And if Stephane Lambiel came back? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

And if Stephane Lambiel came back?

If it is the Swiss Federation pushing Lambiel to return, I wnder if they are sweetening the pot.

Plushenko has been reported as saying he would come back if a sponsor would come along and pay him for the income he would lose if he returned to training.

Eurofan

On the Ice
If it is the Swiss Federation pushing Lambiel to return, I wnder if they are sweetening the pot.

Plushenko has been reported as saying he would come back if a sponsor would come along and pay him for the income he would lose if he returned to training.

I've read that, too, but as far as I know, he's been saying that since '06 and nobody's stepped up with an offer. Guess I'm not the only one put off by his "I'll compete if you pay me" attitude.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Piseev last days declared that it is not the case and that Plushenko did not ask for money apart from support as a skater.
Plushenko started to have financial support from his federation in the very late years of his success, up until then everything from programs to costumes went from his pocket, he is asking for financial support as for trainers, doctors, choreographers and had demanded the same for the whole national team, athletes in Russia dont have macdonalds sponsors, for him he is asking what is needed to stop doing shows, tv etc from now on , which is his main source of income, if sb knew his financial background apart from arm flailing, he would know he never had "pay me to compete" attitude.
And I hope they help Lambiel also, or he continues to do his shows, what those athletes do after 30-35 for steady income?

Last edited:
I can't believe Piseev would not give Plush the means to skate and get 3 places back for Russia. What is going on with the Russian Fed? and Mischin?

He may be paying alimony to his former wife. No?

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont know personal stuff, but I guess he is paying that also since he is divorced,and i know in Russia it is not a fix amount but 10% of annual income, I know from old interviews his parents dont work, neither his sister who has a child also, and he is the one to support the family, so I hope he is extremely rich by now and saves for future, in any case it is not plush only but in general the skaters in europe dont have large help neither famous sponsors while competing, so after 4-8 years in amateurs I dont blame them for doing shows etc afterwards, for as long as their medals 'sell', plush with his consistency over the years he could be michelle kwan rich with sponsors in another continent, but i know no skater in europe that had much financial help and advertisment.
I know they give houses, cars to the Olympic Champions, but until one becomes that...and I dont blame skaters for asking for money, it is their body and their time and federations should help them since they are youngsters and not after they reach a podium. And because they dont do that, they reach a point where they run to former champions.
Three spots for Russia..:p?Even me that i m his fan I m not that optimistic!

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
I can't believe Piseev would not give Plush the means to skate and get 3 places back for Russia. What is going on with the Russian Fed? and Mischin?

What is the use of the 3 places for Russia, if the rest of the bunch can't keep it anyway? They should earn it themselves if they are really good, but they aren't. Solid top 10 finishes at Worlds not by one but two skaters is needed and they are too inconsistent right now.
There is no real motvation for Plushy, that is the reality. He got an Olympic gold and one silver, he cannot best this. Anything but gold would be a dissapointment and believe me, he knows very well, how much it takes to pull that off, especially in the way how COP is NOW applied (edges, upper body movement, transitions), some of these were not his forte. These would take him lots of work.
I know Russia wants medals, they will have to raise new talents to do that.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
There is no real motvation for Plushy, that is the reality. He got an Olympic gold and one silver, he cannot best this. Anything but gold would be a dissapointment and believe me, he knows very well, how much it takes to pull that off, especially in the way how COP is NOW applied (edges, upper body movement, transitions), some of these were not his forte. These would take him lots of work.
I'm not a fan of Plushenko, and I would rather he stayed retired. However:

1. He wouldn't be the first skater to come back after already having some Olympic hardware. And of course, two golds would be one more than Yagudin got. There's motivation for you :biggrin:.

2. Considering Plushenko's strong jumps, his CoP-friendly spins and step sequences (he definitely got a level 4 at 06 Olys), and above all, his consistency on the big elements - if he could get back to where he was (a big if) he could show up at Vancouver and do nothing but crossovers between elements - and he would still get a huge score.

herios

Medalist
I'm not a fan of Plushenko, and I would rather he stayed retired. However:

1. He wouldn't be the first skater to come back after already having some Olympic hardware. And of course, two golds would be one more than Yagudin got. There's motivation for you :biggrin:.

