Kwan to be on NBC's World Championship Broadcast Team | Golden Skate

Kwan to be on NBC's World Championship Broadcast Team

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm sure the MK fans will be happy.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2009/02/kwan-on-nbc-team-at-worlds.html

Michelle Kwan will be part of NBC's broadcast team for the upcoming World Figure Skating Championships in Los Angeles, according to Tribune sources.

The five-time world champion will be joining Bob Costas and Dick Button in giving overviews and reflections during the live telecast of the women's free skate final March 28. This will be Kwan's debut as a TV commentator.

I'm sure this is a part of maybe "prepping" her to join NBC's Olympic broadcast team next year.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the link. I am sure she will do a fabulous job . Now if she would
skate in a special exhibition number that would be like like a cherry on top for this Kwan fan.. :bow:

Andalusia

Final Flight
Oooh, I'm loving it! :rock: Thanks for the link.

I guess this drives a nail into the coffin of MK's competitive future. I completely agree that her commentating for this Worlds might be to serve as a 'testing ground' for a stint on the 2010 Olympics.

Someone on FSU mentioned how a combo of Sasha, Michelle and Uncle Dick would be a hoot. ITA. Whenever one of the ladies does a spiral, Uncle Dickie would be so tempted to babble on about how perfect Sasha's was, but of course having Michelle there might put a cork on that, lol. :laugh:

And as a Caroline fan, I'm even more disappointed now that Caroline won't be at Worlds. I'd really like to know what Michelle would dish on someone she works fairly closely with.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Now if she would
skate in a special exhibition number that would be like like a cherry on top for this Kwan fan..

Wouldn't rule it out. She seems to be doing a lot of local promotional work for this event. Plus, NBC is only showing 2 hours of coverage (and thus would only require her for a short time) so skating later wouldn't be a burden or anything for her.

I'd really like to know what Michelle would dish on someone she works fairly closely with.

Well, I suppose that might be slightly uncomfortable for her, given how PC she is. I dunno, I just hope she's not like Bela Karoli (sp?) was during NBC's gymnastics coverage, bring nothing to the coverage but "THEY ARE ALL VERY very talented [skaters]."

Last edited:

Andalusia

Final Flight
Wouldn't rule it out. She seems to be doing a lot of local promotional work for this event. Plus, NBC is only showing 2 hours of coverage (and thus would only require her for a short time) so skating later wouldn't be a burden or anything for her.

Well, I suppose that might be slightly uncomfortable for her. I dunno, I just hope she's not like Bela Karoli (sp?) was during NBC's gymnastics coverage, bring nothing to the coverage but "THEY ARE ALL VERY very talented [skaters]."

I found out that Staples Center is owned by that Anschutz guy whose son Michelle was dating. I wonder if that might have something to do with why MK's been so active in promoting this Worlds. She's normally quite reticent about such things. Of course, the biggest skating event outside of the Olympics coming to her hometown probably has a lot to do with it, too. Or maybe it's just a gentle hint that, yes, her competitive FS career is done and this is how she'll continue to be active in the skating world.

And in regards to Caroline, I'd actually hope that Michelle might shed some light on her technical deficiencies, rather than on anything else.

And as for Bela Karolyi - yuck.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually, given the broadcast times I don't think there's THAT much time to be yapping, if it is indeed a live broadcast, and they plan to show the top 12 skaters. During the Nationals primetime telecast they pretty much showed straight skating with minimal talk. The only time might be during the warmups, and at the end, maybe a brief moment after the interview. This was in contrast to 2008 where they had Costas, Button, Sale and Pellitier (sp?) in the hosting booth while Hamilton/Bezic/Hammond worked the commentating booth. But there were only 10 skaters in the final group, it was a 3-hour broadcast, and there was plenty of time to yap away.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
wow it's a great news. It will be very fascinating to hear Michelle's soft voice while some of my idols are skating. I don't like Button very much though, and I hope he will not flatter her excessively doing annoying comparisons between past and present. And usually American commentators speak too much so you can't almost hear the music. Anyway the Italian are definitely the gold medalists as World's worst commentators, just a nightmare.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
wow it's a great news. It will be very fascinating to hear Michelle's soft voice while some of my idols are skating. I don't like Button very much though, and I hope he will not flatter her excessively doing annoying comparisons between past and present. And usually American commentators speak too much so you can't almost hear the music. Anyway the Italian are definitely the gold medalists as World's worst commentators, just a nightmare.

Michelle's soft voice will not be heard during the actual skating... gag me with a spoon Bezic and screecher Scott Hamilton will be doing that along with Tom Hammond. Sorry to disappoint you!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow! this is very big and surprising news. I look foward to her perspective on the new faces and the system, but I expect her to be very soft-spoken and PC.

amateur

Final Flight
And usually American commentators speak too much so you can't almost hear the music. Anyway the Italian are definitely the gold medalists as World's worst commentators, just a nightmare.

I've never heard an Italian sportscast... but from what I know of Italians & their culture, I can just imagine! :laugh:

Eurofan

On the Ice
Anyway the Italian are definitely the gold medalists as World's worst commentators, just a nightmare.

Are the skating commentators like Paola Ferrari? I used to hate watching her on 90o Minuto - it seemed like she was always trying to say as much as possible as fast as possible.

Wrlmy

Medalist
YAY! You can watch Ice Princess to get an idea of how Michelle commentates, and I like it:biggrin:
I want to see her shush Dick whenever he says ugly leg position.

i love to skate

Medalist
I'm thrilled!! :)I think she will be a great addition. I can't believe Dick Button is still commentating! He rambles on and on and rarely makes sense...he drives me nuts.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I've never heard an Italian sportscast... but from what I know of Italians & their culture, I can just imagine! :laugh:
you know, we are not a civilized country.

Are the skating commentators like Paola Ferrari? I used to hate watching her on 90o Minuto - it seemed like she was always trying to say as much as possible as fast as possible.
:laugh: you wish! There's actually a guy who tries to say as many stupid things as possible as irritatingly as possible.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Yay!!!:clap: I am so thrilled because

1: I get to hear Michelle commentate! I think the only time she ever commentated was on the movie 'Ice Princess' with Boitano. I thought they made a good team. Dick Button and Michelle will make a really interesting team I'm sure.

2. NBC can ditch the terrible commentators that they usually use. Who are they anyway?