Training fund established for Johnny Weir | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Training fund established for Johnny Weir

TravellinJones

Rinkside
The link has not been established yet on Johnny's site which is why I posted the original post about the fund for Johnny.

Perhaps you should have waited for the information to be posted on Johnny's official website first, rather than post it to multiple fan boards? Wouldn't that have been the proper way to make this announcement? Is this how Johnny wanted the info to be dispersed?

I have a feeling that specifically asking fans to donate might be part of the reason why some people are a bit put off by this sudden need for money from someone who has admitted to spending $$$$$$$ on material items. Are you really surprised that people (his fans included, btw) might be raising some concerns?

IMO, the initial announcement should have been made on Johnny's website, with perhaps a short note from him explaining why he needs to go down this road. This would have eliminated a lot of questions.

To me, this really puts the spotlight on just how expensive this sport is. Johnny Weir is a three time U.S. champion, an Olympian and World medallist. He is the most popular U.S. skater in the world and one of the very few that get invited to skate in shows and exhibitions abroad.

If Johnny can't meet his expenses, what skater possibly can?

But this Agency has opend a can of worms. I think I am entitled to know how the money is distributed and how much is needed for administrative costs.
Development Officers require salary. Volunteers do not. Elizabeth Taylor's Aids fund is run by volunteers. It has 10 per cent admin costs, so 90 per cent goes to aid research.

But this Agency has opend a can of worms. I think I am entitled to know how the money is distributed and how much is needed for administrative costs.
Development Officers require salary. Volunteers do not. Elizabeth Taylor's Aids fund is run by volunteers. It has 10 per cent admin costs, so 90 per cent goes to aid research.
If you're talking about AMFAR, take another look. (See Guidestar site for evaluation of nonprofits and copies of their 990s.) Their program: management/fundraising ratio is 77%: 23%. They have lots of paid staff (certainly any group that large has a development office) as well as volunteers. Nonprofit jobs are a big part of the workforce in America. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with paying a staff a day's pay to do a day's work.

I'd suggest people take up their legitimate concerns about the fund and how it will be run directly with the fund itself rather than raking Johnny over the coals here. I'm sure they are preparing fact sheets for that purpose as we chat. And you can request copies of bylaws and guidelines and annual reports from the parent fund, NEASF. Nonprofits are legally obligated to provide that info on request.

Otherwise I fear this thread is going to make it hard for Johnny to accept support that apparently he needs quite badly because of the bad publicity. That would be really unfortunate... especially coming from fans.

...Otherwise I fear this thread is going to make it hard for Johnny to accept support that apparently he needs quite badly because of the bad publicity.

Then again, Johnny is going to be criticized no matter what he does, so he might as well take the money. ;)

What percentage of your donation actually goes to the skater? One Hundred Percent..

That is the part, if reliable, that needs to be bolded.

TravellinJones

Rinkside
The announcement was posted on Johnny's message board, the administrator of the board gave her permission for the post to be copied and pasted on other skating boards.

"Johnny's message board" is the message board for the Angels, correct?

I would have preferred to see an official announcement on his official website, not something posted by the administrator of that board, who also happens to be a fan. Why couldn't the FSO webmaster post the information? Is this a fan project or something coming from Johnny and his team? This information seems to have been posted there in between calendar sales and gifts for Johnny. :scratch:

I don't want Johnny to experience any backlash or negative press about this situation, especially since we are just about to enter the Olympic skating season. This announcement was not handled correctly, imo. :no:

Last edited:
I just checked it out by going to Johnny's offcial web site. It hasn't been updated since September.

But on the front page there is this exchange in a question adn answer session:

Q: Do you read figure skating news in magazines and on message boards...

A: I am human, so gossip can be very funny or interesting to learn but I don’t live for it. I definitely do not go on gossip pages and such. I went one time to the main gossip board when I was younger and found it very negative and mean. It is easy to say something terrible about someone when you have a computer in front of you and nobody can see you....

:cool:

efreedman

On the Ice

To the best of my knowledge, this is a fully volunteer organization, run by individuals who do not draw a salary. Joesitz, I'm surprised that you didn't know anything about the NEASF, since it has been in existence for many years. I would be interested to see if and what kind of response you get from them as to your entitlement to know how monies are distributed.

