Daisuke Takahashi to start training again | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi to start training again

I know Chris and Cathy Reed, who do represent Japan in ice dance, were born and raised in the US. But in their case I think their mother is a Japanese citizen. According to Wikpedia they have dual citizenship; that can't be right, can it? I thought Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. On the other hand, I can't imagine an American skater being willing to give up their US citizenship in order to skate for japan.
Unless the laws have changed, I believe the USA does not recognize dual citizenships, however those who do have dual citizenship, are free to travel on either passport as long as they are valid.

If there was a DRAFT, and the young man chose the nationality of the other country he had, he would lose the US citizenship. Of course, none of this applies to the Reeds

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Oh, of course there's nothing wrong with having Japanese citizenship! I'm sorry if that's how my point came across. I just find it hard to imagine someone who was born and raised in the US wanting to give up his or her citizenship, no matter what country it was being doen for. Since AFAIK, most countries do allow dual citizenship (I have dual citizenship - neither American nor Japanese, though) the situation probably wouldn't arise for skaters except in the case of Japan.

I find it very easy to imagine. Japan is where the enthusiastic fans, the shows and hence the money, are these days. Not the US. If you had a Japanese heritage, I'd think it would be very appealing, particularly in pairs or dance. I've heard that even Kristi Yamaguchi made some efforts to investigate skating for Japan before she skated internationally for the US. However, the Japanese federation was not about to turn themselves upside down to accommodate her, however, and she continued competing for the US.

And skating for a country is not the same as living there.

Consider the cases of Kristin Fraser (of Fraser & Lukanin of AZE) and Katherine Copely (of Copely and Stagniunas)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I find it very easy to imagine. Japan is where the enthusiastic fans, the shows and hence the money, are these days. Not the US. If you had a Japanese heritage, I'd think it would be very appealing, particularly in pairs or dance. I've heard that even Kristi Yamaguchi made some efforts to investigate skating for Japan before she skated internationally for the US. However, the Japanese federation was not about to turn themselves upside down to accommodate her, however, and she continued competing for the US.

And skating for a country is not the same as living there.

Consider the cases of Kristin Fraser (of Fraser & Lukanin of AZE) and Katherine Copely (of Copely and Stagniunas)
I'm not talking about anyone having trouble skating for another country - lots of people do that, and Japan has great opportunities for skaters. But skating is not a person's entire life, and I do find it difficult to believe people would be willing to give up their citizenship, which would make it very difficult in their lives in the US. It's essentially severing your link with your own country.

Did Kristin Fraser and Katherine Copely have to give up their US citizenship? I'm pretty sure they did not. I would imagine Galit Chait, who skated for Israel and still coaches some Israeli skaters, also has dual citizenship - but again, that's not the same as having to pick one.

On the flip side of this, I know Yuko Kawaguchi is supposed to give up her Japanese citizenship to skate for Russia, because she can't have both, and that this is not an easy thing to do. As I understand it, she would have to apply for a visa just to visit her family and things like that.

SusieH

On the Ice
a japanese news clip with english subtitles

Saw the link from fsu. Think some of you might be interested :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OyAkAWwjS8

I like his new mindset. Good luck to him! :clap:

P.S. I remember in a recent Lambiel-related thread people were talking about if a skater watches her/his competitors' performances. In this interview Takahashi also said he never watched others' performances before (see around 6:00)----that is, not until GPF this year when he was forced to take a break from skating, an event which he found very motivating BTW.

lmarie086

Medalist
Saw the link from fsu. Think some of you might be interested :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OyAkAWwjS8

Thank you for the link! I like his mindset as well. I really respect that he decided to sit the whole season out to make sure his knee could recover fully rather than competing and having to worry about it, I think he'll be all the better for it in the long run.

Hope the recovery continues to go well and I can't wait to see him in competition again!

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
"This injury can be a chance". That's how smart people react. We have much to learn from Daisuke-san.

herios

Medalist
Thanks for the link!

I am pleased to see he does exactly what he was supposed to do, a general rehab and reconditioning for his leg. Some here posted he's coming back to soon, not for this type of training. Off ice training is a must even if he is not going to put on the skates for a few months from now.

I wish him the best of luck and hopefully he will be a contender next year for a medal in Vancouver. he got my vote for sure!

quikrush

Rinkside
Wow thanks for the news & link.
I miss Takahashi desperately, all his fantastic footwork and sky-high jumps and that sense of earnestness that fairly radiates from him....
Wish him a fast recovery and a smashing comeback next season!!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks for posting the video. He has such a great attitude. I liked his skating before, but now he will be a sentimental favorite. I really hope he comes back strong next season! :love: