• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Lu Chen 98 Olympics

Michelle Kwan 98 Nationals

Nicole Bobek 97 Nationals

Nancy Kerrigan 94 Olympics

I had to go with Lulu. Michelle's Nationals performances, short and long programs, were perahps the defining moment of her career. But what she was "coming back" from was a fairly routine injury plus a minor growth spurt -- she had, after all, only fallen to second the year before.

But Lu Chen started so far back that she didn't even make the Olympic team. Only the fact that her fedeartion literally had no one else to send gave her the chance to qualify through the back door. No one was expecting even a top ten for her.

Eurofan

On the Ice
I was torn between Kwan and Chen, but Lulu won out.
I'm just curious - since Karl Schäfer Memorial was an Olympic qualifier event, how was Chen's win there "qualifying through the back door"?

^ Well, what I meant by the "front door" was -- um, however skaters qualify who don't have to go through qualifying events like the Karl Schaefer. Like however it was that Michelle and Tara qualified for Olympics that year.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Irina back in 04-05, winning every event she entered coming back from serious illness.

lcd

Match Penalty
Here I go dating myself again.

Irina Rodnina - twice.

First at the 1973 World Championships - after being dumped by the partner that she won Gold with in Sapporo, because he had fallen in love with the lady in the silver medal team, she held an open try out, picked a handsome tall guy (Zaitsev), went to worlds the next year, and kicked her old partners' @ss. :rock: Now THAT's a come back.

The second time, more a miracle of biology and the power of a great champion and womanhood. After missing the 1979 season to give birth, she won Gold at the 1980 Olympics. Tai and Randy benefitted in 1979, winning Worlds. Rodnina then was helped by Randy's injury at the Olympics in 1980. Still a great comeback performance from a great athlete of the sport.

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
What about Mao Asada in 08 worlds LP. She had that horrendous fall, but regrouped and took the goldd medal. :cool:

lcd

Match Penalty
My favorite is still Lulu in Nagano, one of my most favorite performances.

I loved that one too. I found especially touching the bow - in appreciation - she did before her coach before stepping off the rink. Heartfelt and classy.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's between Kwan in '98 and Kerrigan in '94 given the choices available.

I'm pretty surprised that Lu Chen in '98 is so far ahead in the voting given the fact that she clearly under-rotated 4 triple jumps in Nagano (the 3Lutz in combination in the SP, the 3flip that she also stepped out of, the 2nd 3Lutz, and the 2nd 3toe in the 3toe+3toe combo, which she also two-footed in her LP, would all have been downgraded to double jumps under COP). She had strong programs presentation-wise, but very weak technically if you ask me. I think Maria Butyrskaya should have won that Olympic bronze medal in 1998.

Last edited: