Daisuke Takahashi to start training again | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi to start training again

Buttercup

Record Breaker
According to the link here on GS, he'll be back to on-ice training next month. I wish him the best of health in his return to skating, but I'm surprised by the timing - less than 4 months after major knee surgery seems very fast. I hope he's just a quick healer :) and not pushing himself to do too much, too fast. His coach does say they'll work gradually to try and avoid any problems.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cool! I was just saying in another thread how I'll be glad to see him back in the swing of things, but I agree with the sentiment that I hope he is careful and not overexerting himself in training to make up for lost time. If Daisuke returns to form, there may not be any stopping the Japanese mens' team of Dai, Nobu, and Taka from dominating the world. They are all so competitive!

herios

Medalist
Cool! I was just saying in another thread how I'll be glad to see him back in the swing of things, but I agree with the sentiment that I hope he is careful and not overexerting himself in training to make up for lost time. If Daisuke returns to form, there may not be any stopping the Japanese mens' team of Dai, Nobu, and Taka from dominating the world. They are all so competitive!

Don't be surprised. The article says "rebuild muscle", which is normal after such a surgery, that means either walking, running, in his case stroking. He could do only stroking for a few weeks, that would not be too early, if the surgery was successful.
As far as Japanese dominance, i totally agree. I had this vision since NHK 2006, where the 3 of them pulled a 1-2-3 (although I didn't think Kozuka will progress that much, so fast).

Well, if he does come back, and I hope so, it will give the Men's Division a needed shot toward great competition.

Healthy? If he had a minuscus removed, it will be quite a while before he gets to jumping again, and the question is will he lose some of the ability? Lambiel was fighting a losing battle with his meniscus.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
That does seem fast. I hope he has a fast recovery. The men this year can't forget about him when making plans for February 2010.

terpskate4ever

Rinkside
He's only going to start basic training in March but nothing serious/intense (like hard jumps I'm assuming) until May (about six months after he has had his surgery). He's also working intensively in rehab from 9 AM-6 PM every weekday and as Coach Nagamitsu said, he is working on building his strength in order to prevent future injuries.

Please see his fan forum for more details about this:

http://daisuke-takahashi.megabb.com...aisuke-f2/daisuke-s-latest-news-t578.htm#5229

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
all the best to him and praying he makes a recovery... whether that means he makes it to 2010 or not... just so long as his body recovers!

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Sometimes I wonder: what about a whole asian olympic podium for the Ladies and the Men? :biggrin: I really didn't expect that in a few years Japan tried to conquer even the Men field. Do I have expect new outstanding Pairs and Dance Japanese teams, now?

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
^^ There doesn't seem, to be any outstanding Japanese pair or dance team coming up. Kawaguchi and the Shibutanis are unfortunately for the Japanese Skating Federation are representing other countries. Dominance in ladies and men is really quite possible. There might be a Japanese sweep of the singles very soon.

Back to the topic. I am so glad to hear Daisuke's recovering. Hopefully he'll be back in great shape soon. The Men's division has been really lacklustre without him!

herios

Medalist
Sometimes I wonder: what about a whole asian olympic podium for the Ladies and the Men? :biggrin: I really didn't expect that in a few years Japan tried to conquer even the Men field. Do I have expect new outstanding Pairs and Dance Japanese teams, now?

In order to build a tradition in pairs or dance it would take not just years, but decades and there is nothing on the horizon there in these events. (Bin Yao worked towards the chinese pairs program more than 10 years before you could see Shen and Zhao surfacing).

In singles, a totally different story. Asian sweep in ladies already has happened in 2007 at Worlds and in men they are making progress towards it, with these 3 exceptional skaters, but Oda's absence and Takahashi's injury put a damper on it for the time being. I would rather see them getting dominant post vancouver, because all three are young and men usually mature around 23-25 years of age in skating.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If I were head of the Japanese federation, here's what I think I would try:

It would not be impossible for the Shibutanis to skate for Japan and start a Japanese dance tradition. Because Japan is so strong in both men and ladies, there are plenty of great skaters that could take up dance-what's missing is the infrastructure of great dance coaching for intermediate & senior levels in Japan. And all that takes is for one or two great coaches from somewhere else to immigrate to Japan. The Japanese federation is reported to be doing well. They could actually pay to set up dance coach/coaches in Japan.

Look at the US, and look at how Shpilband & Zoueva (AFAIK, without any US Federation help) have built a world class dance program in a country that was mired in the 7th to 10th place at Worlds at best. Yes, it can take a decade (if they make an effort, it should take no more than that). But if the Japanese recruited the Shibutanis (even if they wait until after the Shibutanis become senior-eligible), they'd have another leg up.

In pairs, the Japanese junior pair did make the JGPF this year. Given that 5 of the 8 teams were from Russia (and therefore only 3 of them can make it to Jr Worlds), the Japanese could place in the top 6 to 10 at Jr Worlds, so Japan already has the beginning of a pairs program.

Again, they need a top pairs coach.

viv

On the Ice
... in men they are making progress towards it, with these 3 exceptional skaters, but Oda's absence and Takahashi's injury put a damper on it for the time being. .

"Oda's absence..." Did I miss something? Is he injured?

It would not be impossible for the Shibutanis to skate for Japan...
Have they ever been to Japan? Are their parents Japanese citizens?

I see by their biographies that Alex and Mai were born in Boston and New York, live in Greenwich Connecticut, and go to school in Ann Arbor.

I see by their biographies that Alex and Mai were born in Boston and New York, live in Greenwich Connecticut, and go to school in Ann Arbor.
If nothing else, they are priviledged. Greenwich is a top dollar town and some 'old money' is still there.

Buttercup

Record Breaker

I know Chris and Cathy Reed, who do represent Japan in ice dance, were born and raised in the US. But in their case I think their mother is a Japanese citizen. According to Wikpedia they have dual citizenship; that can't be right, can it? I thought Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. On the other hand, I can't imagine an American skater being willing to give up their US citizenship in order to skate for japan.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I know Chris and Cathy Reed, who do represent Japan in ice dance, were born and raised in the US. But in their case I think their mother is a Japanese citizen. According to Wikpedia they have dual citizenship; that can't be right, can it? I thought Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. On the other hand, I can't imagine an American skater being willing to give up their US citizenship in order to skate for japan.

Japanese citizens can have dual citizenship up to a certain age 19? 21? but then they have to choose.

And why wouldn't someone choose Japan, it's not exactly like Japan is this horrible place to live. There are lot of good qualities about Japan vs. let's say the United States. Perhaps let's say someone feels more attached to their Japanese heritage and ancestory then they do to the US. Plenty of US citizens make decisions not to live in the USA.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
And why wouldn't someone choose Japan, it's not exactly like Japan is this horrible place to live. There are lot of good qualities about Japan vs. let's say the United States. Perhaps let's say someone feels more attached to their Japanese heritage and ancestory then they do to the US. Plenty of US citizens make decisions not to live in the USA.
Oh, of course there's nothing wrong with having Japanese citizenship! I'm sorry if that's how my point came across. I just find it hard to imagine someone who was born and raised in the US wanting to give up his or her citizenship, no matter what country it was being doen for. Since AFAIK, most countries do allow dual citizenship (I have dual citizenship - neither American nor Japanese, though) the situation probably wouldn't arise for skaters except in the case of Japan.

Last edited: