Kwan to be on NBC's World Championship Broadcast Team | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kwan to be on NBC's World Championship Broadcast Team

i love to skate

Medalist
One big advantage Michelle will have in the booth is that she has competed at Worlds within the last five years and competed under COP - I think it was only a few times but that does give her some experience. She will have to brush up on the rules however since so much has changed.

Many commentators who were former skaters have not competed on the world stage for many decades - when did Dick Button compete, the 1950s? I think Michelle will bring a refreshing look to the event and skaters as she can still very much relate to them!

R.D.

Record Breaker
One big advantage Michelle will have in the booth is that she has competed at Worlds within the last five years and competed under COP - I think it was only a few times but that does give her some experience. She will have to brush up on the rules however since so much has changed.

ITA with this. A fresh perspective would be nice, if she's willing to offer one.

Many commentators who were former skaters have not competed on the world stage for many decades - when did Dick Button compete, the 1950s? I think Michelle will bring a refreshing look to the event and skaters as she can still very much relate to them!

Let's hope so!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Uncle Dick doesn't seem to respect anyone's opinions (his own excepted, of course) in the booth.

true enough but others either ignored him (Paul Wylie), stood their ground and stuck by their opinion (Kurt Browning), or let him have his way but still had their say (Peter Carruthers, Brian Boitano)... Peggy always seemed to cower under his berating of her 'stupidity'... he's just a big bully.

Eurofan

On the Ice
true enough but others either ignored him (Paul Wylie), stood their ground and stuck by their opinion (Kurt Browning), or let him have his way but still had their say (Peter Carruthers, Brian Boitano)... Peggy always seemed to cower under his berating of her 'stupidity'... he's just a big bully.

Well, the "big bully" is about 80 years old now, so we probably don't have to go through too many more seasons listening to him crab about Tammy Twizzle's unacceptable free-leg position in her layback spin, or Steven Salchow's failure to put "the jump in that jump."

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, the "big bully" is about 80 years old now, so we probably don't have to go through too many more seasons listening to him crab about Tammy Twizzle's unacceptable free-leg position in her layback spin, or Steven Salchow's failure to put "the jump in that jump."

Dick Button fans, like myself, live for those kinds of comments. And for comments like, "it doesn't make a rusty hoot."

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I happen to agree. I enjoy his comments, and Im usually venting about Tammy Twizzle's unacceptable free-leg position in her layback spin and her miserable extension in her spiral as well. Stuff like that bugs me and it always made my boyfriend laugh cause it was usually coming out of my mouth right before it escaped uncle Dick's. Maybe thats why I enjoy Simon Cowell(American Idol) as well. He says what Im thinking...or saying:laugh:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
The problem is that anyone who has competed under CoP is "too new" and anyone who hasn't "isn't with it." So they will have a hard time finding seasoned commentators who support CoP. Maybe Michelle would be a good compromise between age/youth/6.0/CoP, or maybe she won't work out. I don't think we can really judge anyone before they try. She does have a pleasant voice though.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
What about Katherine Hepburn? (=Nancy Kerrigan) She's a former champion too and has a very pleasant voice. Wouldn't you like to have her as one of the World's commentators?

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
What about Katherine Hepburn? (=Nancy Kerrigan) She's a former champion too and has a very pleasant voice. Wouldn't you like to have her as one of the World's commentators?

I think Nancy kerrigan has her own tv network. o.o. it was like nancy kerrigan tv and she was commenting. it was in Japanese nationals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's not her own network. she's commentating for the USFSA's online broadcasts (Ice Network)...

I don't understand why tv networks won't hire her. her name is probably just as recognizable as Michelle Kwans with the average joe viewer. She's the chick that got whacked!

I have no problem with a commentator tearing apart a skater's poor positions or whatever. More power to him. It's when he bullys his other commentators that I have a problem with it. Or compares every skater to his favorite. We get it - no one is as good as _______ ... nevermind ______ didn't have the best positions. (Case in point, Michelle Kwan - I can't remember her doing a classic layback position, but Dick was fine with that... but any other skater was being lazy or it was said that it was an ugly position... um... what'd she do different? other than be the kween who can do no wrong?...)

antmanb

Record Breaker
(Case in point, Michelle Kwan - I can't remember her doing a classic layback position, but Dick was fine with that... but any other skater was being lazy or it was said that it was an ugly position... um... what'd she do different? other than be the kween who can do no wrong?...)

She did the classic layback position for the first few years of her senior career - it was a pretty good position but was criticised for being too slow along with her other spins. When she worked on speeding up her spins the layback didn't really get faster so she switched to the dropped leg variation where she spun more quickly.

As some of our commentators have said - it's a layback spin, so the bend in the back is the most important element and she did lay back pretty far. AFAIK it's only Dick Button who rants about high turned out free legs in the layback spin. Evidence is not many (if any at all) European ladies have his desired free leg position when they do a layback.

Ant

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Nancy Kerrigan got mixed reviews from IceNetwork viewers. I personally have mixed feelings about her as a commentator. She might improve with her commentating, but she lacks personality and her voice is a little bit annoying (not highly annoying, but not great.)

I still have to get how's the classic layback position :eek:hwell:

Classic layback position "in attitude."

http://wkp.fresheye.com/ja/shared/thumb/c/c4/Angela_Nikodinov_2.jpg/180px-Angela_Nikodinov_2.jpg

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Images/Graphics/Feature/022305fleming.jpg

Michelle Kwan (note the unpointed toe).

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030328/s4.jpg

Lowered leg position.

http://www.tribolum.com/images/posts/michelle_kwan.jpg

Edited to add: Peggy Fleming! :love: :love: :love:

PS: Here's Sasha (OK, not a layback, but still...)

http://z.hubpages.com/u/311797_f520.jpg

Last edited:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I will pass on Nancy Kerrigan:p She usually drones on sounding either like she is put out or bored out of her mind. She does perk up though when she relates anything to herself. Although she has gotten better from when she 1st started commentating. But if its a choice between her or schreechy Scott...give me the schreech anyday:yes:

Wrlmy

Medalist
I will pass on Nancy Kerrigan:p She usually drones on sounding either like she is put out or bored out of her mind. She does perk up though when she relates anything to herself. Although she has gotten better from when she 1st started commentating. But if its a choice between her or schreechy Scott...give me the schreech anyday:yes:

Like when she said she's landed a quad?:p