The mission of the New England Amateur Skating Foundation is to help competitive skaters by defraying some of their ever-increasing expenses. With many skaters in need of support, the Foundation, a tax-exempt organization, offers the opportunity of sponsorship to anyone who would like to help.
What is the New England Amateur Skating Foundation (NEASF)?

The NEASF is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to assist competitive amateur skaters. All Regional, Sectional, National and International skaters are eligible for assistance.

How Does The NEASF work?

Donations are received from both individuals and corporations. The monies collected are then used to defray skating-related expenses such as ice time, lessons, costumes, equipment, competition fee's, strength training, ballet, off-ice classes and travel expenses.

How are the funds allocated?

The NEASF Allocations Committee reviews its information about a skater and allocates funds accordingly.
Information reviewed includes comments and recommendations of clubs, professionals and donors, as well as the experience and competitive level of the skater.

How does a skater receive money from the fund?

The skater must submit a bill or bills signed by the skater's parents as well as the head coach. Payment is made directly to the vendor or provider of the services.

What percentage of my donation actually goes to the skater?

One hundred percent: The NEASF charges no fees and there are no deductions of any kind. All of the operating expenses of the Foundation are paid by volunteers. All donations are used to help the skaters.

Are Donations Tax-Deductible?

The NEASF is tax-exempt under 501(C)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Donations, therefore, are usually deductible. You should consult with your tax accountant or advisor as to how your contributions is to be treated.

How should my donation check be made out?

Please make your check payable to:
New England Amateur Skating Foundation or NEASF.
If you wish to recommend a particular skater, please include this information on a separate piece of paper along with your check.

If you have further questions, please contact at:

New England Amateur Skating Foundation
P.O. BOX 6881
Providence, RI. 02940
Phone: (401) 861-9266
Fax: (401) 861-3628

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SOI has only so much room anyway... they've been feeling the pinch for years... yes a lot of the skaters in the show know the right people and are friends or at least friendly with the director/co-owner/founder...

my point still stands that Johnny could - if he really wanted to - look into starting his own tour... it'll be rough going in the beginning but if he just wants the easy road then maybe he shouldn't be pitied... it's all about how much he wants and what he wants... not what should be given to him.

and that's true of any skater IMHO.

momjudi

On the Ice
"Johnny's message board" is the message board for the Angels, correct?
I would have preferred to see an official announcement on his official website, not something posted by the administrator of that board, who also happens to be a fan. Why couldn't the FSO webmaster post the information? Is this a fan project or something coming from Johnny and his team? This information seems to have been posted there in between calendar sales and gifts for Johnny. :scratch:
I don't want Johnny to experience any backlash or negative press about this situation, especially since we are just about to enter the Olympic skating season. This announcement was not handled correctly, imo. :no:

Yes, this is a fan project which is why it was posted originally on Johnny's message board.

my point still stands that Johnny could - if he really wanted to - look into starting his own tour...

I think it is a little different situation. Scott Hamilton did not start his tour until a couple of years after he had won the Olympic gold medal and retired from competition. How did Hamilton pay his bills as an amateur skater? I assume his parents were his main source of support in those days?

Since retirement, I have worked with several organizations who manage the donations for a specific cause Many of them have a development board which overseas the monies and seeks ways to get more sponsors. They are profesional people and receive a living wage for their work. They are paid by part of the money collected as donations

I'm afraid I have never heard of NEASF. I'm certaily not against the aims, but as with any charity I donate to, I want to be assured the monies are going to the needy parties seeking assistance. I expect the organization to weigh the pros and cons of giving assistance to each skater in need on an individual basis and not just for the asking. Like with any give away government agency one has to prove they need the help.

For example, if I receive money for a lesson, and the money is awarded, the personal money I save on that assistance, can go for something personal that I don't need for skating or anything else. Is that correct?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no Scott's family did not support him fully in the 4 years he was skating at the top (in fact when he moved to CO it was because that's where they wanted him to go, not because of his parents... he was on the verge of quitting because of the costs - and his mother's doctor bills were mounting... priorities were in the right place in the Hamilton household). he relied on the funding of a patron couple... which was not unheard of in US figure skating 'in those days'... not sure why we don't hear about those types anymore... or if it's even allowed these days.

