Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: It's Time for Caroline Zhang to Move ON

Custom Title
    I think Yuka Sato is a great choice. She's not working with Alissa full time, right?
    Yuka had beautiful basics (edges, speed, flow) and great footwork. Plus she was a good jumper. Too bad she popped that, what was it a lutz? at the Olys. Go to Yuka Sato CZ.

Custom Title
    Where does Yuka Sato live?
    Being just 15 I can't see her leaving her family to train. I think she should stay in California.

Lets see there's Frank, hey doesn't Kistie's old coach coach in California somewhere? Where does Brian Boitano live?

I hope she does not go to Arutunian, he made me very uncomfortable. There was something about him I just don't like.

It is not too late for Caroline to fix her jumps. If Alissa can fix hers in her 20's its certainly not too late for Caroline.

That Canadian girl, right - Rochette, she fixed her jumps too, didn't she relearn the Triple Lutz completely?

I don't know how bad Zhang's speed, the edging etc. were today, but I didn't think at 4CC that she is worse than your average skater. Sure, Asada, Rochette, Kostner and Kim have better speed and edging - but I don't think that Czisny has better skating skills, especially when she is nervous, lots of Russian girls also have not the best of styles. Flatt isn't better either.

And the jumps seem to be off and on, just two downgrades on the 3-3s at 4CC, already two here in the short program. But how much can you rework your jumps, when you are growing all the time? She is in a transition period, she is just 15. Lots of skaters during that time had problems, not exactly Asada and Kim, but Ando, Kostner, Arakawa... I think she just needs time to become a really steady skater, perhaps 1 or 2 years till she stopped growing and can get used to the different circumstances.

On the Ice
    If she choose to wait, she is going to become an another Mira Leung of Canada.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by bx11 View Post
    Or a Denise Biellmann of Switzerland!
    Last edited by justaskatingfan; 02-28-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bx11 View Post
    Heh? I am not saying that Zhang has to wait, of course she'll go to competitions, polish her skills, have fun, will bomb here and there and impress at other competitions. What I am saying is that people should wait for her, for her to adjust, for her to realise her potential, accept that she is just 15 and needs time to develop.

Caroline & her coach have a pretty good relationship. In Chinese culture, people don't act publicly intimate, even if they have a close relationship. Chinese parents and kids above a certain age don't generally even hug each other after not having seen each other a long time. Mingzhu Li's language tells me that she cares a lot about her student, that Caroline is a bit like her "baby", but she's always trying to not to show it, whereas Caroline seems slightly oblivious to that, or maybe just at the age where she doesn't want to seem "babied" in public.

Anyway, nothing in that coaching relationship bothers me. I'm more concerned that Caroline should find someone who can bring dramatic improvements to her basic skating skills, presentation, and jumping technique. I feel like Li's incremental approach isn't really working for her right now.

It's better for her to change coach ASAP instead of waiting until the next Olympic cycle.

Another coach she might possibly consider is John Nicks, who trained Sasha into a great skater. If Caroline can gain Sasha's presence & elegance (who's really quite close to her in style and natural ability), and retain her natural mental toughness, I think it could work out really great for her.

There are so many jump judges which will give her the cleanliness of the jumps that she needs. Given her style, the mule kick looks worse than it would on others who do not have that soft ballet-like style. As for speeding it up, I would suggest other music to force her to look more bravura yet retain her lyricism.

For the present SP, I just chalk it up as one of those unfortunate days.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Another is Yu-na Kim, who really didn't have especially high jumps, deep edges, or fast skating at 14/15. Yu-na was injured and re-injured for a few seasons in a row, but going to Brian Orser has really helped her to be a much stronger skater in the long run. Caroline could really use a coach like that! Instead, I feel like her current coaching team is just tweaking small things based on what she can already do, and they don't really have a "vision" to make her significantly better.
    I do think that Caroline might be the one who can benefit most from the coaching in Cricket Club, I heard that Yu-Na participates in other sessions which is not directly designed for single skaters, such as icedance and other classes where they focus on skating skills. But I always had an impression that Caroline and Coach Li are tight bonded like family also with Karen Kwan's management, aren't they??

BTW I don't know why you think Yu-Na didn't have high jumps or fast skating at early ages. I think Yu-Na's jumps became smaller than when she was 13. Well, Yu-Na said she's trying not to jump too high at 4cc interview with Korean media so maybe that's why.
    Anyway, here's a clip of her at 13 and I hope you can see the difference because those jumps are gigantic for a 13 year-old-girl.
    http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26V0QOr_UUQ

Tripping on the Podium
    does anyone kno what caroline's next competition is ???

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caaather View Post
    does anyone kno what caroline's next competition is ???
    Next season's Grand Prix Series... or any summer comps, but she's not going to Worlds unless something happens to the others, and I think Ashley is the first alternate... Although Caroline might be at the Team Championships, depending on selection criteria and all...

-kypma

Mingzhu Li's language tells me that she cares a lot about her student, that Caroline is a bit like her "baby", but she's always trying to not to show it, whereas Caroline seems slightly oblivious to that, or maybe just at the age where she doesn't want to seem "babied" in public..
    That alone - regardless of culture (welcome to the world / USA) - does not seem like a healthy relationship. Nor is it a good way to have a "professional" relationship IMO.
    It's better for her to change coach ASAP instead of waiting until the next Olympic cycle.

Actually, it is normal for a student to treat his/her teacher like a second mother/father in Chinese culture, especially if the teacher has brought you to glory.

Hold everything. She just got credited with 7 triiples at the jr comp and I'm changing my tune about her coaching. If you haven't seen it catch it on youtube if there is one up.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    , I would suggest other music to force her to look more bravura yet retain her lyricism.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast