close call. Kris won in a landslide. I think Adam has the capablity to be huge. He's an amazing talent. But I'm just not sure about his musical style. He loves 70's glam rock, I don't.

As for Kris, one thing to point out is that Kris DID take risks in this competition. Choosing Falling Slowly was a HUGE risk. Everyone else took on well known songs that they knew people loved. And Kris took on an indie song, that wasn't well known by voters.

Don't underestimate that this actually didn't gain for Kris a heck of a lot of respect because it showed that this guy has a pretty good knowledge of music outside of top 40. The guy essentially went "Indie" for that moment. And it showed that he has good taste in music. In fact, I feel quite strongly that for the most part Kris has better taste in music than Lambert.

maybe they will remake a beach blanket movie with hanna montana.

Adam will be just fine. Kris was good enough to win it - it is just a matter of "over all talent" being overlooked for likability. Which is fine. Don't think Adam was really good for the whole concept of "American Idol." I think Danny should have won this. And then would "break out" on his own (which A.I. makes difficult I'm sure) with a career in "entertainment." Not just sining but that as a foundation. Adam really does associate / appeal to the "more • refining • music appreciator genre" than "likable • sweetheart • Charming • quality • fan club"

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    No. I think if you listen to some of his recording, it comes through there too. Falling Slowly is a gorgeous, gorgeous recording... So is To Make You Feel My love.

There were a lot of good looking singers who have NOT one this competition. Justin, RJ, David Archuleta (cute as can be) So to sit there and say that he won because he's cute is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong those good looks don't hurt.

Kris didn't just win because of his good looks. People really liked his arrangements. Kris came up with very creative arrangements throughout this show. Aint No Sunshine I think is where Kris went from the cute one, to gaining some respect...And he got a LOT of indie respect for doing Falling Slowly. If you go on Kanye's blog, they were loving Kris's rendition of Heartless.

In the end, it's going to depend on what kind of music he makes. But to say he just won because of his looks is ridiculous.
    I missed him sing, Falling Slowly? -goes to youtube-

Adam got nearly as many votes as Kris.
    did he? is there an article stating one way or the other? Ryan Seacrest, for the first time, didn't mention how close of a call it was... which we've already mentioned...

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I want to know how many votes separated the two also. They were on Larry King's show last night; Ryan sat in for Larry. They are going to have another show Monday where you can submit questions. Here is an interview with Danny.

Danny's Interview

I would imagine that Kris won by a large margin considering that he received votes from the former Danny fans.

good point.

Regardless of the amount of votes Kriss received, the question continues to be at what age level were the majority of voters. his personal appearance was, I am sure a big factor for vote getting. He's sooooo normal. No one is saying he doesn't have a nice voice, but Adam and Cokely had genuinely better voices. Ask your voice coaches, to say differently. I suppose that doesn't matter because the voting public wants more han just the best of voices.

Bekalk You are a die hard fan of Kris. I won't take that away from you.

Regardless of the amount of votes Kriss received, the question continues to be at what age level were the majority of voters. his personal appearance was, I am sure a big factor for vote getting. He's sooooo normal. No one is saying he doesn't have a nice voice, but Adam and Cokely had genuinely better voices. Ask your voice coaches, to say differently. I suppose that doesn't matter because the voting public wants more han just the best of voices.

Bekalk You are a die hard fan of Kris. I won't take that away from you.
    I'm not a die heart fan at all. If Adam had learned how to tone down the falsetto scream, I would have voted four hours straight for Adam..... (And I only voted a couple of times for Kris.)

But I refuse to vote for someone who has to spend every single song with an Axel Rose screech. Even if it is in perfectly "tune." Except for most of his A Change is going to Come. Everything about Adam's singing feels complicated. Even with Mad World it's like look I can sing entirely in falseto. Look at me. I fully admit that Adam is an incredible, incredible singer with incredible technique. But I don't care for his musical taste at all. And If I hate the music your going to likely do, well no thanks

As for Danny, he had all the personality of a turnup truck and a horrific attitude and he liked to belt it out just like Adam.

Of course Adam/Danny were better technical singers than Kris. I'm not an idiot. But once again I'll take nuance and subtlety any day over bombast... And at his best there's a real gentless to Kris's voice. I suspect too that Kris is in voice lessons now and his voice will improve.
    Last edited by bekalc; 05-24-2009 at 03:39 AM.

Bekalk - You win!!! basically because I do not care about pop music. I'm one of those long haired serious music lovers - very much into philharmonic, opera, recitals, etc.

I should not even be writing about this contest, but I love competitions.

you don't have long hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    you don't have long hair!
    I just wanted to be stereotyped but I'm really baseball capped for competitions.

I'm not one to beat a dead horse, but I just listened again to Kris Allen's "Falling Slowly" and quite honestly, that could have been sung better by any beginning glee club singer. Nothing special, nothing stands out. Compared to the vocal quality of Adam and Danny, I am beginning to think America is tone deaf and just into "really nice mainstream guys" for their winner.......on to the next competition......42

Quote Originally Posted by show 42 View Post
    I'm not one to beat a dead horse, but I just listened again to Kris Allen's "Falling Slowly" and quite honestly, that could have been sung better by any beginning glee club singer. Nothing special, nothing stands out. Compared to the vocal quality of Adam and Danny, I am beginning to think America is tone deaf and just into "really nice mainstream guys" for their winner.......on to the next competition......42
    I think it is the WHO voted column. There are many Americans who didn't vote at all but watched the show, like me.

One last comment from me about the "cute" conspiracy. To say Kris won mostly on his vocals is just plain silly. I sat in the audience in the early 1960's when the Beatles were playing the Cow Palace in San Francisco, at that time a huge venue. The screaming from the young female fans was intense for the full 30 minutes of play that you couldn't hear much of the music let alone decide whether or not the vocals were good. Cute sells and these guys were adorable. Fans were not buying records just for their "Fab" voices. I'm not saying that's all Kris has going for himself, but when the vocals are just "good" and not great, cute doesn't hurt. There I am done............42 out.........

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast