Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sasha Cohen's big gamble

I'm not one for "comebacks" as I think they generally do not work however, given the state of the US ladies now, I'm not all that "against" this idea. IF Cohen is really committed to skating for herself and not for others, that change in mindset and theoretically, the maturity that comes with it, just may be what she needs to finally achieve all that she wanted too.

I really like Alyssa and frankly, I thinks her skating is worthy of a world/olympic medal provided she can stand up but, part of winning those events is consistency and she just doesn't have it. I wish she did.

I like Ashley like I liked Sarah. She's the girl next door and that's appealing. I also like that she has a figure (i.e she's not a baby ballerina) and looks more like a women - esp. since this is "ladies" figure skating. But she too has been somewhat inconsistent. However, that comeback at nationals was something.

Of the other baby ballerina's Rachel is the only one who shows much consistency but she has so much to improve upon. I do however, like her costumes for whatever that's worth.

Can Cohen do it, who knows. It's an uphill battle but it has always seemed to me that her issues were psychological. If she has indeed matured, found a joy in skating and skates for herself and not for others, she might make it. We'll see though.

Down With It
    I really like Alyssa and frankly, I thinks her skating is worthy of a world/olympic medal provided she can stand up but, part of winning those events is consistency and she just doesn't have it. I wish she did.
    I don't think it's consistency so much as it's being able to handle the nerves and pressure of a major event. Even an inconsistent skater who peaks at the right time reaps the rewards (think Arakawa at 04 Worlds, '06 Olys).

Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
    I like Ashley like I liked Sarah. She's the girl next door and that's appealing. I also like that she has a figure (i.e she's not a baby ballerina) and looks more like a women - esp. since this is "ladies" figure skating. But she too has been somewhat inconsistent. However, that comeback at nationals was something.
    Oh, man, you must have never seen Ashley in person! She's TINY in person - not exothermic skeletal make up at all like Sarah was...

Really? Huh. Well, she doesn't look like a baby ballerina on the ice. Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
    Really? Huh. Well, she doesn't look like a baby ballerina on the ice. Interesting...
    It begs the question what does everyone mean when they say "baby ballerina". To me it's more of a style of skating than anything to do with specific body types. I would use "baby ballerina" interchangeably with "pwetty ice pwincess".

In that respect i wouldn't classify Wagner as a "baby ballerina".

Ant

I was hoping someone would explain what "exothermic" means as applied to figure skaters. Doesn't that have something to do with snakes and lizards?

Well, exothermic describes a reaction that releases energy (contrast is the endothermic reaction).

Ectothermic describes animals who have a changing internal body temperature, adapting to the enviromental temperature (e.g. frogs, lizards, crabs). It's also called poikilothermic. In contrast to that mammals are homeothermic (also called endothermic). There are also inbetweens, gigantothermic animals for example. It's quite a fascinating subject.

^ Ah. So the question is whether Ashley is a gigantothermic or a petitothermic skater?

Custom Title
    Believe it or not, Ashley is about the same height as Caroline Zhang. They are both about 5'3'---slightly taller than Kwan and Cohen, who are 5'2".

I mean that she's not built like Tonya, Sarah and Emily AT ALL in body structure. She's just as small as Alissa or Kimmie or Caroline or Mirai in terms of body build, although incredibly strong looking (not breakable). Yes, her style is as more of a power skater than a ballerina style, but build wise, no.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Yes, her style is as more of a power skater than a ballerina style, but build wise, no.
    Would she be more liken to Irina Slutskaya??

The bottom line here is:

Sasha Cohen
    Mao Asada
    YuNa Kim
    Joannie Rochette
    Carolina Kostner
    Sara Meier
    Alena Leonova
    Rachael Flatt (?)
    Caroline Zhang (?)

it's not about you're so happy to see her skate again

It's not about your personal favorite for whatever reasons.

It's about competition for the gold medal in 2009 Olys.

HOW WOULD YOU PLACE THESE LADIES?

Banned
    At this point, theoretically:

Yun-a
    Mao
    Joannie
    Sasha
    the rest you listed (ordering gets more and more questionable the further down you go)

And you didn't list others, notably asians which might top Sasha at the moment. Sasha is a giant unknown right now. Fans like me can realistically hope she will come back, but even she doesn't know how it would turn out. Any speculation is just that, speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The bottom line here is:

Sasha Cohen
    Mao Asada
    YuNa Kim
    Joannie Rochette
    Carolina Kostner
    Sara Meier
    Alena Leonova
    Rachael Flatt (?)
    Caroline Zhang (?)

it's not about you're so happy to see her skate again

It's not about your personal favorite for whatever reasons.

It's about competition for the gold medal in 2009 Olys.

HOW WOULD YOU PLACE THESE LADIES?
    If all of the ladies from your list makes the Olympic team. I would place them:

1.YuNa
    2. Mao
    3. Joannie
    4.Carolina K.
    5. Rachael
    6. Caroline
    7. Sasha
    8. Sarah
    9. Alena

I put Sasha 7th because she has not competed in 3 years so I think she is at a disadvantage. She not only has to compete with the international ladies but the ladies in her own backyard.

Banned
    Only way I'd ever give Rachael and Caroline odds against Sasha would be if Sasha showed up in poor form. She's too much of a perfectionist for that to happen. Either she'll be in good form, or she will injure herself while training to get into good form, and withdraw. The longer she waits, the more concerned I get that that is what will happen (ala Michelle '06)

Carolina .. maybe. She'd have to have a good day though.
    Last edited by Particle Man; 03-10-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast