Our Comcast dropped Style | Golden Skate

Our Comcast dropped Style

Johar

Medalist
So, I won't get to see any Worlds. This sucks big time. Oh sure, I get two hours on NBC, the Ladies Long. But there is all the other I will be missing.

Johar

Medalist
I meant to write Oxygen. Well they dropped Oxygen, Style, National Geographic, Hallmark, etc.

I'll correct my post.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Time to change cable providers, or seek out a friend who has access to Oxygen Network. ;) There's always youtube, too. Sorry about your dilemma. I know it has to be frustrating! I would be really mad, too. :yes:

Johar

Medalist
I know of only one person who gets Oxygen, but the TV is in her bedroom so it's a no-go. And won't the performances get deleted from You Tube as quickly as the soul sucking Ice Network people can pull them?

This is asinine that I can't watch a major skating competition because they aren't aired on normal cable channels!

dewey

Rinkside
AFAIK, Ice Network doesn't have any rights to Worlds, so if the videos get deleted, it will be by some other soul-sucker. I am hoping for a way to watch on demand because 1) I don't have Oxygen (gasp) and 2) much of it takes place during the work day.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I will be relying on the charity of uploading friends and hoping that the Turkish internet network carries dance and men as well as ladies.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's also the option of finding someone willing to record the competition onto DVDs and sell them. You can pretty much find DVD sellers on all the major skating forums. Unfortunately, I personally don't have the equipment necessary to make such DVD copies, but it may be something to look into for those willing to do so. It's a real bummer what the state of figure skating in the United States has become. :cry::disapp: Hopefully, nothing happens to my access to Oxygen Network before late March. *knock on wood*

On another subject, I know in the past when ESPN has had the rights to Worlds, they re-aired the broadcast. I wonder if Oxygen has any plans of re-airing Worlds after the original broadcast? It would be great if a fellow NBC Universal owned network like USA Network could re-air it, so more people hopefully would have access to see it. I know it's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can make DVD copies... and I won't "sell" them... but help with shipping would be good... just offering..

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm just gonna forget about cable coverage and see if I can get the Turkish stream online for whatever NBC doesn't show (which would, of course, be a lot).

Actually, I have the capability of making such DVD recordings (via computer video files). I try to record skating coverage (in HD, if possible), but s--, err, things happen and I don't always succeed (i.e. 0-2 :banging: in getting US Nationals since acquiring the HDTV equipment). I don't think I'll ask for Oxygen Worlds stuff, but hopefully I can capture what NBC shows. Assuming it's actually shown by the local station, of course.

Johar

Medalist
Tonichelle and anyone else who can help.

Should I call Comcast and complain or is it going to go in one ear and out the other? They are also going to drop Cartoon Network, so no more Adult Swim. So long Aqua Teen Hunger Force. They aren't replacing these channels with anything! And they raised the price!

Why can't they drop the religious channels?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well being one of those annoying religious people I'd rather they drop WE and CN instead of the religious channels, but that's just me (actually aside from TBN I'm not keen on the religious channels either)...

you should definitely complain, though they may not revoke the switch in time for worlds, but they *might* considering everything that's being taken away chances are you won't be the only one complaining. Definitely get in touch with them and voice your concern - just make sure you aren't just ranting at them. Be calm and respectful! :laugh:

Dont suggest dropping other channels instead or they may just drop them too and not add anything back haha!

Jhar55

Medalist
Gee, don't get Oxygen or Universal Sports. Yeah I have Comcast and I've called and emailed them waste of time. Kind of stuck with it I rent and the owners don't want the dish attached to their building or post in the ground. Johar try lookin for Style on the upper channels / digital you may find it there that's where they moved our to just notice last night while flipping. So most likely if you missing a channel look there Comcast is/has moved lot of channels there guess to force customers to rent their boxes to watch anything....

Tammi

On the Ice
Have you checked out your channel lineup yet? You can see it if you go to the Comcast.com website, click on programming and then channel lineup. It should ask for your zipcode info. I know for my area, the Oxygen channel is up in the low 200's. They may have bundled it with another package (so you might need to upgrade). That would stink if you now have to pay more for it, or if they did away it all together.

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
A tip if you have Oxygen but have to upgrade to another package to get it. You can get the new package and after what your wanting to see (skating) is over go back to your old package just say you changed your mind...

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I can make DVD copies... and I won't "sell" them... but help with shipping would be good... just offering..

Of the entire event? How much do you want for shipping to 22205? BTW, how are classes and photography coming along?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
classes have stalled, taking an indefinite break to regroup. I had a major meltdown last semester. Photo is going well :)

and yeah I'll be taping the whole event because I will be working through most of it *sigh*

R.D.

Record Breaker
If anything I'd only care about the ladies' short. I don't know about the freeskates, I will try to record that when it airs. Keyword being TRY, of course :rolleye:

If you are not a red blooded fan of the entire sport, I think NBC will give some of the last groups to skate on Oxygen as well as on NBC sports. So you should get the highlights. No problem.

If you must see everything as I must (and it can be boring at times) I would suggest you try to find a stream from somewhere leading into your living room.
What I like about seeing the whole kit and kaboodle is singling out that young skater in the early groups who I believe shows something special. I find that rewarding and keep a watch on for next season.