22 Alena LEONOVA RUS
23 Ivana REITMAYEROVA SVK
24 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO
25 Joshi HELGESSON SWE

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Before the complaints start anew about "Senior" Ladies in this competition, I'd like to point out a few hard cold facts:

Of the 25 ladies in the FS:

22 of the Ladies (all except Pechlaner, Kwak and Helgesson) have competed Seniors Nationally.

15 of the Ladies have competed internationally as Seniors, and 9 of these have competed at at least one ISU Senior Championship and/or GP event:

Ziegler (Golden Spin 08, Nepela 08)
Liu (4CC 09, Golden Spin 08)
Robertson (Euros 09)
Gozeva (K. Schafer 08),
Rio (Euros 09, Golden Spin 08, Merano 08, Triglav 08)
Reitmayerova (Worlds 08, Euros 09, Merano 08, Nepela 08),
Zhang (GP 07/08, 08/09, GPF 08, 4CC 09)
Leonova, (Euros 09, Coupe de Nice 08)
Hecken (Nebelhorn 08, Nepela 08)
Gedevanishvili (Oly 06, Worlds 06-08, Euros 06-09)
Lafuente (Worlds 08, Euros 08-09, Coupe de Nice 08)
Wagner (Worlds 08, 4CC 08, GP 07/08, 08/09)
Issakova (K. Schafer 08)
Hacker (4CC 08, GP 08/09)
Helgesson (Golden Spin 2008)

If all of the 16 were excluded from competing at JW because they skated Senior internationally, then you'd have lots of skaters from the DNQ list in the FS instead. Then Junior Worlds would be far more like a JGP rather than an ISU Championship event.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the schedule. Caroline, Katrina and Ashley, 19, 20, 21 how odd is that.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was the same in Ice Dance: Chock/Zuerlein, the Hubbells and the Shibutanis skated 21st-23rd, with two Russian teams in the cleanup position.

That way, the judges knew how high to score Riazanova/Guerreiro to ensure there wouldn't be a US medal sweep.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
It was the same in Ice Dance: Chock/Zuerlein, the Hubbells and the Shibutanis skated 21st-23rd, with two Russian teams in the cleanup position.

That way, the judges knew how high to score Riazanova/Guerreiro to ensure there wouldn't be a US medal sweep.

I did not follow the ice dance competition. Coincidence?.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Thanks for the schedule. Caroline, Katrina and Ashley, 19, 20, 21 how odd is that.

chuckm said:

Good for Zhang, they can adjust her PCS according to her reputation if one of the other skaters in the penultimate group had a really good skate and Zhang a not so stellar one. That skater would be most likely Bingwa Gwen, who today had five points more on technical then Zhang and somehow Zhang had exactly five points more on PCS. Gwen had massive underrotation issues in her only JGP though.

Szmiett could have a good skate, too. The rest of the group is simply weak, neither of the German girls has landed more than 3 Triples in a long program so far this season - same goes for Rio, barely three Triples at Europeans in the long and her JGPs were a disaster.

The second group is more competitive I think - Gozeva lands four different Triples (no Triple Toeloop apparently) and has already done so in one of the JGPs. Méité can land 4 different Triples as well (no Triple Flip) - but needs a major presentation overhaul, I think she is nearly painful to watch. Imai landed all five different Triples at the JGP she won, with an edge warning on the Lutz though.

And in the first group there is Ziegler (choreography by Stanick Jeanette :rock:), who had the skate of her (so far short) life at the European Youth Olympics, landing the Triple Lutz in the short program and then went on to land five clean Triples in the long program, where her only mistake was an underrotated Triple Lutz.

iceminx

On the Ice
I really want Elene to win this. If Caroline can't win and the Japanese ladies can't win...GO ELENE! Her first year as a senior was so impressive.:thumbsup:

*I'm devastated about Caroline's SP*:no: Since she was already the JW Champ anything off the podium is devastating. I'm glad Mirai pulled out so she didn't have to compete when she wasn't at her best either.:cool:

If all of the 16 were excluded from competing at JW because they skated Senior internationally, then you'd have lots of skaters from the DNQ list in the FS instead. Then Junior Worlds would be far more like a JGP rather than an ISU Championship event.
and we would have the REAL 2009 JUNIOR CHAMPION

Actually I don't mind Euros and 4CC because they are not totally international but for me anyone who skated Senior GPs (even one) should not be permitted in Juniors Worlds.

Failing this, the age for Junior should be lowered to 15.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty

Actually I don't mind Euros and 4CC because they are not totally international but for me anyone who skated Senior GPs (even one) should not be permitted in Juniors Worlds.

Failing this, the age for Junior should be lowered to 15.

I actually agree with you on this. If a skater competes in the senior GP series, or at another "big" senior event like Sr. Worlds, the Olys, 4CC or Euros, from that point on they should only be eligible for the senior WCs.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

And who would care? Eliminate the top skaters, and what you have is the best of the rest, but you'd also have to sit through a lot of awful performances.

And all those mediocre medalwinners would be off the the GP the following year and gone, never to return. Pretty soon you'd be having a Junior WC with novice-level skaters.

And who would care?

The skaters and their families, plus fans who wanted to check out the up and comers.

This "competition" is a farce.

Maybe Sasha should come back and try to get a medal.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Just saw a post in FSU.

According to Ice Skating International's coverage:
http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/current/content/2009 jr worlds.htm

10. 47.64 (24.68+23.96 -1.0) Caroline Zhang, who won this title two years ago and was second last year, was in tears after her performance. "I’m sick. I have flu. I have no energy," she explained said Zhang. Her spins and spirals had beautiful positions but her lack of strength showed in her jumps. Even the double Axel looked labored.

I really wish that she had withdrawn, if she has the flu!!

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice

Wow, even the draw seems to be made-up... :biggrin: I love you, ISU! I'm scared for LA.

Trewyn

Medalist
Just saw a post in FSU.

According to Ice Skating International's coverage:
http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/current/content/2009 jr worlds.htm

Thanks for posting that! It was interesting! Weird that Ashley had a wobble on her spirals, her spiral had been improving so much! Just like on IN it sounds like she isn't happy to be there (I completely get that) but she did sound like she wanted to give it her best. It also said she arrived late and didn't skate on the main rink; but on IN she's on the Tuesday backstage pictures on the ice, was that a different rink? Plus, it wouldn't be very sensible to arrive very late, because the jet-lag from America to Europe is really bad!

It's started... Anyone watching?

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The skaters and their families, plus fans who wanted to check out the up and comers.

This "competition" is a farce.

Maybe Sasha should come back and try to get a medal.

It may be a farce to some, but not to the skaters, I can assure you. Come on, who is to blame for the age-based Junior-Senior system? The skaters? We all know it is the ISU.

That being the case... all the competitors in this competition sure as hell don;t think this event is a farce. Get Real. Where are the comments about what is going on, on the ice right now!

:rolleye:

Trewyn

Medalist
I have a question about the time schedule: it's so specific, down to the second; is it strictly enforced (can such a thing be strictly enforce, taking in account unforeseen circumstances)?