Training fund established for Johnny Weir | Golden Skate

Training fund established for Johnny Weir

momjudi

On the Ice
Training funds for elite skaters

This thread was getting too off topic so I decided to do some changing. Instead I am listing the different foundations that help skaters with their training costs.

New England Amateur Skating Foundation
P.O. Box 6881
Providence, RI 02940

Jeremy Abbott Fund with the Aspen Skating Club
c/o Aspen Skating Club
P.O. Box 9394
Aspen, CO 81612

Figure Skating in Harlem, Inc.
361 West 125th Street
New York, NY 10027

The Lori Moran-Ditchkus Skating Fund
c/o Ice House
111 Midtown Bridge Approach
Hackensack, NJ 07601

The Michael Weiss Foundation Skating Scholarship
The Michael Weiss Foundation
c/o 5301 Wisconsin Ave, N.W., St. 425
Washington, D.C. 20015

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I really am an emormous Johnny fan but seriously - he swans around in designer clothes, has a penchant for Louis Vuitton bags and luggage. Would anyone seriously put into a fund for a skater who admittedly spends loads of money on luxury items most people don't buy for themselves and then hopes that others will foot the bill for his training :eek:

And yes maybe we all have somethings on which we spend money we shouldn't or don't really have but then that's our choice and we don't go begging others to pick up the tab afterwards.

I'm shocked.

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
how do we know that Johnny wasn't offered SOI and for whatever reason he turned them down.

he's not an IMG skater, am I correct? Maybe SOI is contracted to invite IMG skaters first before going outside...

and if Johnny really wanted to tour he could pull a Scott Hamilton and ask for funding for something like that and start his own.

I just don't get the whole SOI debate. Yes, it's the only ESTABLISHED show in town, but once upon a time so was Ice Capades...

taylorfax

On the Ice
And yes maybe we all have somethings on which we spend money we shouldn't or don't really have but then that's our choice and we don't go begging others to pick up the tab afterwards.

I'm shocked.
*snort* Is he asking you to? He's not asking anyone to. But now it's a possibility for those who would actually like to help. And believe me, there are plenty of those who would be honored to sponsor his skating.

antmanb

Record Breaker
*snort* Is he asking you to? He's not asking anyone to. But now it's a possibility for those who would actually like to help. And believe me, there are plenty of those who would be honored to sponsor his skating.

By setting up a fund he's inviting anyone to contribute not asking anyone specifically. So we're all entitled to weigh in on that.

Are there really plenty of people willing to give someone who has squandered his money on luxury items more money for training? I'm doubtful but I guess stranger things have happened.

I would suggest he think about selling some of his Louis Vuitton if he's that hard up :p

Ant

dancingqueen

On the Ice

taylorfax

On the Ice
By setting up a fund he's inviting anyone to contribute not asking anyone specifically. So we're all entitled to weigh in on that.

Are there really plenty of people willing to give someone who has squandered his money on luxury items more money for training? I'm doubtful but I guess stranger things have happened.
Believe me, there are more than plenty. And I've thought of it myself.

As for yourself, you've obviously 'weighed in' already, so move on.

Medusa

Record Breaker
uh :scratch:
Everyone is entitled to her / his opinion. You can be a fan and still criticise the athlete. I mean, we all love our families to death - but that doesn't mean that they are perfect or that we don't criticise them.

I would suggest he think about selling some of his Louis Vuitton if he's that hard up
I couldn't help but thinking the same - what about selling those sun-glasses...

But on the other hand, saying "you should have foreseen this and could have prevented this - now deal with the consequences" is kind of arrogant and presumptuous. It's a bit like saying "You ate too much chocolate all your life - now die of your heart problems and don't bother us better people who didn't eat too much chocolate".

I see it like this: figure skating is a bit of an art, it's like culture. People donate money to keep theatres, museums etc. alive (at least I do). And in this case you donate to figure skaters, because their art delights you. To me, quite simple actually.

taylorfax

On the Ice
Last time i checked the forum doesn't have "police" so i'll stop commenting when i'm ready to.
Just seems 'bizarre' to me. ;)

I see it like this: figure skating is a bit of an art, it's like culture. People donate money to keep theatres, museums etc. alive (at least I do). And in this case you donate to figure skaters, because their art delights you. To me, quite simple actually.
Beautifully put. :) :thumbsup:

antmanb

Record Breaker
uh :scratch:

I am a huge fan of his skating, and i love his outspoken-ness and persona off ice. That said one of my particular bug-bears with society is my generation's sense of entitled when it comes to material things, this often provokes a huge reaction in me (you might have noticed!).

If someone had a plan to be somewhere in the next four years and had costs that had to met in order to get there then i would have thought earning that money and saving it for that purpose would be paramount. Squandering huge amounts of cash on designer items and foreign holidays and then turning around and saying you can't afford your training and therefore would like people to give you money to help cover your costs is something I find...i can't find the right words but distasteful and a little hypocritical are probably in the right ball park.

Would I part with my hard earned cash and give it to someone who doesn't think twice about squandering money on hugely expensive designer products? Absolutely not, but I gather some people would. That's probably very lucky for Johnny that they will.

Ant

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Would I part with my hard earned cash and give it to someone who doesn't think twice about squandering money on hugely expensive designer products? Absolutely not, but I gather some people would. That's probably very lucky for Johnny that they will.
Ant, I am 100% with you on this.

