Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

LeCygne

Final Flight
Very pleased that Maia & Alex pulled out a medal! US sweep in ice dance would have been awesome.

jumpjumpjump

On the Ice
So for next season, I assume H/H will compete entirely at Senior Level, and Shibutanis compete at the junior level, how about C/Z??

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Is it just me, or do Netchaeva's teams tend to make silly little nervous mistakes? The Hubbells made them last year too, and Samuelson and Bates have also had more than their fair share of the nerves getting to them.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
That was an entertaining comp.

My faves were the Hubbells, 6th, 5th and now 4th are they aged out for next year? C/Zs performance reminded me a bit of D/V from 2006.

Glad a medal went to Russians, I like R/G

oleada

Record Breaker
I love R/G, but they were a bit shaky today. Still, I'm glad that they won a medal. They are really creative and unique and less "skate by the numbers" than other teams. I hope they move on to great success on the senior level. A lot of these teams are technically talented, but R/G are both technically talented AND interesting. :rock:

She reminds me of Navka. :D

Still gutted for the Hubbells. Their program was very complex, by far the most of any of the American teams, and they have such power and flow. They were just quite off today, particularly in the lifts.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My faves were the Hubbells, 6th, 5th and now 4th are they aged out for next year?

The Hubbells have one more year of Junior eligibility, but that would be their 4th year at that level, and I would be very surprised if they stayed Junior.

They will be guaranteed at least one GP invitation next season based on their JGPF silver medal and their high placement (17th right now) on the Seasons Best list.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
The Hubbells have one more year of Junior eligibility, but that would be their 4th year at that level, and I would be very surprised if they stayed Junior.

They will be guaranteed at least one GP invitation next season based on their JGPF silver medal and their high placement (17th right now) on the Seasons Best list.

They should get 2 spots on the Senior Grand Prix circuit because of their 4th place finish at nationals along with the medals the won in Juniors

Alicja

On the Ice
Can they compete in Seniors next year?

No. Maia is too young. She turns 15 on July 20th.

They're such a joy to watch. I just hope they'll be able to fulfill all the potential and prospects they have.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm pretty sure C/Z will move up to Senior next year, at least Nationally. They have won everything in sight this year: two JGP events, the JGPF, the National Junior championship, and now Junior Worlds.

They will no doubt get two GP events next season, as they are the reigning JGPF and JW champions, are 17th (currently) on the ISU ranking list, and (currently) 13th on the Seasons Best list.

The only problem is that with the intense competition at the Senior level in an Olympic year, it will be hard for them to place top 3 skating against B/A, D/W and S/B. If they finished 4th and B/A retired after Vancouver, they might have a shot at Worlds---but that's a big if.

So they might wind up back at JW 2010 anyway. Same with the Hubbells, who have already competed at Senior Nationals.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
No. Maia is too young. She turns 15 on July 20th.

They're such a joy to watch. I just hope they'll be able to fulfill all the potential and prospects they have.

Wow, such a maturity at that age. They have the elegance, the softness and the spirituality of Asian skaters, you know. One is sad when they finish the routine, would like to see them for one hour! And actually it seems to watch Takahiko and Yu-Na skating together. :laugh: A dream! :love:
Chock and Zuerlein are more similar to Virtue and Moir to me, but I must say, not in a positive way. They still are junior in the interpretation, while Shibutanis look already senior.

icedancer18

Rinkside
They should get 2 spots on the Senior Grand Prix circuit because of their 4th place finish at nationals along with the medals the won in Juniors

This would only be based on thier international placements; not nationals. Skaters are invited in the GP circuit based on the amount of points you gain at ISU events (GPs, JGPs, JWorlds, Worlds, 4CCs, and I think Europeans). There is the exception of the home country deciding which teams of their own they want to send to their home competition (i.e. last year USFS sent Jane/Todd to Skate America based on placements at nationals and LPIDC).

Yes, Madi and Keiffer should have enough points to get invited to something, and if not, I'm sure USFS would send them to Skate America based on the national placement.

Lots of kick kick twizzle Netchaeva footwork well done.

Come on. Give credit where it is due! Those extensions are flawless and the edges are beautiful. Not to mention, Netchaeva's teams are not the only ones that do similar looking elements...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the Hubbells are through. They will fall into the ranks of potentials only. The bandwagons have started and they a do not have one. Sad. This will leave an incredible impression in years to come if they continue.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, the Hubbells are through. They will fall into the ranks of potentials only. The bandwagons have started and they a do not have one. Sad. This will leave an incredible impression in years to come if they continue.

You have been really down on the US skaters (in all disciplines) at this JW. If the Hubbells are "down", what does that say about the skaters who placed below them?

What about Ralph / Hill and Routhier / Saucke-Lacelle who were passed by two US teams who hadn't competed at 2008 JW. What does that say about those teams, and Pushkash / Kiselev and Antipova/Kudashev? And Riazanova / Guerreiro, who were beaten by the Shibutanis and had to settle for bronze? Are those teams all "down" too?

missysays

On the Ice

This is ice dance- partnerships come and go, partners outgrow one another, injuries happen, skaters lose their inspiration. Not to detract anything from the medalists but just because you succeed at the junior level doesn't mean that translates into the senior level. There is a long, long list of Junior World ice dance champions who never made it at the senior level.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Wow, such a maturity at that age. They have the elegance, the softness and the spirituality of Asian skaters, you know. One is sad when they finish the routine, would like to see them for one hour! And actually it seems to watch Takahiko and Yu-Na skating together. :laugh: A dream! :love:
Chock and Zuerlein are more similar to Virtue and Moir to me, but I must say, not in a positive way. They still are junior in the interpretation, while Shibutanis look already senior.
This was my first time watching the junior dance teams, so I had no favorites coming in. I agree with your take on the Shibutanis and C/Z. The Shibutanis were lovely, she looks tiny but their skating is not juniorish at all. I really enjoyed it and was glad they got the silver.

C/Z were very strong but for me, dull. Obviously they are strong technically, but unlike Nicky on Eurosport, who was very enthusiastic about their performance, I thought they weren't really skating to their music, just speeding through the elements and making dramatic faces instead of actual interpretation. They reminded me of a team that is not V/M, and which I will not name because this thread is about Junior Worlds ;).

The Russian team with the harem costumes, that was just... wrong. The outfits were so hideous and vulgar that I couldn't pay attention to anything they were doing. And those headband things they had looked like they were about to go exploring caves or mining or something. They need a makeover, ASAP.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
It's OT, but I can't help to notice that Madison Chock can be a serious rival for Tanith as "The most beautiful lady in Ice Dance". Wow.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Come on. Give credit where it is due! Those extensions are flawless and the edges are beautiful. Not to mention, Netchaeva's teams are not the only ones that do similar looking elements...

Yes, but at US nationals all 3 Netchaeva senior teams had essentially the same footwork. Yes, the extension is lovely, but also after watching it 3 times in an hour, the eye (not to mention mind) gets a little jaded about it.

BTW, I was typing stream of consciousness while watching Jr worlds & doing PBP at the same time, not making a considered review.