Chimp killed after attacking person | Golden Skate

Chimp killed after attacking person

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I always find these tales of animals, behaving like animals, getting shot because people were treating them as if they were not animals................sad for both the chimp and the poor lady who was badly hurt.

Johar

Medalist
He ripped her face off. A few years ago during another chimp attack, a man had his face and genitals ripped off. He had undergone many surgeries to make his face look normal, with many more surgeries ahead. I saw him interviewed on the news and he looks terrible.

Johar

Medalist
A post from another board (with permission) about chimps:

The animal shelter I worked for has about: 400 dogs, 800 cats, various critters, an alligator, a tiger, a leopard and two chimps. (The alligator and the leopard were kept as pets, the tiger came from a circus and the chimps were rescued from a labor over 20 years ago)

Most dangerous animal of all these: the male chimp. He's behind panzer glass and all that. One day he got lose... he tossed an adult German Shepherd 4 meters over the fence and breaking it's neck (thank god that was the only victim). Chimps are incredibly strong and once they hit adulthood they become very dangerous and unpredictable.

That ape gives me the chills. I had no problem with petting the leopard (he actually purrs!) but I would never ever touch that imp, not even with a 10 ft pole. How people would want to live with an animal like that in a home is beyond me.

ks777

Record Breaker
I read in the paper that the owner was taking a bath together with the chimp and sleeping together... were they having sex?

I have seen many times on tv where male chimps being very violent and killing other chimps and ripping their heads off. They are very strong and dangerous.

There was a chimp on a Japanese tv show(my favorite japanese show) but he was getting older so he no longer do any tv shows.. they relocated him to a animal sancutuary. I miss seeing him on tv though..
here is a video clip of him.. His name is Pankun..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zbi9NgWUyQ&feature=related

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I heard that the owner gave the chimp an anti-anxiety drug. Human drugs don't work with animal bio chemistry, as far as I know.

Johar

Medalist
The victim is being considered a candidtae for a face transplant because her injuries are too severe.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I heard about this the other night on the radio...just to bizarre for words.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
This is a weird but normal thing for chimps to do in advanced age. Something goes haywire in their brain and they just attack everything. Not sure if it's true for monkeys too, someone told me it was but they may have just been confusing monkeys and chimps...

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I'm sure they aren't. But there's always enough people dumb enough to try, that one will get overlooked by the authorities until it's too late.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Something I didn't realize until recent years when I did some reading on the subject was just HOW difficult it is to have any monkey/ape as a pet. Even a capuchin can be very dangerous. And even if raised "right" insofar as it is possible to try to make it a pet. Pet monkeys have to be raised much like human children, in the presence of a caretaker to socialize and watch over it 24/7. But even monkeys raised from infancy with experienced caregivers meeting their huge emotional needs and socializing them to humans and the domestic environment can go haywire once they reach sexual maturity, or, as has been noted here, later in adult life. They can become violently aggressive, causing injury, and other favorite things like deliberate and aimed feces throwing.

The sleeping with and bath-taking in this instance might certainly might have had a bestiality component to it (really creepy and ugh), or it might have been part of trying to keep the chimp's insatiable socialization needs met. Apparently monkeys and apes have to be in a social group pretty much 24/7 or they act out -- really, really act out.

Somewhat similar are parrots (though nowhere near as extreme), and here I do have direct experience, as a bird owner. A lot of people think a pet bird can be happy in a cage all day. Not so. Some can't even tolerate very well being alone while their owners are at work. Generally speaking, parrots should get as much attention and interaction and out of cage time as a dog or cat would, otherwise they aren't very tame and are prone to developing behavior problems like excessive screaming, feather picking, etc. Not that they are anywhere near as bad as monkeys! But still that's something not everyone realizes. Birds are not like fish or other caged pets such as hamsters or mice that can be content with only occasional interaction with their owners.

Back to chimps, my eyes were opened to their violence by the book Brazzaville Beach, a novel but with realistic depictions of chimp aggression in the wild. One group systematically and brutally attacks another group simply because the second group wanted to separate from the first group. The second group wasn't trying to invade the first's territory or anything like that, and they tried very hard to avoid the first group and move away from them, but the first stalked them constantly and picked them off by isolating one or a few members at a time and brutally and horrifically killing them in painful, agonizing ways (ripping limbs, things like that).

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rallycairn, thanks for all the info. I did feel sorry for the chimp in the sense it was killed because of the owner lack of intelligence.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
The victim is being considered a candidtae for a face transplant because her injuries are too severe.

how awful.................I hope it did not affect her eyesight, hearing, smell. What a truly horrific injury, poor woman, I really feel sorry for her. I recall a transplant was done successfully to a woman in France who had an injury from a dog who ripped her face off. I heard it was successful.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Rallycairn - interesting post - thanks. I did not know that about parrots and your example about the chimps going after group two........interesting observation. Sorta like gangs (humans)

I wonder how chimps compare to gorillas? Jane Goodall lived with Gorillas and they seemed to accept her but was that an anomaly or just a different primate?

Johar

Medalist
The gorillas stayed in the wild when Jane Goodall was studying them. They weren't dressed like little furry children and washed in tubs.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Winnipeg- The woman is a candidate for a face transplant, but she did lose her eyes.

Trained chimps seem more wild, compared to a trained Gorilla, from what I've seen.