Having said that, (and I know it's not "Politics" forum, but still) - that is sort of what America is doing right now - bailing out those who've bought 500K houses on 50K salaries. Hey, who knows, may be that's what gave Johnny this idea in the first place ;) Or, better yet, he should just ask for an appropriation from the stimulus package!

dancingqueen

On the Ice
Everyone is entitled to her / his opinion. You can be a fan and still criticise the athlete. I mean, we all love our families to death - but that doesn't mean that they are perfect or that we don't criticise them.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I’m free to consider who is a enormous fan or not, no matter what he/she say. There are many kind of fans, of course. But What I consider about true fans are fans who support the skater when the skater is suffering ( it’s not about money but from the heart ), who really want to see the skater to compete . And not a fan who cares more one’s image of how they can see the things fairly to show everyone ,what is right or wrong based on their own belief, and don’t care whether thier words make the skater hurt or not, or can not think the situation from the skater‘s side, and who care more something they don’t like about the skater than want to him to compete.

And of course , you are free to think whatever you want.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am also surprised that Johnny is that short on cash to accept donations. He always seemed to live the good life, but then again he mentioned that the main reason that he did the shows over Christmas in Japan and Korea was becuase he has not been invited to any in the U.S and he needed "to suppoprt himslef" or something along those lines.
Very interesting. I bet he will get a lot of money from his overseas fans, if they hear about this.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I don't know I am sort of on the fence about this. On the one hand I know that skating is a very expensive sport but I never really thought about the cost for an elite skater because usually they have endorsements, shows and tours to help pay the costs. Also in Johnny's case he is supporting his family too. Apparently Johnny is feeling the pinch.

I always felt sorry for the up and comers who could not continue to compete because of money issues. I don't have a problem donating money to help someone out in a situation like that, and I have donated in the past. Now we have a depressed economy and it will be even more difficult for the talented kid from the working class or middle class family.

If folks want to donate to Johnny's fund to help him out that
is wonderful and they should be commended. After all it is their money.

I personally see Johnny's spending habits as part of his long term strategy of doing something in the fashion industry. There's a saying, to make money you have to spend money. And to impress fashionistas, you have to be one. I don't think his spending has been that insane. His stylishness has raised his profile and brought him lots of attention - which he needs for his financial survival. Anyway I really don't feel I have the info or high moral ground to judge him.

I also have no problem with friends and fans of his establishing a support fund. He didn't do it himself. The USA is the most charitably inclined and volunteer-oriented nation in the world. We have funds for the support of one-footed cuckoos and Tasmanian bass players. There's certainly nothing wrong with one for the *voluntary* support of one of the nation's most precious figure skaters.

And I really don't understand this need to pronounce on the characters of skaters of whom all fans know is what they read in the paper (as it were). It's ignorant and unbecoming. JMO.

What prompted that group to start this fund raising? How did they know he needed financing? Why doesn't some official of that group ask for donations from Johnny's Angels? They are world wide and adore him.

How important are those clothese that Ant mentioned? Will he need more designer clothes? How much are his present coaches charging him? Can he live in Pa, not far from NJ?

He is presently living an easy life. Can he give that up?

efreedman

On the Ice

I couldn't help but thinking the same - what about selling those sun-glasses...

But on the other hand, saying "you should have foreseen this and could have prevented this - now deal with the consequences" is kind of arrogant and presumptuous. It's a bit like saying "You ate too much chocolate all your life - now die of your heart problems and don't bother us better people who didn't eat too much chocolate".

Thanks for a bravura response. I think that after the 2006 Olympics, reality hit Johnny hard; my understanding is that his profligate spending habits changed demonstrably after that point. I think that if indeed one believes that he is an artist and worth supporting, that one can feel a little like De Medici who was one of the prime sponsors of Michaelangelo's work.:agree:

Believe me, there are more than plenty. And I've thought of it myself.

As for yourself, you've obviously 'weighed in' already, so move on.
I think that is the crust of this 'donation'. If you believe that the money you donate on Johnny's behalf then by all means donate. I have questions before I donate to anything. I donate to the NYC Ballet, the Met Opera, Alzheimer's Research among other worthy environmental agencies-all of whom let me know where the money is going. Since I donate money as a Friend of the USFS, why should I also donate to a specific skater? That is not clear to me. If Rippon and Wagner got money from that Agency, no one asked us to donate. Why not?

The question remains since Johnny made or even is making good money, what is happening to it?

efreedman

On the Ice
Neasf

What prompted that group to start this fund raising? How did they know he needed financing? Why doesn't some official of that group ask for donations from Johnny's Angels? They are world wide and adore him.

How important are those clothese that Ant mentioned? Will he need more designer clothes? How much are his present coaches charging him? Can he live in Pa, not far from NJ?

He is presently living an easy life. Can he give that up?

NEASF is a 501c3 organization that allows skaters (many well known skaters use it as a vehicle) to accept tax-deductible donations from sponsors. The skater or his designee petitions the NEASF to accept donations on his part which I believe are subject to rules and review. My guess is that Johnny's Angels as a fan group is not in any way set up such a fund under the IRS tax codes; NEASF was developed expressedly for that purpose. BTW, the moneys are solely for training and other skating related expenses and must be reviewed by the NEASF board before any reimbursement is given.

Where he trains in NJ in nowhere near where his family lives in PA. I work in central NJ and the trip up to his rink took somewhere in the neighborhood of an hour and 15 minutes. It is probably about another 1.5-2 hours to Lancaster where his family resides; not a realistic daily commute.