American Idol Season 8 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

American Idol Season 8

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Adam's rock persona was what put Kris over the edge more than his perceived "gayness".

I didn't vote. I haven't voted since Taylor Hicks... but I prefer Kris' style of music to Adam's... I mean I like the big hits from Queen and the Stones... and Aerosmith has a couple of good ones... but I'm not a fan of the genre... I'm more of a ballad, country fan... which Kris fits.

How has David Cook done in his year as the reigning Idol? I don't think he blew down the doors or anything and he was a 'rocker,' too.

on a completely random note - the Alaska State Fair gets David Archuletta as one of the performers... blah. Why can't we get someone like Kelly or Carrie??? or Taylor???

I think what put Kris over was the little girl votes. Pretty boy, good singer, never fails. What all these shows need are registrations for voting.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think what put Kris over was the little girl votes. Pretty boy, good singer, never fails. What all these shows need are registrations for voting.

That's ridiculous Joesitz. I worked with junior high students a lot and many liked Adam thought he was cool. Not to mention if tweenies were really so powerful than Archuleta, Rj, and a lot of other people would have won.

Kris won because a lot of people preferred his style of music over Adams. If you go to where Kris voters were, you'll say that one said over and over again...By most of them. Adam has a very good voice but his style of singing is not my cup of tea.

Kris appealed to the more mainstream fans and I think given how he sang on the show and how Adam sang, Kris has a more wider base of appeal.

Wow, I liked Kris too, but I preferred Adam as a modern day singer while I thought Kriss would be wonderful playing piano in a Lounge singing favorites.

My all time favorite lounge singer was Bobby Short. have you heard of him or am I the oldest one in this cabaret?

btw, does anyone know if kriss won by a landslide? Probably older people could not be bothered voting.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
That's ridiculous Joesitz. I worked with junior high students a lot and many liked Adam thought he was cool. Not to mention if tweenies were really so powerful than Archuleta, Rj, and a lot of other people would have won.

Kris won because a lot of people preferred his style of music over Adams. If you go to where Kris voters were, you'll say that one said over and over again...By most of them. Adam has a very good voice but his style of singing is not my cup of tea.

Kris appealed to the more mainstream fans and I think given how he sang on the show and how Adam sang, Kris has a more wider base of appeal.

I think "conservative" votes, more so than tweenies votes, worked in favor of Kris. After we see who has more successful career, then we can discuss who has more mainstream appeal. I mean, I doubt the likes of Lady Gaga, Amy Winehouse or even David Bowie would've won AI.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think "conservative" votes, more so than tweenies votes, worked in favor of Kris. After we see who has more successful career, then we can discuss who has more mainstream appeal. I mean, I doubt the likes of Lady Gaga, Amy Winehouse or even David Bowie would've won AI.

Well of course. Look I never doubted that Adam has the potential to be HUGE Kris. BUT, I think that in order for Adam to be really big, he's going to have to tone down the upper register.

I mean Lady Gaga has a lot of personality outlandlishness too. But her big song is radio friendly techno pop. And no screaming. I don't really think Adam was all that original either. He was a throwback to 70's, 80's... And I think a lot of people sent a pretty strong message that they have moved past that.

As for Kris's style. It seems to be aucostic light rock. I think he'll go the pop rock. He also I think has a bit of RB in him. (With songs like Aint No Sunshine)
If he can make music like he did Heartless, I think he could be bigger than people think.
Kris does have a gift it seems of being able to reach people and make them feel with his music. I think people need to be cautioned about well he doesn't have the biggest voice. Because there are a lot of people who are legends in the music industry who didn't have the biggest voice.

Kris was just as much if not more of a risk taker than Adam, he was just more understated about it.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Kris seems to reach people because he was on the t.v. for the past gazillion weeks and he's cute. This is a money making business for American Idol. Look at the past winners who had nice voices but didn't make a huge amount of money, Rueben, Fantasia, Taylor........Justl istening to Kris, his voice sounds like an awful lot of young male singers these days..........just pleasant but ordinary. The music business doesn't make much money on "ordinary"...........42

bekalc

Record Breaker
Kris seems to reach people because he was on the t.v. for the past gazillion weeks and he's cute. This is a money making business for American Idol. Look at the past winners who had nice voices but didn't make a huge amount of money, Rueben, Fantasia, Taylor........Justl istening to Kris, his voice sounds like an awful lot of young male singers these days..........just pleasant but ordinary. The music business doesn't make much money on "ordinary"...........42

No. I think if you listen to some of his recording, it comes through there too. Falling Slowly is a gorgeous, gorgeous recording... So is To Make You Feel My love.

There were a lot of good looking singers who have NOT one this competition. Justin, RJ, David Archuleta (cute as can be) So to sit there and say that he won because he's cute is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong those good looks don't hurt.

Kris didn't just win because of his good looks. People really liked his arrangements. Kris came up with very creative arrangements throughout this show. Aint No Sunshine I think is where Kris went from the cute one, to gaining some respect...And he got a LOT of indie respect for doing Falling Slowly. If you go on Kanye's blog, they were loving Kris's rendition of Heartless.

In the end, it's going to depend on what kind of music he makes. But to say he just won because of his looks is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Well of course. Look I never doubted that Adam has the potential to be HUGE Kris. BUT, I think that in order for Adam to be really big, he's going to have to tone down the upper register.
(snip)
Kris was just as much if not more of a risk taker than Adam, he was just more understated about it.
Adam got nearly as many votes as Kris. On another day he might even have gotten more. We dunno Let his producer tell him how to fix his voice so that he will sell more recordings than a crooner. There is nothing automcatic about the future for Kris. If his recording sell, he will do fine. maybe they will remake a beach blanket movie with hanna montana.

