Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sasha Cohen's big gamble

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ Ah. So the question is whether Ashley is a gigantothermic or a petitothermic skater?
    I love your "excuse me!?!"'s Mathman. :chorus::chorus::chorus:

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The bottom line here is:

Sasha Cohen
    Mao Asada
    YuNa Kim
    Joannie Rochette
    Carolina Kostner
    Sara Meier
    Alena Leonova
    Rachael Flatt (?)
    Caroline Zhang (?)

it's not about you're so happy to see her skate again

It's not about your personal favorite for whatever reasons.

It's about competition for the gold medal in 2009 Olys.

HOW WOULD YOU PLACE THESE LADIES?
    You can't. Not with Cohen's name up there, at least.

But take her off, and still, you can only go by current season's SBs. The rest of the ladies will be competing in LA, am I right?

edit: except for Zhang, of course

Down With It
    Speculation-wise, it's probably Kim-Asada-Rochette-Kostner-Flatt-Meier-Lenova. If you include Zhang, stick her between Rochette and Kostner

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Speculation-wise, it's probably Kim-Asada-Rochette-Kostner-Flatt-Meier-Lenova. If you include Zhang, stick her between Rochette and Kostner
    I was replying to the thread: S.Cohen's big gamble.

I listed the top contenders for the 2010 Olys. They were listed in no particular order. Just by continents except for Joannie who is in the very very shorter list of top contenders.

Basically, if Cohen skates the Olys by getting past the 2010 Nats, it will be a big gamble considering the eight ladies listed for gold which Cohen faces in Vancouver.

This is not a prediction thread. I should have made the question (which I do now) Is there a chance she can win over the 8 listed?

Custom Title
    I doubt she can beat Mao or YuNa if they are close to top form. A mistake or two will still keep them ahead, even if Sasha can skate clean.

MO, if Joannie skates lights out, and Sasha has a mistake or two, I really hope Joannie would be put ahead of her, but you never know what the judges will do.

Carolina is far more inconsistent than Sasha on her worse day, but if she goes clean, I'm sure the judges will give her the scores needed to win Gold, anywhere.

I think if all are clean in the SP, Sasha can find herself behind Mao, YuNa and Carolina with their 3-3's (they'll get scores in the upper 60's/low 70's), but probably right in the mix, along with Joannie (both with mid 60's). Then it really will be anyone's game in the LP.

I believe Sasha will beat the other 4 listed no problems. Actually, I believe if Sasha returns to 2006 form, she'll be right in the mix for Bronze, and at the very least, a top 6 finish.

It will be interesting if Flatt/Caroline/Ashley continue to improve and rotates their 3/3 in both SP and LP, as well as 7 clean, ratified triples at Nationals, to see what the judges will do if Sasha shows up a bit rusty and has a fall and other little mistakes. After all, the reporters already seem to be labeling her as America's ONLY hope for a medal at 2010 Olympics.
    Last edited by MKFSfan; 03-11-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    This is not a prediction thread. I should have made the question (which I do now) Is there a chance she can win over the 8 listed?
    I don't think anyone could possibly say given that no one (except Cohen and Nicks) knows how close to competitve shape she is in. Not knowing what shape she is in now precludes anyone making any value judgment about the shape she might be in in 11 months time.

There's too many unknowns (including if any of those top 8 you listed will be healthy and injury free). Whether, regardless of shape she's in, Cohen would place high enough at nationals to make the Olympic team. That in turn depends quite heavily on the number of spots the US gets to the Olympics, which won't be known for couple of weeks yet.

At the moment there is a chance that Cohen might come back. If she does, she says it isn't because she's missing the gold, but rather because she misses the competition and wants to compete again at the Olympics. If that is the case then she won't be worrying about who she could beat or who could beat her, just about her own skating.

Ant

Custom Title
    While perusing the reviews of SOI, IIRC, Cohen fell on a 3S last week in one of her programs. She has a LONG way to go to be ready to compete again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    While perusing the reviews of SOI, IIRC, Cohen fell on a 3S last week in one of her programs. She has a LONG way to go to be ready to compete again.
    Skaters fall on jumps all the time - one fall on one jump in a performance means absolutely nothing.

Ant

Custom Title
    I doubt falling on one simple jump is enough to cast her off, but there have been multiple reviews that she is having a hard time landing her jumps cleanly. Then again, she also had to do 8 shows in 10 days, which I imagine is pretty grueling.

Still the thread is labled Sasha Cohen's big gamble

For me, I see her squeezing into a place at US Nats (I believe she still has to do that), I do not see a 3rd skater for the Olys after this coming Worlds. If she does make the Olys we must consider:

Her motive for doing this is to win the olys. No?
    Will she lose face, if she doesn't win (or even place)?

Given the 2 above statements, I say it is quite a gamble if she gets to Olys.

Banned
    Good point. If she manages to come back out of nowhere after a 3-year absence, take "someone else's" Olympic spot and then do poorly at the Olympics, she would definitely lose respect. Look at all the people rabidly arguing "oh my GOD!! 3 spots matter SO MUCH just because of the girls' OLYMPIC EXPERIENCE!!" Definitely not a viewpoint I share (what the heck good are Kimmie or Emily's "Olympic experience" now???) but it seems the majority opinion on the forums.

I know some people who are rabid fans of both Sasha and Caroline. If Sasha "steals Caroline's Olympic experience" their heads might explode from the paradox...

Custom Title
    It has been a long time since I checked on Golden Skate forums. To be exact, it was after the Olympic/06. I was in shock and awe to see that Sasha was still the main topic of conservation and with the most threads and hits. What has happened since then? Where are all those little U.S. jumping beans? What happened to Kimmie? Wasn't Sasha supposed to be all washed up and written off by everyone? It seems that she is the best skater that the U.S. has to send to the next Olympics. Well, Well, Well!!!! who would have thought!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
    ...the girls' OLYMPIC EXPERIENCE!!" Definitely not a viewpoint I share (what the heck good are Kimmie or Emily's "Olympic experience" now???) but it seems the majority opinion on the forums.
    I don't know if it is the majority opinion, but it is certainly mine. Of what earthly good are the Olympic games except for the thrill that competing in the Olympics brings to the participants?

What could it possibly mean to me whether, just to pick a name, Robin Cousins won an Olympic gold medal or not?

If we want to know, "what good are Kimmie's and Emily's Olympic memories?" -- we must ask them.

Custom Title
    If Sasha goes to Vancouver and gets nothing out of it besides the thrill of competing, I'm sure people will start screaming "wuzrobbed" on behalf of the girl whose place on the team was "stolen."

Custom Title
    Wouldn't rule out the possibility that this is all a calculated mechanism to draw media attention... both to herself, the show, and to the sport. Either way, if she does indeed go forward and is viable in the fall, it will be interesting also to see what wildcard "spots" (if any) she is granted by USFS for some international competition experience. While ISU points go back 3 years, with the 3rd year back given less emphasis than the most recent 2, I don't believe she would be in position to be granted anything more than a wildcard spot at the host country event - Skate America - which is in the coming season NOT the first event. If she interested in the journey, as much as the destination/prize/goal/whatever, then I will be interested in seeing what paths along that journey she is able to take.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast