And if Stephane Lambiel came back? | Golden Skate

And if Stephane Lambiel came back?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I have no doubt he would be a serious OGM contender if he returned, and it would be lovely to see him in competition again. On the other hand, is this like the famed Plushenko comeback, rumored every few months but never actually happening?

(I'd rather have Stephane back than Plush).

rosee

On the Ice
There's an interesting part in the article. They don't mention his 3A but his quad.

Cédric Monod said [...a long paragraph where they talk about how stephane "feels" the music and skate with his heart]
"Stephane's weapon was the Quad. Can he do without?
Yes, if we look at this years' results - You can be the Champion or on the podium without Quad.
No in the sense that Stephane is no calculator. Can he really be tactical?
"
Because of the rules today that don't encourage risks. Doing two clean programs, allows you to be on the podium. A quad is worth 9.8 points, a 3lz/3T 10 points. SO?
"If Stephane was in Helsinki he would have been on the podium. In LA he could be in the Top 5"

MissIzzy

Final Flight
(I'd rather have Stephane back than Plush).

Me too. I recently heard somewhere that it was "confirmed" that Plushenko was coming back for the Olympics, which, true or not, really irritates me.
(Though could you imagine Plushy's reaction if he did come back only to lose to a 19-year-old Canadian kid?)

Kati

On the Ice
I'd LOVE to see him coming back, his skating is so special and I miss it very much. But I doubt it. He has had injuries and motivation problems, his triple axel was never very secure, and he already has, after all, two World gold medals and an Olympic silver, amongst other medals. He can be so proud of his career. I only wish I will have an opportunity to see his skating live at some show, at least once!!

Re: Stephane - not interested in Plush's return.

If a skater does a quad 9.8 points and a 3z3t 10 Pts that will beat the skater with just the 3x3. Joubert, Verner, Daisuke, Lysacek, Abbott can do those. What are the odds that one of the five will actually land a quad and a 3z3t?

Stephane may need that Quad as well as the lesser knowns Ponsero, Mroz and Kozuka. and Chan?

Medusa

Record Breaker
I might be mistaken here, but I actually read that Stéphane landed a Quad at Art on Ice. The performance that was broadcasted on Swiss TV didn't include a Quad, but all the jumps looked solid in that performance (I think Triple Toe, Triple Flip, Triple Loop, Double Axel).

seniorita

Record Breaker
I realy hope one of this comeback becomes true. I never get irritated from come backs, if they win their spot it is more than welcome and even if they lose to a 19 Chan, both lambiel and plush have a history behind and their carrier is not ruined.
In Europe not many people can fill the gap now, maybe Contesti but he is already 25 and who knows?I have not seen anyone close to Labiel's skating (and i think i ll wait a lot!) and about Plush, it has been three seasons that the russian newcomers dont catch up, so voronov and borodulin on one hand...plushy on the other...well...:think:
Until I wait for Brezina to grow up a bit.:p

Lambiel is unique, his entire skate brings the spectator in.

Plusheko it's just the jumps and if one likes the pauses for applause.

Try this for rationale: If a skater can win without a quad, can a skater win with a quad but without a 3A?

Eurofan

On the Ice
Try this for rationale: If a skater can win without a quad, can a skater win with a quad but without a 3A?

If the points for all the other elements add up he can.

Interesting little article. Thanks for posting, Rosee.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the points for all the other elements add up he can.

Yes, and for Stephane, those points do add up through his amazing spins, dynamic footwork sequences, superior musical interpretation, performance execution, choreography, and skating skills. He could go without the 3Axel in the SP and LP and add more transitions into and out of his jumps to get those positive GOE points to increase and always go for the highest levels on all of his non-jump elements.

His SP jump layout could be:
4toe
3Lutz+3toe
2Axel

His LP jump layout could be:
4toe
3Lutz
3loop
2Axel
x3flip+3toe+2loop
x3Lutz+2toe
x3flip
x3Salchow+2toe

Lambiel, unlike many of the other athletes who have quit competing, has kept up his skill level pretty well, jump-wise. Like Medusa, I've seen him land numerous difficult triples (minus the 3Axel) in his exhibition routines, and land them well. He has kept himself in seemingly good condition to make a comeback quite possible if he wishes to do so.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yes, and for Stephane, those points do add up through his amazing spins, dynamic footwork sequences, superior musical interpretation, performance execution, choreography, and skating skills. He could go without the 3Axel in the SP and LP and add more transitions into and out of his jumps to get those positive GOE points to increase and always go for the highest levels on all of his non-jump elements.

His SP jump layout could be:
4toe
3Lutz+3toe
2Axel
museksk8r, that doesn't look right. Wouldn't it make more sense to do a 4-3 and a solo lutz rather than attempt a quad out of footwork?

I think Stephane could win without a 3A, but I find it hard to believe that he'd want to leave it out; I assume if he comes back he'll give it his best shot and only give up on the 3A if it was clear that he could not make it work at least semi-consistently.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
museksk8r, that doesn't look right. Wouldn't it make more sense to do a 4-3 and a solo lutz rather than attempt a quad out of footwork

Well, I did the outline without the 4+3 because I think back to the stupid technical panel at Worlds 2008 that downgraded his 3toe in the SP there. Coincidentally, Jeremy Abbott did this same layout at Nationals 2008 when he turned his planned 4toe+3toe into a solo 4toe, but then changed his planned solo 3Lutz into a 3Lutz+3toe. :laugh:

I would hope Stephane would not attempt the 3Axel if he were to return. I hate seeing him struggle on a jump that really in the big scheme of things, he doesn't necessarily need. I want to see him thrilled on the ice, not miserable, and that 3Axel I could see was taking his enjoyment of competing away. He certainly would not be the only man on the ice who omits a problematic jump from his arsenal and still manages to compete well and win medals.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
museksk8r, re the 3A: I think where this is different from other skaters dropping jumps they dislike is that you can't really do a competition without axels. So Johnny can drop the loop and Yannick Ponsero can avoid the flip, but every skater has to do axels, and I can't imagine someone would want to give away points by doing a double in the SP - it cancels out the quad if you're doing that, and while Stephane Lambiel certainly has plenty of other strengths, it strikes me as unwise to give up on it without even trying.

calica

Final Flight
Sincerely I doubt it.
It does less than one week I read a couple of his interviews in which he was denying his return. Since the pains of his leg were chronic and only he could train an hour a day.

rosee

On the Ice
Interesting little article. Thanks for posting, Rosee.

You're welcome :) The article talks about a possible return in March for LA Worlds because he wants to keep 2 spots for his country. It seem unlikely to me to see him returning so soon. But next year? Absolutely!

Eurofan

On the Ice
I particularly liked what Monod had to say about Lambiel as a dancer on the ice. "...better than a real dancer." :agree:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Lambiel is unique, his entire skate brings the spectator in. Plusheko it's just the jumps and if one likes the pauses for applause.
I must be a weird fan then cause those two are my fav skaters ever, i find them both unique and special, and i dont like just jumps or posing (otherwise i would be a big fan of goebel or joubert)
Stephan did a show in Milan in January and skated to a sample of Tribute to Nijinki music and Rota's Romeo and Julliet and he was truly amazing.:clap: