Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kwan to be on NBC's World Championship Broadcast Team

Quote Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
    Guess it would be weirder if it was someone he DIDN'T like though.
    Peggy Fleming writes in her book The Long Program (great title!) that when she was chosen to work with Dick Button in the broadcast booth, she dreaded it. She was afraid of him because her mother had told her every little thing that Dick had said on the air about her skating, and made it sound like Button hated it.

Peggy writes that she was surprised and encouraged when she found out that, on the contrary, Button thought the world of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    I can only remember Katarina Witt when she did some TV work for ABC back in 04 (?). She provided eye-candy, sure, but- umm, let's say it wasn't her thing.
    I thought she did OK. The only particular thing I remember about Witt's stint was at 2005 Skate America, when Alissa Czisny won the free skate but was too far behind Elena Sokolova after the short to win overall.

Peggy and Dick were all over "Alissa was robbed," and Katarina was the only level-headed one who pointed out that under the CoP you add up the points for both segments.

Anyway, I don't expect that the show's writers and producers will give Michelle anything but bland and blah lines as she dips her toe into the commentating waters.
    Last edited by Mathman; 02-22-2009 at 11:08 AM.

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Anyway, I don't expect that the show's writers and producers will give Michelle anything but bland and blah lines as she dips her toe into the commentating waters.
    Working with Costas, both Michelle and Dick will feed off what discussion topics he provides him... and I guarantee that those topics will not be scripted, nor will their replies.

Peggy writes that she was surprised and encouraged when she found out that, on the contrary, Button thought the world of her.
    but he had no respect for her opinion in the booth.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    but he had no respect for her opinion in the booth.
    Uncle Dick doesn't seem to respect anyone's opinions (his own excepted, of course) in the booth.

Banned
    I can only remember Katarina Witt when she did some TV work for ABC back in 04 (?). She provided eye-candy, sure, but- umm, let's say it wasn't her thing. It might have been the language barrier, but still- there's a reason you stick to the tried and true.
    Huh? I don't understand the reasoning behind this latest negativity. Michelle would be eye-candy and not a good commentator? She should stick with skating? Dick, Peggy and Scott were all skaters too ...

Dick will pack it in soon undoubtedly. Peggy, maybe. Scott could be around a while but regardless, we'll need some new fresh faces. Who better to try than Michelle Kwan? Good lord, give her a chance.

Down With It
    I thought she did OK. The only particular thing I remember about Witt's stint was at 2005 Skate America, when Alissa Czisny won the free skate but was too far behind Elena Sokolova after the short to win overall.

Peggy and Dick were all over "Alissa was robbed," and Katarina was the only level-headed one who pointed out that under the CoP you add up the points for both segments.
    She was alright, but I think she seemed a good bit uncomfortable up there. But you're right- content wise she knew what she was saying.

But back to MK- she's not even going to be doing the actual commentating (at least according to Hersh's article)- she's just going to be broadcast filler with Costas/Button. If she embraces the role I think she might have some interesting stuff to say, but based on what I've heard her say ALREADY there's no real reason for me to get my hopes up for anything. But don't get me wrong- I'm willing to try her out for this small role just to see. If she brings nothing to the table, she shouldn't come back. But if she ends up really sharing insights that the other two didn't (i.e. she ADDS to the team), then by all means put her on the Olympic broadcast team.

I remember on the joke thread (not here) I said- hey, at least it's not Cohen! :banging: (There was an article on a non-reliable site that said it was her that would be on NBC's coverage.)
    Last edited by R.D.; 02-23-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Custom Title
    I doubt Michelle would be hired to commentate as 'eye candy.' She was ilkely hired because of her knowledge of the sport (hopefully she has studied the C ofP thought).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    I doubt Michelle would be hired to commentate as 'eye candy.' She was ilkely hired because of her knowledge of the sport (hopefully she has studied the C ofP thought).