I don't think he needs that motivation, he surpassed Yagudin already, he got a silver as well, while Alexei didn't. And to be honest, I don't think there are hard feelings among the two of them anymore, the rivalry ended long time ago. It will come down probably to $$$, the push is from the Russian federation, rather than from Evgheni, he is just toying with the idea.

Reading senorita's post, I felt so sad for Plush. He's the breadwinner and his family doesn't seem to want to work.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think he pays alimony (or how it is called) for his baby son...
I ve seen a Nbc profile on Youtube about Plush and they were talking about him collecting garbage bottles in order to have some money to stay alone in St P. and train with mishin when he was 11 cause his parents were poor and worked somewhere 1000 Km away. And some same situation about Yagudin. Any person who has passed all this to this young age and has destroyed his body like Alexei (and i hope not also Plush) can demand any funds and salary /help etc from his federation, and have all the money of the world, after all these years in doing nothing else but training and competing, I was wondering what skaters do after they stop shows etc..They all become trainers?
Last time I saw Plush and Lambiel in a show, they were both great, skating wise they were jumping triples (ok, 2axel but I heard lambiel is doing quad in his new shows) , and they seemed both so happy while skating and had standing ovations. Lambiel had skated his new program for this season that never happened :( .
Maybe they like competing, or I dont know, maybe they stopped both at 23 and they feel they have some more to give, i saw europeans and i was impressed that contesti is 25 and emerged now, there are a lot of late bloomers and i remember some like Van den Perren that they are around for a while now, while plush was my ultra favorite his resume is so big that i wonder why he would bother coming back, about lambiel i wish he could stay longer, i didnt have enough of him.
I really dont care if they win their status back, what bad happened to all the previous champions that came back and started losing to younger skaters?Although I think they could catch up.. Decline is normal in any sport, I would like them both to skate again just for the applause:clap: Maybe Buttle can join!

Last edited:

elanna

Rinkside
I don't think he needs that motivation, he surpassed Yagudin already, he got a silver as well, while Alexei didn't. QUOTE]

You're kidding! Plush lost to Yagudin when he was given that controversial silver medal over Tim Goebel at 2002 Olys:laugh:

And if all three came back, Stephane would win over both of them. I think the judges are looking for more than jumps now, and Stephane has all those jumps and more.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
And if all three came back, Stephane would win over both of them. I think the judges are looking for more than jumps now, and Stephane has all those jumps and more.
Since Yagudin retired, only two skaters have kept Plush off the top of the podium, and Stephane Lambiel was not one of them. Plushenko had level 3/4 spins and footworks in his last year, and was a more consistent jumper than just about anyone, with no problematic jump like Stephane's 3A. If both came back (and Stephane just said he's not) Plushneko would probably win, even though IMO Stephane is more enjoyable to watch.

Since Yagudin retired, only two skaters have kept Plush off the top of the podium, and Stephane Lambiel was not one of them. Plushenko had level 3/4 spins and footworks in his last year, and was a more consistent jumper than just about anyone, with no problematic jump like Stephane's 3A. If both came back (and Stephane just said he's not) Plushneko would probably win, even though IMO Stephane is more enjoyable to watch.
There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with the judges. Alexander Abt deserved to win over Yagudin in that Euros competition. And Lambiel's 3A became troublesome after the surgery.

If all three came back, I would only want to watch Lambiel, and the devil with the levels of the others. Are you convinced that the Tech Panel are absolute masters at judging spins? Isn't it based more on personal taste and fear from their Feds?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
One was Joubert in 2004, Europeans. Who was the second one (by curiosity?)
Sandhu, the only person who ever beat Plushenko under CoP. It was the 2003-4 GPF, Plush made a very costly Zayak mistake.

Joe, I'm not saying Plush is a better skater. I'm saying he's better equipped to get high scores under the current system.

herios

Medalist
I don't think he needs that motivation, he surpassed Yagudin already, he got a silver as well, while Alexei didn't. QUOTE]

You're kidding! Plush lost to Yagudin when he was given that controversial silver medal over Tim Goebel at 2002 Olys:laugh:

You should read my post more carefully, I was referring to their total medal count in the Olympics, Plushenko of course lost to Yagudin in Salt Lake but he got his gold 4 years later inTurin. Is math so difficult ? Plushenko has 2 Olympic medals (one more silver) than Yagudin, that is why I said he surpassed Yagudin.