Ladies short program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ladies short program

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm happy for Elene, but this is a really awkward competition. Elene competed in the 2006 Olympics, why is she now at the JUNIOR World Championships 3 years later???

But, hey, I'm VERY glad that she finally delivered again. I hope she can keep it up.

Fashionista

On the Ice
But if Kostner makes the podium with messy jumps and so-so spins and spiral, what is she really maximizing (other than a substantial wedgie displayed liberally beneath her too-short skirts)?

Kostner has SO-SO spins and spirals?:eek: Wow, something new to me. Actually Zhang's spirals has nothing to do with Carolina's and her spins still worse although they're not bad at all.
But to tell the truth Zhang is very tiresome to me, she lacks of artistic skill, her programs are not interesting, generally she's quite boring, sorry.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Kostner has SO-SO spins and spirals?:eek: Wow, something new to me. Actually Zhang's spirals has nothing to do with Carolina's and her spins still worse although they're not bad at all.
But to tell the truth Zhang is very tiresome to me, she lacks of artistic skill, her programs are not interesting, generally she's quite boring, sorry.

ITA. Carolina has a speed and depth of edge to her spirals that Zhang can only DREAM about, and her positions are more than adequate. Carolina is not the best spinner, but I would never say she is a bad spinner, not at all. And in terms of footwork, she blows Zhang out of the water.

antmanb

Record Breaker
The difference between those two is that Kostner plays by the rules of the game. She may fall, but she rotates the jumps. Here, Zhang did not rotate her jumps, and she also failed to include a required element, the jump combination, because she fell on the first jump of the combo. There was nothing to hold up. And it really is telling when someone who is capable of placing 3rd in PCS and still finds themself in 10th place overall. She needs to fix her basic skating, in a big way.

Did you watch any of the ldies competition at Europeans? Kostner in the SP failed to include a required element - the solo jump and in the LP she (arguably)did too many rotations in an upright position after a change sitspin that it was called a change foot combination spin (which she'd already done) and it was discounted. Just poiting out that "playing by the rules" doesn't matter a stuff under COP where the rules are applied arbitrarily.

Ant

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Did you watch any of the ldies competition at Europeans? Kostner in the SP failed to include a required element - the solo jump and in the LP she (arguably)did too many rotations in an upright position after a change sitspin that it was called a change foot combination spin (which she'd already done) and it was discounted. Just poiting out that "playing by the rules" doesn't matter a stuff under COP where the rules are applied arbitrarily.

Ant

And Kostner didn't win the competition, did she? She lost the points for the missing element in the SP, and lost the points for the spin in th LP. She was able to earn enough points on other elements to finish second, in a weak field. Like I said, she plays by the rules and racks up enough poins to balance out a mistake or two.

LeCygne

Final Flight
And Kostner didn't win the competition, did she? She lost the points for the missing element in the SP, and lost the points for the spin in th LP. She was able to earn enough points on other elements to finish second, in a weak field. Like I said, she plays by the rules and racks up enough poins to balance out a mistake or two.

It's not like Caroline won this competition either... It's like you said, she racked up enough points in the LP, where she rotated all her jumps, to balance out the mistakes in the short.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
This thread is a perfect example of why I no longer visit or post in this particular forum anymore. Way too much pro-American bias and snarkiness for my taste. :disapp:

I don't think that MKF has exclusive rights on pro-American bias or snarkiness. This behavior can be found on other skating boards as well.

antmanb

Record Breaker

Just like Zhang did at Junior worlds - so what's your point? (the difference being that Kostner found herself gifted into 3rd after the SP).

Ant