Which Great Gig do you prefer?

• Delobel / Schoenfelder's version

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Virtue / Moir's version

Votes: 29 44.6%

• Total voters

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I was surprised and impressed by this pinkfloydian "rivalry" between the reigning gold and silver World medalists. And I'm really curious to know what do you think about it. Whose coreography and interpretation do you like best? Which suites better this sublime musical creation? And, if you want, please explain why.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
D&S. I don't think it works well for V&M at all. I was quite unimpressed by their performance of it at 4CC. I know she's been injured and all, and I took that into account, but I just don't care for it as a whole.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
D/S. The way they interpret it is superior IMO, and it works better as a single piece of music rather than switching in the middle. I also like the costumes better - very classy.

I'm happy that V/M are trying something new, but I wish they'd have gone with different music. When I saw it they looked like they were overthinking it instead of feeling the music, which is something I'm not used to seeing from those two.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't really "get" Delobel and Shonfelder's interpretation. I think that Virtue and Moir really bring dancing back to ice dance with thier freedance.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I think this should be a double poll. The second question should be: "Are you from Europe?" I am not assuming anything here, but it would be interesting to see if there is any correlation...

(I don't know anything about ice-dance, I only know what I enjoy and what I don't and it doesn't have much to do with the skills of the couples). I chose D/S because I don't think we have seen the real FD of V/M yet. She looks awfully concentrated, there is no real connection between their elements yet - not to mention the stumbles at Canadian Nationals and 4CC. If I have another opinion after Worlds, I'll come back here.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I think this should be a double poll. The second question should be: "Are you from Europe?" I am not assuming anything here, but it would be interesting to see if there is any correlation...

I don't know what you're implying, but I am from the US and I FAR prefer D&S's version to that of V&M.

Final Flight
wow a tie.

i voted D/S: refined, clean, real, emotive....it just works. people need to get out of the "story" mode..."omg is the girl in love and the guy doesnt?" it's ice dance not a operatic ballet. i believe as said in an interview, they told us that the music is something personal - representative of their perseverance. "im not afraid of dying. anytime will do"

i can see why people are "bleh" on this cause I EVEN think its.......so BARE...empty....simple. that intense softness. but that's the beauty. ice dance isnt...or it shouldnt be ALL pizzazz, sequins, and extreme circus acrobats.

some might say that the music gets redundant within the FD....im sorry - music tends to repeat the chorus....

as for V/M: i can tell they are trying too hard, in two ways: 1) pushing the difficulty making absurd lift positions look more awkward (aka 2nd half of 1st lift), mistakes like the combo spin in 4CC, grossly wobbly lifts (please dont stress "international debut") 2) pushing tessa's health- 4CC is a nice trial into international scene - but to risk worlds....and pull another maxim? THINK.

its the "difficulty" thats making them perform less. they are great performers...i guess they are striving for their best and pushing the envelope but...yeah we'll see

plus the transition in to money - where they awkwardly have that weird choreo...not the good kind of contrast.

aren't they the least bit conscious about that "similar" opening?

all that

Final Flight
:laugh: 1795 -- your totally predictable hate of V/M always cracks me up. I especially enjoy your grossly biased "analyses." I know if I'm having a bad day, I can just come to goldenskate, open a thread about V/M, and look for your post to make me laugh. Thanks! :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Having only seen Virtue and Moirs program it's a "no brainer" for me. Of course, Virtue and Moir are using original Pink Floyd music which includes the great tract - Money. I think it's great. Love it. What about the other couple? Is it pure Pink Floyd or are they using some Euro elavator music rip off copy?

Kurt Browning thought Virtue and Moir's program was "cool." Hey, he should know. I am with Kurt!

Final Flight
:laugh: 1795 -- your totally predictable hate of V/M always cracks me up. I especially enjoy your grossly biased "analyses." I know if I'm having a bad day, I can just come to goldenskate, open a thread about V/M, and look for your post to make me laugh. Thanks! :)

should i be offended? it all depends: laugh to mock and scoff or laugh to slightly agree to my absurd sarcasm and hyperboles?

at least im not hypocritical. i firmly stand for what i believe in :cool:

What about the other couple? Is it pure Pink Floyd or are they using some Euro elavator music rip off copy?

V/M blemished pink floyd with a grotesque transition. "the europeans" used, literally, pure pink floyd. please.

lcd

Match Penalty
Had wanted to say I will reserve judgement until Worlds given how V&M have not yet been able to peak. Will be disappointing if D&S don't compete because of her injury. Here's to hoping both teams are there for a real "throw down"!!

lisou

On the Ice
I am from France and I prefer V/M. I don't like the D/S version, I don't get any kind of feeling from it.

rosee

On the Ice
in a positive or in a negative way?

In no particular way...Tinymavy15 said that this FD was bringing dancing back to ice dance. I think that overall V&M have a very "dancing" style, but this FD is the exception.

lcd

Match Penalty
Prefer V/M. Disappointing now we won't see a "face off" with D/S withdrawing. Not that it's a "good thing" when 2 leading skaters/teams choose the same music, it does provide the media with something to run with - recall "Battle of the Carmens" Will be interesting to see what the Olympic year choices are. I fear less willingness to go with innovative, and more the usual spate of Toscas, Carmens, ...zzzzzz

skatingbc

Final Flight
Prefer V/M. Disappointing now we won't see a "face off" with D/S withdrawing. Not that it's a "good thing" when 2 leading skaters/teams choose the same music, it does provide the media with something to run with - recall "Battle of the Carmens" Will be interesting to see what the Olympic year choices are. I fear less willingness to go with innovative, and more the usual spate of Toscas, Carmens, ...zzzzzz

Who knows if either team will switch music though? V/M will have only done 4CC and Worlds with it and D/S have commented on how much the music means to them. I wouldn't be surprised at all if both teams kept it for the Olympic season. I think the face-off then would be more interesting because hopefully both teams would be healthy and they would definitely have had more time to fiddle around and make appropriate adjustments.

Edit: I have now read that D/S will not be keeping their free dance. So no face off. :disagree:

Last edited: