Stéphane Lambiel: "I’m a little bit crazy" | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Stéphane Lambiel: "I’m a little bit crazy"

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
I think that there is a huge difference in watching programs during or just after a competition and watching them later, after having taken a step back, especially concerning one's own programs.

Anyway, it's lovely to hear from Stéphane and I hope he will continue to skate for many years to come!

I agree :agree:

I think he has more time now to really reflect about everything. When your in the middle of competition, I suppose it's like a whirlwind of events unfolding, training, competitions, more training. But now taking a step back from the outside, the whole picture of competition and the judging system is clearer.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I have no answer to that quiestion, I'm afraid. I was pointing out that most skaters, IMO, tend to criticize the system only when things go wrong, when they are unhappy about their placement. They don't complain when they get gifts. Which makes the entire critique sound ... funny? unproductive? And maybe that's why it's never taken seriously by the powers that be?
The way I see it, we are talking about two different things here. One is whether skaters complain about being undermarked but not about getting generous marks. The other is whether skaters criticize the system, and what the reaction to that is.

The Nathalie Pechalat interview that Ice Network recently posted is a good example of a skater making a point about judging without focusing it just on her own marks. She discusses how many different dance teams have to do very similar lifts because that's the way to get a level 4, at the expense of being able to innovate in this regard (K/N are given as an example of a team affected by this). Brian Joubert has complained about his scores but it's in the broader context of his view that quads are important for skating and undervalued, not an assertion that the judges are undermarking him for whatever reason. As I see it, more skaters should make their opinions known. But for that to happen, they need to be taken seriously - and their input should be considered, with actual changes being implemented if there's merit to the proposed change.

In Reut's interview, Stephane's comments are directed both at the system in general and at his scoring in particular. I don't think he's making any unreasonable points and I find his honesty commendable. I'm not aware of any other skaters, even retired, who came right out and said "I was gifted by the judges".

OT: I think this bit from Nathalie's interview is an excellent point:
Skaters could feel they are encouraged to take as many points as they can by piling up elements. They could feel they do not need to think about the theme they skate to. You can not criticize them, we need to understand it: we are all here to win medals. Yet if you wish to make the audience feel interested, you need to think of emotions. You need to entertain them. Each one of your technical elements should bear a meaning... and give you the maximum number of points at the same time. (emphasis mine)
I feel there aren't a lot of skaters who are able to do both - but Stephane could. Which might be one reason why he's the topic of two very active threads...

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't Stéphane at least watch Daisuke Takahashi's free skate from the stands at Skate Canada, back in 2006? And when the latter bombed it completely, didn't he get excited and rush to dress for the medal ceremony?

I mean, there was a cute video footage of it at the time. So I guess Stéphane was perfectly capable of watching and comparing performances, and was obviously interested in dong so?

Stephane was 7th after the SP at the 2006 Skate Canada and he skated the LP in the penultimate group, so he had every opportunity to watch the final LP group and understandably he did because he figured he had absolutely no shot at a podium spot, having changed into his casual clothes. He watched every man in that final flight of LPs make NUMEROUS mistakes, many more than he made, and understandably, I think, he was surprised and excited to have won an event that seemed so far out of his grasp. He had to run to dress back into his LP costume. I do believe Lambiel when he says that he didn't watch the skating (when he was in the final group of a competition). During such an event, a skater is so focused on what he/she needs to do and he/she needs to maintain concentration. At that particular Skate Canada, his night of skating was done early, and feeling he had no stake at the championship or the medals, he watched the final group.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Thanks for reminding about that Skate Canada footage, BTW.
I believe I haven't thanked you for the interview yet. So, thank you :thumbsup:
Though I have no idea if I have such chance sometime.
There's no unovercomable obstacles for a truly devoted fan.
The Nathalie Pechalat interview that Ice Network recently posted is a good example of a skater making a point about judging without focusing it just on her own marks.
I've seen that link in another thread, yes. P/B is a nice top 10 (?) team. She seems such a sweet girl, too.
feel there aren't a lot of skaters who are able to do both - but Stephane could.
He did? I wouldn't know, I've never been into his skating. I read interviews though.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
P/B is a nice top 10 (?) team. She seems such a sweet girl, too.
More than top 10, I'd say. Though I'm not sure how far they can go so long as they are the second French team. Besides their skating, I'm impressed by some of the costumes she wears - there have been a few that I don't think many other women could've pulled off without looking silly, but on her it works (well, maybe not the cotton ball dress).

I wouldn't know, I've never been into his skating. I read interviews though.
Stephane Lambiel was not my favorite, but I did like his skating and many of his programs, and I found him more enjoyable to watch than many of the current top skaters (I will not name names, though ;)).

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, thank you so much for the interview, reut! How lucky you are to have the opportunity to speak with Stephane and how wonderful you are to share the experience with all of us. :yes::thumbsup::)

Hikaru

Final Flight
It's nice to hear from Stephane, I like his way of skating in general, hoewver I disagree in some things regarding the scoring system. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of it. Mine is that the system is not to blame for the injuries or injustices. Any system, whether is this one or the 6.0, were vurnerable because of the human element. You can cheat on both of them. It's not this system the one causing injuries (there were many skaters with career ending injuries under the 6.0). Skaters were held back with 6.0 as they are with the current system. I don't believe the programmes now are less interesting. I think some coaches aon choreographers have proven that great well-balanced programmes can be created still. I don't understand his remarks about Evan being held back.. but hey, he didn't know about his errors in his own programmes either, so I guess it is a matter of preference for him as well.

Despite my difference of opinions (and sorry if I bored you with them or offended anyone, that was not the intention) I think he was always capable to come with interesting ideas for skating. Too bad we don't have him competing , but maybe with how creative he is he should do choreography for other skaters, it would be very interesting to watch.

Like Sasha, like Michelle, Stephane should be left to make his own decision to return to eligible skating. I think fans of any one of these skaters or all of them just want their return to satisfy themselve without any thought of the skaters desires or needs.

Stephane has two Gold World Championships medals. Does he really need another?

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
About skaters watching their competitors' performances on the backstage monitor, Michelle Kwan once said that she never did, because she didn't want the television cameras to catch her going, "Fall, fall!" :laugh:

you made my day (night) with this!