2009 Worlds Banners and Camera Policy | Golden Skate

2009 Worlds Banners and Camera Policy

Medusa

Record Breaker
From Ice Skating International

It's like entering the freaking Vatican! No, wait - you are actually allowed to bring food and your camera into the Vatican.

I don't remember that kind of policy from any of the figure skating events in Europe that I attended, the last being TEB 2008.

Hopefully they won't implement similar policies in Europe, I am planning to attend the Worlds in Torino without starving to death during the freeskates.

gsrossano

Final Flight
And speaking of food -- anyone who was at 2002 Nationals knows that the concession prices at Staples Center are among the highest in North America. Plus there is a NO RENTRY policy during events that is a nightmare also. So you can't go out during an ice cut and then expect to get back in (Men's and Ladies SP are he only exceptions), and returning contraband to your car during an event requires coordination with Guest Services if you expect to get back in.

jumpjumpjump

On the Ice
So, can we still bring a digital camera in? like those cannon powershot? and no pictures even with the flash off?

Kimmie Fan

On the Ice
There is no need to panic here.

ISU and Staples are probably contractually required to say these things for insurance purposes.

But in reality, I doubt the enforcement will be any different compared to other sporting events like basketball or tennis.

For example, there is no way they could enforce that No Re-entry policy, because what about those that have Practice Pass?
I think they are allowed to move back and forth between the Arena and the Convention center where the practices are held.

I think the only one they really care about is bringing in food since that affects their concession sales

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no telephoto lens????? that's even more strict than what they have for US Nationals (up to a 200mm zoom lens)... not cool...

but yes, the cameras are still allowed... just no video cameras - which I have no problem with (they always let certain skater parents get away with it though... *cough*Baldwins*cough*... at least at nationals)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, I just returned from Arizona and you guys are confusing me again....I have never heard of a no re-entry policy at any event. Does anyone have a link to this policy for LA? At Cleveland, I had to deal with fans with very long lens on their cameras that shot them like machine guns, so I asked the gate guards about just what their criteria was for letting cameras in, and they said they were letting in all cameras.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Chris - the link is in the original post.

And define long lens... the super long telephoto lenses are from professional media photogs...

and the USFSA has a strict 200mm or less lens policy... so the only ones that have the super long lenses are media... and they do shoot in rapid fire (as do I) it's the only way to get that million dollar shot.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
The organizing committee has established a policy that no commercial or flash photography of any kind will be allowed. Camcorders or any other audio/visual equipment is also prohibited. Specifically, the use of the following equipment is not permitted:

Video cameras

Ah, but one can bring a normal digital photo camera which just happens to have the ability to film too!

God their rules suck! Especially the food one!
I'd like to know how they actually plan to ensure that all spectators have no food on them?

Flowers, plush toys and other throwable items will also be prohibited from entry into the arena. Such items must be properly wrapped or inspected so as not to be a hazard to the skaters when thrown on the ice

Is it me, or is that just contradictory?

Medusa

Record Breaker
Plush toys no doubt will be offered for sale inside the arena.
Probably every toy as expensive as a Steifftier...

(I just have to say this: what a bunch of ruthless capitalists! The prices for the tickets are huge to begin with - and then you have to buy overexpensive food in the arena, the flowers and the toys???)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As I read the link, SLR type digital cameras with zoom lenses are not allowed but digital cameras with intergal zoom lens are....I think they will ignore the fact that many digital cameras can take small amounts of video....at Cleveland, I saw many SLR type digital cameras with lenses that totaled a foot long and yes, I took pics of the people using them half standing in their seats, blocking my view during events. I wonder if there is a way to turn off the clicking noise so I dont have to listen to 300 clicks in my ear as I try and listen to the music of a skate while dodging a camera lens the size of a bazooka swinging around my face?

The draconian rules about re-entry are clearly designed to force patrons to buy all their food and water from the areana...one wonders if the water fountains will be turned off and if there will be pay toilets....I assume one will not need a breathing permit to use the air but I dont want to give them any ideas.

As an aside, at the Reno National Air Races, they tried the "no water allowed" rule and there was such an uproar as well as the possibility of major lawsuits by people getting sick and fainting cause they couldnt wait in the long lines to buy three dollar bottled water that they changed the rule so now you can bring in two small sealed bottles of water a person.

gsrossano

Final Flight
Some fans have asked what "Banners may not be returned once hung" means.

According to the event director "may not be returned" means WILL NOT be returned.

See the original link for slightly more detail than this comment.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was at the US Nationals in LA in 2002. It was not a wholly pleasant experience. They were very restrictive about everything, particularly water and food and toys and about people who wanted to sit in empty seats during Junior events.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
good to know, Doris.

remember the rinks that host these events also have a say in how things go...

I'd bet, though, that SLRs will be allowed with the right focal length lens... at least, I would hope so!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Doris, I have heard other fans through the years echo your comments about the Staples Center....can't wait to see the "Seat Police" in action. At Cleveland on Monday during the Novice women's event, we were told by the security forces and then the head of security (and not politely) that all our tickets were considered general seating (true on Monday) and they wanted us all out of our seats on the judge's side of the area and into seats on the other side of the arena. They made all this commotion during the skating and refused to put up signs, yellow tape, or make an announcement over the PA. They just went to the fans one by one and kicked them out....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think they're looking at more of a professional get up... camera phones suck...

and these rules are NOT NEW. I don't know why we're getting our panties in a bunch...

Atlanta Nats gave thorough searches but there was a special entry to concessions in the CNN bldg. where one can get the usual McDonalds, Taco Bells, Nathans, etc, plus some local short order things at reasonable prices.

Bearing in mind of the thorough searches, I found ways of placing sanwhiches and some apples or oranges at the bottom of my carryon with all sorts of skating parafanelia blocking the search. It has worked in the past. I don't drink sodas so I'll pay an exhorbitant price for a beer or wine.

Sometimes a cheery smile, and a dumb comment like Isn't this skating exciting? can work. Do not look like you are hiding something.

What the Arena's Should Forbid is allowing a video camera parked across from the judges which blocks the views of many who are in rows 1-6 on the ice.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah but the TV bigwigs are paying bigger and better bucks than you are to park that camera there ;) they get top priority ;)

and Joe's trick does work. I never did it... but that was because I had a friend who was super good at getting in the 'contraband' ;)

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Like someone else said, I doubt these will be the actual enforced rules. One thing I would say to anyone is PLEASE do not flash. They were getting REALLY annoyed with that at Nationals, and it's possible they may step things up for Worlds and actually start confiscating cameras because of it.

As for contraband, in addition to smart hiding, one idea I sometimes use is the "distraction" technique. Take something in that's visible and obvious, like half a bottle of pepsi or something. When they make you throw it out, do so. They'll feel like they did their job and probably won't proceed to dig through your bag for sandwiches or bother inspecting the telephotoness of your lens. Heh.