TV Alert (U.S.): GPF on MyNetworkTV Monday Night, 2/16 | Golden Skate

TV Alert (U.S.): GPF on MyNetworkTV Monday Night, 2/16

R.D.

Record Breaker
I caught this on FSU. Kind of interesting, this one just popped up.

"Figure Skating: ISU Grand Prix" airs on MyNetworkTV from 8-9PM ET (1 hour) on Monday night, Feb 16th. Months after the fact, but at least there will be an additional hour of skating this season on over-the-air TV. Don't know what they'll show but they might show performances of the champions.

In Baltimore, MyNetworkTV is Channel 24 (WUTB-TV); digital channel is 24.1 (WUTB-DT): for other cities check your local lineup.

It is not listed by my Windows Media Center as being in HD, so expect an SD broadcast, although some shows have been mislabeled before.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Awesome! Thanks for posting, Red Dog!

When I saw your post, I checked tvguide.com and that site also confirmed the listing as Monday night, 2/16 from 8-9 PM ET. MyNetworkTV is channel 55 for me, so I'll definitely be able to tune in. I wonder what they can manage to show in only 1 hour. I would imagine (hopefully) since Jeremy Abbott became the 1st US man ever to win the senior GPF that he will be shown. Maybe Davis/White's bronze medal FD will be shown? Likely, Asada's and Kim's LPs will be shown. Johnny Weir's bronze medal LP? Delobel/Schoenfelder's gold medal FD? Pang/Tong's gold medal LP? That's 7 long programs. I don't see how they'd be able to manage showing more than 8 programs (even that may be asking for too much here in the States) in such a short allotted time. Oh well, it's better than nothing.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
*bumping this up for anyone who may have missed the alert since it airs tonight.* ;)

Tammi

On the Ice
Thank you. I found it on my channel lineup and set my DVR. The description doesn't say what they're planning on showing, so maybe just highlights from all the disciplines.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
UPN is the station that is showing it here in Alaska... UPN (up here at least) is partnered with the CW network so people might check there too

jcoates

Medalist
This is on Channel 20 for over the air and Comcast viewing in the Washington DC metro area.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The commercial for the event that just aired featured Mao, Yu-Na, Pang/Tong, Johnny, and Jeremy, so it appears those 5 performances are a sure bet. :)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, the broadcast consisted of Delobel/Schoenfelder's winning free dance, Mao Asada's gold medal LP, Yu-Na Kim's silver medal LP, a brief summary of the top 3 pairs - P/T, Z/Z, and S/S, Johnny Weir's bronze medal LP, Jeremy Abbott's gold medal LP, and Takahiko Kozuka's silver medal LP. Peter Carruthers was the sole commentator.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Hey- I'm happy for ANY skating on TV.

At least it was a competition and not a made for TV pro skater mess.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
sounds like it was treated no differently...

I'll watch anyway... but I'd rather watch a pro skater mess... to an amatuer one ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm watching it now. Contrary to what I said in my first post, this broadcast is indeed available in HDTV. WMC doesn't get it right all the time. ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
OK, watched it (or at least the segments I cared about :laugh: ). After this, it's clear to me why I'm completely uninspired by the top performers. Asada I found completely bleh, even with the two 3As. She does not engage the audience and instead, skates inwardly. So cold and so boring IMHO. And Kim Yu Na- that was an off-night for her. I've seen her skate better than that (I believe at SA). Also bleh. The HD picture seemed to make this even more apparent, surprisingly (as opposed to watching on Ice Network).

Some notes about the broadcast: like I said, it was in HD (720p). At the end it said "IMG Sports Media" so that's who produced it, I guess, and then MNT decided to show it. Since MNT does not have a proper sports division (i.e. like NBC Sports), an outside entity must produce any sports broadcasts it shows. Which means I'm not that hopeful that they'll show more stuff, unless an exclusive agreement with another rights holder (like Ice Network) is reached- and one can forget about live coverage. And Carruthers was straight and to the point. Not much rambling which is good. Should always be kept to a minimum. But I tend to prefer a softer voice in the booth, like say, Nancy Kerrigan.

ETA: Despite what I said, still glad some skating was shown, and it was on OTA TV (since I lack cable).

Last edited:

flying camel

Medalist
I wish they would have shown some of the GP events, but oh well. Have to agree about Mao & Yu - Na. They were nothing special, still way overscored. Mao's triple axel looked good, but after that she does nothing else.

Since it is not on cable. I got mine on regular channel 9 standard. It would be nice if the USFS could discuss fs transmission with that network for all future events.

Where did this channel get the tape? From IN or NBC?

mskater93

Record Breaker
I wish they would have shown some of the GP events, but oh well. Have to agree about Mao & Yu - Na. They were nothing special, still way overscored. Mao's triple axel looked good, but after that she does nothing else.

I thought the triple Axels both looked iffy which explains why this was the only time so far that she's gotten credit for both (including her own nationals).

Part of Mao's issue is the music is so repetitive and, really, this is hard music to choreograph anything but dance to, although her face was SO blank and the telegraphing jumps was like Kostner (especially the flip) and the up and down arms going into it was distracting (no it was NOT choreo, it's like the Zhang wind up).

Kim was just off. She looked like she was trying WAY too hard.

My husband hasn't watched a lot of skating with me over the last couple years, so when he saw Kozuka almost face plant the 3A and then found out he got second, he was like "this scoring is total crap, so a clean skate gets less of reward than something like THAT which is totally distracting"...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I was happy to see the little bit of skating they showed...the sound was really bad though, did anybody else notice that and Peter might as well not have been there. It was great to see Jeremy skate like that, but I feel like Johnny should have been second. Kozuka had some nice edges and low sit spins, but I feel like he should not be getting as high PCS for the LP as the SP. He is not very musical with romeo and juliet.
Showing Delebel and Shonfelder's FD was okay, but with nothing to compare it with I can't tell if they should have won or not.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My husband hasn't watched a lot of skating with me over the last couple years, so when he saw Kozuka almost face plant the 3A and then found out he got second, he was like "this scoring is total crap, so a clean skate gets less of reward than something like THAT which is totally distracting"...

This is the problem with broadcasting only 1 hour of coverage. There was no time to show the short programs where Weir fell on his 3Axel and managed only 4th place in that segment while Kozuka skated an excellent SP and won that segment, thus allowing him to have enough points to finish with the silver medal. Johnny did place 2nd to Takahiko's 3rd place in the LP segment. Weir was too far behind after the SP to clinch the silver.