That is exactly it. I see a lot of "love" here towards Michelle, but don't forget she "won't skate" but comment and analyze and that is a totally new role.
    You cannot be sure how she will do until we see her.
    To be good in this role, it takes a lot, it needs a complex skill set. Pleasant voice, knowledge, spontaneity, objectivity are just a few of the most important ones.

Every champion who desires to take on this role, would most likely get this chance, but just a few of them will become good at it, and most of them not by night. (think about Rosalyn Summners for example!)

Some here are saying Peggy Fleming did a good job, she indeed had a pleasant voice, however in terms of objectivity she was not your best pick, she definitely has some personal biases. Also she didn't grasp COP rules as they came in waves, that is very important to exaplain to the viewvers why some of the results are coming out as they do

But don't get me wrong- I'm willing to try her out for this small role just to see. If she brings nothing to the table, she shouldn't come back. But if she ends up really sharing insights that the other two didn't (i.e. she ADDS to the team), then by all means put her on the Olympic broadcast team.
    Well isn't that nice of you. Why don't you e-mail Michelle's people with your thoughts after the broadcast, I am sure Michelle would be happy to hear
    your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    That is exactly it. I see a lot of "love" here towards Michelle, but don't forget she "won't skate" but comment and analyze and that is a totally new role.
    You cannot be sure how she will do until we see her.
    To be good in this role, it takes a lot, it needs a complex skill set. Pleasant voice, knowledge, spontaneity, objectivity are just a few of the most important ones.

Every champion who desires to take on this role, would most likely get this chance, but just a few of them will become good at it, and most of them not by night. (think about Rosalyn Summners for example!)

Some here are saying Peggy Fleming did a good job, she indeed had a pleasant voice, however in terms of objectivity she was not your best pick, she definitely has some personal biases. Also she didn't grasp COP rules as they came in waves, that is very important to exaplain to the viewvers why some of the results are coming out as they do
    Not to mention when to comment. Chris Howarth is a master in this.

One big advantage Michelle will have in the booth is that she has competed at Worlds within the last five years and competed under COP - I think it was only a few times but that does give her some experience. She will have to brush up on the rules however since so much has changed.

Many commentators who were former skaters have not competed on the world stage for many decades - when did Dick Button compete, the 1950s? I think Michelle will bring a refreshing look to the event and skaters as she can still very much relate to them!

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GiuliaPlum View Post
    Not to mention when to comment. Chris Howarth is a master in this.
    Yes, he is. Eurosport commentators should organise a workshop. There are so few good skating commentators around.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    One big advantage Michelle will have in the booth is that she has competed at Worlds within the last five years and competed under COP - I think it was only a few times but that does give her some experience. She will have to brush up on the rules however since so much has changed.
    ITA with this. A fresh perspective would be nice, if she's willing to offer one.

Many commentators who were former skaters have not competed on the world stage for many decades - when did Dick Button compete, the 1950s? I think Michelle will bring a refreshing look to the event and skaters as she can still very much relate to them!
    Let's hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Eurofan View Post
    Uncle Dick doesn't seem to respect anyone's opinions (his own excepted, of course) in the booth.
    true enough but others either ignored him (Paul Wylie), stood their ground and stuck by their opinion (Kurt Browning), or let him have his way but still had their say (Peter Carruthers, Brian Boitano)... Peggy always seemed to cower under his berating of her 'stupidity'... he's just a big bully.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    true enough but others either ignored him (Paul Wylie), stood their ground and stuck by their opinion (Kurt Browning), or let him have his way but still had their say (Peter Carruthers, Brian Boitano)... Peggy always seemed to cower under his berating of her 'stupidity'... he's just a big bully.
    Well, the "big bully" is about 80 years old now, so we probably don't have to go through too many more seasons listening to him crab about Tammy Twizzle's unacceptable free-leg position in her layback spin, or Steven Salchow's failure to put "the jump in that jump."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast