Kwan to be on NBC's World Championship Broadcast Team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kwan to be on NBC's World Championship Broadcast Team

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Yay!!!:clap: I am so thrilled because

1: I get to hear Michelle commentate! I think the only time she ever commentated was on the movie 'Ice Princess' with Boitano. I thought they made a good team. Dick Button and Michelle will make a really interesting team I'm sure.

2. NBC can ditch the terrible commentators that they usually use. Who are they anyway?

Sandra Bezic, Scott Hamilton and Tom Hammond :biggrin:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I am thrilled with Michelle commentating:love: Michelle in the booth with Uncle Dick :rock:

now if only we could get Terry Gannon as well ;) Id gladly have those 3 replace Scott, Sandra Bezic & Tom Hammond & Peter Carruthers anyday:yes:

maybe this will spark Michelle's desire to compete again:bow: hey one can dream right? Im still holding out for Michelle & Sasha's return to the ice before the Olympics:clap::love:

I think this will be good for Michelle(getting her name out there) and for NBC(possibly advertising that Michelle is commentating, getting better ratings) anything that helps get skating more ratings and more into the spotlight, works for me:yes::agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I may have mentioned this before (particularly on FSU) but the only good I see her doing is promotion. Put her in the TV ads, etc. But what you DON'T want is to have people thinking she will actually compete there.

^ I think what Michelle will bring to the Worlds broadcast team is what has been missing from figure skating these three years -- a certain requisite measure of Kwanliness. :rofl:

R.D.

Record Breaker
BTW, I was flipping through the channels and some gymnastics was on this afternoon. During a commercial break, there was an ad for Worlds featuring Alyssa, Rachel and Kim Yu Na, saying "national champion Alyssa Czisny leads the US in taking on the world's best" and the world championships is "coming to NBC March 28th". No mention of MK or any of the other hosts.

Just a heads-up if nothing else.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they probably haven't shot the promo spot for MK joining the team yet...

I really hate that NBC thinks they need five million voices commentating... it's stupid.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Having her there is good for the sport. I hope she does a good job. Also glad that Dick is back, that's fantastic! But that will certainly be weird since I think he was a pretty big advocate of hers. I just remember him flipping out when she won her last Nationals. Guess it would be weirder if it was someone he DIDN'T like though.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he works well enough with Scott and he isn't a big fan of Mr. Hamilton from what I've gathered (he 'respects him' but he never gushed about him from what I've seen)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can only remember Katarina Witt when she did some TV work for ABC back in 04 (?). She provided eye-candy, sure, but- umm, let's say it wasn't her thing. It might have been the language barrier, but still- there's a reason you stick to the tried and true.

Guess it would be weirder if it was someone he DIDN'T like though.

Peggy Fleming writes in her book The Long Program (great title!) that when she was chosen to work with Dick Button in the broadcast booth, she dreaded it. She was afraid of him because her mother had told her every little thing that Dick had said on the air about her skating, and made it sound like Button hated it.

Peggy writes that she was surprised and encouraged when she found out that, on the contrary, Button thought the world of her.

I can only remember Katarina Witt when she did some TV work for ABC back in 04 (?). She provided eye-candy, sure, but- umm, let's say it wasn't her thing.

I thought she did OK. The only particular thing I remember about Witt's stint was at 2005 Skate America, when Alissa Czisny won the free skate but was too far behind Elena Sokolova after the short to win overall.

Peggy and Dick were all over "Alissa was robbed," and Katarina was the only level-headed one who pointed out that under the CoP you add up the points for both segments.

Anyway, I don't expect that the show's writers and producers will give Michelle anything but bland and blah lines as she dips her toe into the commentating waters.

Last edited:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Anyway, I don't expect that the show's writers and producers will give Michelle anything but bland and blah lines as she dips her toe into the commentating waters.

Working with Costas, both Michelle and Dick will feed off what discussion topics he provides him... and I guarantee that those topics will not be scripted, nor will their replies. :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Peggy writes that she was surprised and encouraged when she found out that, on the contrary, Button thought the world of her.

but he had no respect for her opinion in the booth.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I can only remember Katarina Witt when she did some TV work for ABC back in 04 (?). She provided eye-candy, sure, but- umm, let's say it wasn't her thing. It might have been the language barrier, but still- there's a reason you stick to the tried and true.

