How Hot Is Junior Worlds - Japan, Czech Rep, Russia | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How Hot Is Junior Worlds - Japan, Czech Rep, Russia

oleada

Record Breaker
Well, V&M, B&A and DomShabs all have a chance to break the "curse" in the coming years ;) :thumbsup:

I didn't get the sour grapes reference either. "Sour grapes" (Aesop) means pretending that you didn't really care about winning after you have lost.

lmarie086

Medalist
Another fun fact is that no team that has won Junior Worlds in dance has won Senior Worlds. Annissina & Averbukh won JW together but won Senior Worlds with different partners. Evgeny Platov, Sergey Ponomarenko, Oksana Grishuk & Roman Kostomarov won JW & SW with different partners. Delobel & Schoenfelder won Worlds, but finished second at JW (to Kostomarov & his partner, actually). Belbin & Agosto and Virtue & Moir have come the closest, winning JW and World silver.

I did not know that, thanks for that! That's actually really interesting.

I think Virtue/Moir will probably be the ones to break this trend. If they don't win in Vancouver (and I'd actually prefer that they don't, so they stick around longer) I really can't see how they would not win Worlds at least once.

What year did DomShabs win? Was it 2003, or was that the year Belbin/Agosto won?

skatingbc

Final Flight
Too bad! The TS for Ice Dance at JW is none other than Shae ZUKOWSKI of Canada.

Knowing Shae personally, I hope that no one accuses him of playing favourites. He's a really nice guy and would never put his countrymen before anyone from any other country.

The only argument for disallowing Juniors who became Seniors the following year is that the Classification of junior means not senior!. JMO.

Therefore it is difficult for me to be happy that all these senior skaters will go back as juniors.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to ISU rules:

Any Singles skater who is 14 by July 1 is eligible to participate in the Grand Prix series.

Any Singles skater who is 15 by July 1 is eligible to compete in Senior ISU Championships (Worlds, 4CC, Euros).

Any Singles skater who is at least 13 but no older than 18 by July 1 is eligible to participate in the JGP and JW.

The only prohibition is that a Singles skater may not participate in both JGP events and GP events in the same season.

herios

Medalist
I think Virtue/Moir will probably be the ones to break this trend. If they don't win in Vancouver (and I'd actually prefer that they don't, so they stick around longer) I really can't see how they would not win Worlds at least once.
Why would you think Virtue and Moir would retire if they were going to win the Olympics??. They will be at 20 / 22 years of age, do you think that is the usual retirement age for ice dancers?
These are exceptional athletes, who blasted through the rankings of the ice dancing and for a good reason. They have a lot more to give to the world of ice dance than a mere 4 years of competitive career. Unless Tessa's health becomes a chronical condition, i am not expecting them to retire any time soon, but to explore new boundaries of this sport.

Trewyn

Medalist
Any Singles skater who is at least 13 but no older than 18 by July 1 is eligible to participate in the JGP and JW.

Wait... How were girls like Gedevanishvili and Robertson able to sneak in then? They're 19??

rosee

On the Ice
Why would you think Virtue and Moir would retire if they were going to win the Olympics??. They will be at 20 / 22 years of age, do you think that is the usual retirement age for ice dancers?
These are exceptional athletes, who blasted through the rankings of the ice dancing and for a good reason. They have a lot more to give to the world of ice dance than a mere 4 years of competitive career. Unless Tessa's health becomes a chronical condition, i am not expecting them to retire any time soon, but to explore new boundaries of this sport.

I think they said in interviews that they don't plan to have a long career.

herios

Medalist
I think they said in interviews that they don't plan to have a long career.

I have not heard them saying that, what I have heard is that they make no plans right now beyond the Olympics, and that is a totally different ball game.

rosee

On the Ice
My bad. You're probably right, I don't follow them close enough.

Anyway, is this the prediction thread?
Because here are mine (theses are Hopes not particulary predictions):

Men:

Florent Amodio
Michael Brezina
Adam Rippon

Ladies:
Elene GEDEVANISHVILI
Ashley WAGNER
Mae Berenice MEITE (I know, not likely)

Pairs:

Lubov Iliushechkina & Nodari Maisuradze
Anastasia Martiusheva & Alexei Rogonov
Ekaterina Sheremetieva & Mikhail Kuznetsov

Dance:
Maddie & Keiffer!!!!!!
Katia & Jonathan
Terra & Ben

I have not heard them saying that, what I have heard is that they make no plans right now beyond the Olympics, and that is a totally different ball game.

Still, it's a lot to ask of young adults to put their lives on hold for another four years so they can stay in the sport through another Olympic cycle.

herios

Medalist
Still, it's a lot to ask of young adults to put their lives on hold for another four years so they can stay in the sport through another Olympic cycle.

Nobody forces any skater to stay active for blocks of 4 years, from one Olympic cycle to another. Look at Dubreuil / Lauzon or Buttle, who retired in 2008. I could go on and on on this subject, but this is a thread dedicated to another subject

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
V/M have been skating together for a very long time. Competitive ice dance takes up almost all their time and they haven't had the opportunity to explore other areas of their lives.

B/A are leaving competitive skating after the Olympics, and they will be relatively young--25 and 28. Like V/M, they have been skating together for a long, long time and everything else has been put on hold.

Injury can sometimes contribute to a decision to wind down a competitive career. Tessa's legs and Ben's chronic back problems may easily factor into that decision.