Training fund established for Johnny Weir | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Training fund established for Johnny Weir

momjudi

On the Ice
Are you now stating that this training fund was organized by fans, and not at Johnny's request?
QUOTE]

Yes, the training fund was organized by fans and not Johnny. I posted the wrong information originally so I corrected my mistake, it is strictly a fan project and I posted the information here because Johnny does have fans who read this board.

Then why did you bring it here? This is a skating board, not a fan board for Johnny.
What an odd comment. There are tons of Johnny fans on this board who will be interested in this announcement. It was perfectly appropriate for her to bring it here in principle (even if you may be right that it could have been done differently and more clearly).

People are making way too much out of this. If you want to donate, donate. If not, not. Just like any charity or athlete-support fund.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
This may be off-topic, but I wonder how many skaters actually have a job while skating competitively. We have talked a lot about going to school/college and competing, but what about working. I would think that getting at least a part-time job would be popular among most skaters 18 and above to cover some costs. There are a handfull that do a little coaching, like Nick LaRoche, but not that many, certainly not the elite skaters.

antmanb

Record Breaker
To me, this really puts the spotlight on just how expensive this sport is. Johnny Weir is a three time U.S. champion, an Olympian and World medallist. He is the most popular U.S. skater in the world and one of the very few that get invited to skate in shows and exhibitions abroad.

If Johnny can't meet his expenses, what skater possibly can?

The question it made me ask wasn't if he can't what skater can, but rather - if he hadn't spent all his money on luxury products would he have been able to afford his skating? My suspicions are yes.

How would people feel if a University student managed to get fantastic summer jobs that paid great money and rather than saving it and putting it towards the rest of their time in study they blew the lot on luxury items and then asked for a handout? That's what it sounds like to me.

And he does have skills that could earn him money - wasn't their an elite male US skater who was in great demand for costume design at some point? Johnny's season's ended early so he has more time on his hands than he's used to.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
They could start in small arenas and work their way up, just like Scott's tour.

They could come to Europe and do really well. We just don't have the same kind of tours with the same number of huge stars over here (i know there are some Russian tours but they tend to stay in Russia), plus Art on Ice but they don't have the same large number of big names old and new that SOI or COI has/had.

I think they're really missing a trick not taking it to Europe. Though in fairness to Johnny - trying to get something like that going at this point in time, in this economy and trying to train full time for the Olympics would not be a good idea at all. But after he retires from elligible competition I think it would be great. Id he friends with Michelle?!

Ant

TravellinJones

Rinkside
What an odd comment. There are tons of Johnny fans on this board who will be interested in this announcement. It was perfectly appropriate for her to bring it here in principle (even if you may be right that it could have been done differently and more clearly).

Apparently, not quite an "odd" comment: Training Fund update

Poor communication amongst his fans, and now I fear Johnny might receive backlash from something he didn't organize or request. :eek:hwell:

^ "Fair is foul and foul is fair." (The Weird Sisters on the CoP.)

[Scott Hamilton] was on the verge of quitting because of the costs - and his mother's doctor bills were mounting... he relied on the funding of a patron couple...

That was actually my point. Scott Hamilton was able to continue his amateur career because he was able to secure funding from a generous sponsor.

Todd Eldredge was "adopted" by his entire home town, which gave him a lot of financial support.

Johnny's fans are doing an Obama -- instead of getting $10,000,000 from one rich person they are using the Internet to get $10 from each of a million people.

BTW, I was once invited to contribute to the support of a famous local ice dancer. It was something like, if you send in $5000 you got to be a Gold Guardian. For $1500 you could be a Silver Sponsor, and for $500 you were in the Bronze Brigade.

I think I am a proud member of the Hypo-Pewter Hippos :)

Last edited:

rateagent

Spectator
In Johnny's case, I view this fund as sort of a "merit" scholarship, not unlike a college kid getting $10,000 whacked off their tuition due to high grades and high test scores. He's proven he has the goods and now, those who admire him and love his skating, can help him out during tough times.

Perhaps that college kid could have squirreled away their allowance for 10 years and the parents could have said OK--no vacations or anything else unnecessary and we won't accept the scholarship. But why do that---we sure didn't. My kid gets the scholarship and we are still paying a bomb for college.

I'm going to contribute something (although it should go into the college fund) because I love Johnny's skating and I'm no longer buying tickets for COI. I want him to keep skating.

efreedman

On the Ice
In Johnny's case, I view this fund as sort of a "merit" scholarship, not unlike a college kid getting $10,000 whacked off their tuition due to high grades and high test scores. He's proven he has the goods and now, those who admire him and love his skating, can help him out during tough times.

Perhaps that college kid could have squirreled away their allowance for 10 years and the parents could have said OK--no vacations or anything else unnecessary and we won't accept the scholarship. But why do that---we sure didn't. My kid gets the scholarship and we are still paying a bomb for college.

I'm going to contribute something (although it should go into the college fund) because I love Johnny's skating and I'm no longer buying tickets for COI. I want him to keep skating.

Bravo! That's an excellent way of looking at it. :rock:

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I really am an emormous Johnny fan but seriously - he swans around in designer clothes, has a penchant for Louis Vuitton bags and luggage. Would anyone seriously put into a fund for a skater who admittedly spends loads of money on luxury items most people don't buy for themselves and then hopes that others will foot the bill for his training :eek:

And yes maybe we all have somethings on which we spend money we shouldn't or don't really have but then that's our choice and we don't go begging others to pick up the tab afterwards.

I'm shocked.

Ant
Perhaps he bought those things awhile ago when he had more money. Perhaps they were gifts. Who knows and who cares. I dont believe a person should have to go around looking like they shop at discount stores. You can buy all sorts of fabulous things at thrift shops and on EBAY.

This is the best approach on this matter. If you are a die hard fan of Johnny then it behooves you to support his quest for money.

If you are not a die hard fan, then it is not necessary to support him or anyone else for that matter.

efreedman

On the Ice
This is the best approach on this matter. If you are a die hard fan of Johnny then it behooves you to support his quest for money.

If you are not a die hard fan, then it is not necessary to support him or anyone else for that matter.

Taking a line from Shakespeare, "The lady doth protest too much methinks".

I think that any of the previous diatribes against the right for Johnny to receive contributions through whatever established mechanisms and the right to announce those vehicles were superfluous. I don't think anyone was asking other than diehard Johnny fans to contribute money.