Huh? I don't understand the reasoning behind this latest negativity. Michelle would be eye-candy and not a good commentator? She should stick with skating? Dick, Peggy and Scott were all skaters too ...

Dick will pack it in soon undoubtedly. Peggy, maybe. Scott could be around a while but regardless, we'll need some new fresh faces. Who better to try than Michelle Kwan? Good lord, give her a chance.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought she did OK. The only particular thing I remember about Witt's stint was at 2005 Skate America, when Alissa Czisny won the free skate but was too far behind Elena Sokolova after the short to win overall.

Peggy and Dick were all over "Alissa was robbed," and Katarina was the only level-headed one who pointed out that under the CoP you add up the points for both segments.

She was alright, but I think she seemed a good bit uncomfortable up there. But you're right- content wise she knew what she was saying.

But back to MK- she's not even going to be doing the actual commentating (at least according to Hersh's article)- she's just going to be broadcast filler with Costas/Button. If she embraces the role I think she might have some interesting stuff to say, but based on what I've heard her say ALREADY there's no real reason for me to get my hopes up for anything. But don't get me wrong- I'm willing to try her out for this small role just to see. If she brings nothing to the table, she shouldn't come back. But if she ends up really sharing insights that the other two didn't (i.e. she ADDS to the team), then by all means put her on the Olympic broadcast team.

I remember on the joke thread (not here) I said- hey, at least it's not Cohen! :laugh: :banging: (There was an article on a non-reliable site that said it was her that would be on NBC's coverage.)

Last edited:

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I doubt Michelle would be hired to commentate as 'eye candy.' She was ilkely hired because of her knowledge of the sport (hopefully she has studied the C ofP thought).

herios

Medalist
I doubt Michelle would be hired to commentate as 'eye candy.' She was ilkely hired because of her knowledge of the sport (hopefully she has studied the C ofP thought).

That is exactly it. I see a lot of "love" here towards Michelle, but don't forget she "won't skate" but comment and analyze and that is a totally new role.
You cannot be sure how she will do until we see her.
To be good in this role, it takes a lot, it needs a complex skill set. Pleasant voice, knowledge, spontaneity, objectivity are just a few of the most important ones.

Every champion who desires to take on this role, would most likely get this chance, but just a few of them will become good at it, and most of them not by night. (think about Rosalyn Summners for example!)

Some here are saying Peggy Fleming did a good job, she indeed had a pleasant voice, however in terms of objectivity she was not your best pick, she definitely has some personal biases. Also she didn't grasp COP rules as they came in waves, that is very important to exaplain to the viewvers why some of the results are coming out as they do

kittyjake5

On the Ice
But don't get me wrong- I'm willing to try her out for this small role just to see. If she brings nothing to the table, she shouldn't come back. But if she ends up really sharing insights that the other two didn't (i.e. she ADDS to the team), then by all means put her on the Olympic broadcast team.

Well isn't that nice of you. Why don't you e-mail Michelle's people with your thoughts after the broadcast, I am sure Michelle would be happy to hear
your feedback.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
That is exactly it. I see a lot of "love" here towards Michelle, but don't forget she "won't skate" but comment and analyze and that is a totally new role.
You cannot be sure how she will do until we see her.
To be good in this role, it takes a lot, it needs a complex skill set. Pleasant voice, knowledge, spontaneity, objectivity are just a few of the most important ones.

Every champion who desires to take on this role, would most likely get this chance, but just a few of them will become good at it, and most of them not by night. (think about Rosalyn Summners for example!)

Some here are saying Peggy Fleming did a good job, she indeed had a pleasant voice, however in terms of objectivity she was not your best pick, she definitely has some personal biases. Also she didn't grasp COP rules as they came in waves, that is very important to exaplain to the viewvers why some of the results are coming out as they do
Not to mention when to comment. Chris Howarth is a master in this.