"Back in teh day" skaters like Scott couldn't get endorsements and retain their olympic elligibility, since 1994 that's not the case. SOI was started because Scott got, basically, fired from Ice Capades because he was the wrong gender and they thought HE was the reason they weren't selling tickets. His agent was basically told "Male figure skaters don't sell tickets, we have to let him go." So they went about creating a tour where men could prove that wasn't the case :laugh:

They had a heck of a time in the first year or two... but in the hay day of skating they had, what, over 80 tour stops?... Johnny could, if he found the right cast, crew, and had the drive. I refuse to believe that without hard work it wouldn't happen.... COI went under because of poor management from what I gathered and the lack of interest in its original backers...not because there isn't enough interest.

They could start in small arenas and work their way up, just like Scott's tour.

SJAnderson

Spectator
Easier said than done ...

SOI has only so much room anyway... they've been feeling the pinch for years... yes a lot of the skaters in the show know the right people and are friends or at least friendly with the director/co-owner/founder...

my point still stands that Johnny could - if he really wanted to - look into starting his own tour... it'll be rough going in the beginning but if he just wants the easy road then maybe he shouldn't be pitied... it's all about how much he wants and what he wants... not what should be given to him.

and that's true of any skater IMHO.

Well let's think about that - If Champions on Ice could not make a go of it - after all the years they were around, why would anyone think a brand new figure skating touring company could be successful?

But never say never - maybe one day when Johnny and other skaters hang up their skates and end their amateur competitive careers, they will form their own touring group. In fact, maybe Michelle Kwan should start her own tour - I'm sure many people would love to see her perform again. :clap:

p.s. Just to clear up the question of SOI - Johnny has never been invited to tour with them. He would accept in a heartbeat, but needs to be asked first. Lord knows, I've tried submitting his name to SOI as a "write-in" candidate, but to no avail.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ice Capades *finally* went under at the height of skating popularity after years of poor management...

Johnny could bring something new. People are focusing on the 'possible ways to fail'... which is just making an excuse, IMHO.

p.s. Just to clear up the question of SOI - Johnny has never been invited to tour with them. He would accept in a heartbeat, but needs to be asked first. Lord knows, I've tried submitting his name to SOI as a "write-in" candidate, but to no avail.
Off topic: That's the shame for the perceived profit loss because he doesn't fit the American boy expectation. Not unlike Greg Louganis who was refused his place on the Wheaties Box.

But this is off topic, and we know the reason for Johnny, who would bring in packed houses round the world, is not with SOI.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh, please... this SOI argument is so tired... none of the male skaters in SOI fit the "All American Boy" persona because of their sport.

SJAnderson

Spectator
I'm afraid I have never heard of NEASF. I'm certaily not against the aims, but as with any charity I donate to, I want to be assured the monies are going to the needy parties seeking assistance. I expect the organization to weigh the pros and cons of giving assistance to each skater in need on an individual basis and not just for the asking. Like with any give away government agency one has to prove they need the help.

It's a shame you have not heard about it before now. I have been supporting various skaters through NEASF for over two years. The foundation was started by Herbert E. Kaplan over 20 years ago. Sadly, Herb died last June and those trying to keep it going have no telephone, fax number or website, only an email address, so their overhead is extremely low. They give of their time to help the athletes and to keep the foundation going in Herb's memory.

Let me clear up a possible misconception here - the skaters do not ask NEASF for money, the people who donate designate who they want the contribution to benefit. Although the Foundation makes the final determination of the allocation of funds, they usually follow the wishes of the donor - which is what they have always done for me. I have always received a verification of my tax deductible contribution amount from NEASF and a thank you letter from the athlete. It really is a wonderful organization to assist our talented young people.

As with any donation, people give because their hearts lead them to do so.

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice

The point is that you don't want to help him.

I doubt Johnny would want any help, sympathy or pity from people who don't want to help him.

TravellinJones

Rinkside
Yes, this is a fan project which is why it was posted originally on Johnny's message board.

Then why did you bring it here? This is a skating board, not a fan board for Johnny.

Are you now stating that this training fund was organized by fans, and not at Johnny's request?

This entire situation has me so confused.