We also have to see the close call second place Adam what lies ahead. I have to grant you that a straight crooner will get more offers than an apparent gay singer will.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Adam got nearly as many votes as Kris. On another day he might even have gotten more. We dunno Let his producer tell him how to fix his voice so that he will sell more recordings than a crooner. There is nothing automcatic about the future for Kris. If his recording sell, he will do fine. maybe they will remake a beach blanket movie with hanna montana.

We also have to see the close call second place Adam what lies ahead. I have to grant you that a straight crooner will get more offers than an apparent gay singer will.

According to sources, it wasn't a close call. Kris won in a landslide. I think Adam has the capablity to be huge. He's an amazing talent. But I'm just not sure about his musical style. He loves 70's glam rock, I don't.

As for Kris, one thing to point out is that Kris DID take risks in this competition. Choosing Falling Slowly was a HUGE risk. Everyone else took on well known songs that they knew people loved. And Kris took on an indie song, that wasn't well known by voters.

Don't underestimate that this actually didn't gain for Kris a heck of a lot of respect because it showed that this guy has a pretty good knowledge of music outside of top 40. The guy essentially went "Indie" for that moment. And it showed that he has good taste in music. In fact, I feel quite strongly that for the most part Kris has better taste in music than Lambert.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
maybe they will remake a beach blanket movie with hanna montana.
:rofl:
:agree:

Adam will be just fine. Kris was good enough to win it - it is just a matter of "over all talent" being overlooked for likability. Which is fine. Don't think Adam was really good for the whole concept of "American Idol." I think Danny should have won this. And then would "break out" on his own (which A.I. makes difficult I'm sure) ;) with a career in "entertainment." Not just sining but that as a foundation. Adam really does associate / appeal to the "more • refining • music appreciator genre" than "likable • sweetheart • Charming • quality • fan club" :yes:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
No. I think if you listen to some of his recording, it comes through there too. Falling Slowly is a gorgeous, gorgeous recording... So is To Make You Feel My love.

There were a lot of good looking singers who have NOT one this competition. Justin, RJ, David Archuleta (cute as can be) So to sit there and say that he won because he's cute is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong those good looks don't hurt.

Kris didn't just win because of his good looks. People really liked his arrangements. Kris came up with very creative arrangements throughout this show. Aint No Sunshine I think is where Kris went from the cute one, to gaining some respect...And he got a LOT of indie respect for doing Falling Slowly. If you go on Kanye's blog, they were loving Kris's rendition of Heartless.

In the end, it's going to depend on what kind of music he makes. But to say he just won because of his looks is ridiculous.

I missed him sing, Falling Slowly? -goes to youtube-

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Adam got nearly as many votes as Kris.

did he? is there an article stating one way or the other? Ryan Seacrest, for the first time, didn't mention how close of a call it was... which we've already mentioned...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to know how many votes separated the two also. They were on Larry King's show last night; Ryan sat in for Larry. They are going to have another show Monday where you can submit questions. Here is an interview with Danny.

Danny's Interview

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I would imagine that Kris won by a large margin considering that he received votes from the former Danny fans.

Regardless of the amount of votes Kriss received, the question continues to be at what age level were the majority of voters. his personal appearance was, I am sure a big factor for vote getting. He's sooooo normal. No one is saying he doesn't have a nice voice, but Adam and Cokely had genuinely better voices. Ask your voice coaches, to say differently. I suppose that doesn't matter because the voting public wants more han just the best of voices.

Bekalk You are a die hard fan of Kris. I won't take that away from you. :)

bekalc

Record Breaker
Regardless of the amount of votes Kriss received, the question continues to be at what age level were the majority of voters. his personal appearance was, I am sure a big factor for vote getting. He's sooooo normal. No one is saying he doesn't have a nice voice, but Adam and Cokely had genuinely better voices. Ask your voice coaches, to say differently. I suppose that doesn't matter because the voting public wants more han just the best of voices.

Bekalk You are a die hard fan of Kris. I won't take that away from you. :)

I'm not a die heart fan at all. If Adam had learned how to tone down the falsetto scream, I would have voted four hours straight for Adam..... (And I only voted a couple of times for Kris.)

But I refuse to vote for someone who has to spend every single song with an Axel Rose screech. Even if it is in perfectly "tune." Except for most of his A Change is going to Come. Everything about Adam's singing feels complicated. Even with Mad World it's like look I can sing entirely in falseto. Look at me. I fully admit that Adam is an incredible, incredible singer with incredible technique. But I don't care for his musical taste at all. And If I hate the music your going to likely do, well no thanks

As for Danny, he had all the personality of a turnup truck and a horrific attitude and he liked to belt it out just like Adam.

Of course Adam/Danny were better technical singers than Kris. I'm not an idiot. But once again I'll take nuance and subtlety any day over bombast... And at his best there's a real gentless to Kris's voice. I suspect too that Kris is in voice lessons now and his voice will improve.

Last edited:
Bekalk - You win!!! basically because I do not care about pop music. I'm one of those long haired serious music lovers - very much into philharmonic, opera, recitals, etc.

I should not even be writing about this contest, but I love competitions.