Hurricane Juan | Golden Skate

Hurricane Juan

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Hurricane Juan is fastly approaching Nova Scotia. Mike and any other Bluenosers out there lurking, fasten down, it sure sounds like its gonna be a big one.

NS often gets the tail end of hurricanes, but its been 40 years since one hit land at full force. Its expected to hit the Halifax area around 10 pm, the same time as high tide.

We are getting ready here in the "Bear" household. Took in the lawn furniture and have a water reserve ready in case of power outages. Luckily we live on a big hill, but our nearby town is prone to flooding.

It shall be interesting to see what the morning brings.

I was amazed when watching the news. The crazy things people do! Some were going sailing. Peggys Cove was bustling and so were restaurants along the Halifax waterfront. Hopefully no one gets hurt.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Keep us updated on what happens. Inquiring minds want to know. Hope it doesn't hit anything too hard.

mari60

On the Ice
I think the storm must have been real bad. I work in NH, but our main office is in Canada. The putas are down. No getting through. Hope all is well. mari

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Glad to hear from you Mike. I figured you had no power.
Joe, I just assumed it was a computer.

mari60

On the Ice
Thanks Granny! Spelling is not my thing! You guys do such a good job, and its always interesting. Glad to hear all is OK in NS. mari

mike79

On the Ice
Hi everyone

The storm was a high end category 1 hurricane that left behind the damage usually seen by a category 2 or 3. Many parts of the city still don't have power, and many areas are devastated, most notably our Public Gardens. An area known as Point Pleasant Park lost 20 000 trees!

It was really strange that it wasn't until around midday on Sunday that people actually seemed to realize how dangerous the storm was going to be. The eye of the storm passed directly over Halifax. My next-door neighbour went outside for a cigarette at 1:00am (the height of the storm) and a huge tree that was in front of my house bent down and just missed him before it snapped back up into place.

I hope the rest of the Nova Scotians here are doing alright. It was pretty rough going for awhile.

Nice to see you too Granny!

Last edited:

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I LOVE ELECTRICITY!!!

Wow, its been awhile since I've been here. Our power went out on Sept. 29 and didn't come back on till Oct. 6. The last week was an experience I will be telling my grandchildren someday.

The huricane itself was awesomely scary...I never want to go through that again. We knew it was going to be windy, but we were no where near as prepared as we should have been. We let our dog outside in her pen!! Poor Rascal. In the middle of it our half our screen door disapppeared and the remainder was slamming into a patio door. Well my dad thought it was going to come through. He had to nail the door shut (Sometimes on winter storms, this door blows open) When he went outside to get the rest of the screen door so it wouldn't do any damage, in comes Rascal. I don't know how she got her pen door open, but boy was I glad to see her!

In the morning we understood just how scared she must have been. Her pen is surrounded by trees and they were all flat on the ground. One landed a metre away from her house. In total we lost about 40 trees, some siding of our house, a fence, and arbour, and of course our screen door.

But the fun had only begun!

A lot of people I spoke with throughout the week, those who live in towns and cities, forgot that when the power is out in the country, there is no water! I have discovered that I can live without power, but living without water is horrible!!!!
We have a wood stove in our garage so cooking was not a huge problem...it just took a looong time. But it was a major chore to have a bath or even flush the toilet! We have had power outages before. A few years ago we had a major ice storm and the power was out for 5 days, but it was on everywhere else so we could go to relatives' homes to wash. But this time it was out everywhere! It was certainly an interesting experience.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Sure glad to hear from you guys. I hope noone was hurt. Must have been pretty scary. I know what it is to be without water.
A year ago my well collapsed (so, I know about no electricity, no water) and I was without any water for 4 1/2 weeks, except could flush. Had to get water & bathe at neighbors, etc. But at least then I had electricity. :\

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Grgranny, thats crazy! I was going a little nutty after a week. Sunday afternnon I walked down to the end of our driveway and poked my head out to see if any power crews were down the road cleaning up the trees that fell on our line. We got in the habit of doing this every few hours...I really wanted to go hug and kiss them when they did come. Well, on this trip there was no one there and I just got so fed up I started screaming my frustations out thinking that no one was around. My mom soon walked around the corner of the house and stood there laughing at me. It turned out that the power crew came in the middle of the night so I didn't even see them.

I picked up a great Hurricane Juan Survivor t-shirt today. The back reads:

The Juan and Only Hurricane Juan Survivor Tips:
Be nice to you neighbor, they may get power first.
If it's yellow let it mellow.
If it's brown flush it down.
Warm drinks, cold food.
Shower with a friend.
Eat, drink, and be HAIRY.
4 way stops are NON-negotiable.
Tim Hortons IS an essential service.
Chose you parking spot carefully.
Being weird is a whole new experience.

I'm not a big fan for tacky shirts, but this was one I had to get!