Thread: The Original Dance Medalists???

The Original Dance Medalists???

OK, I must be seeing things or I need some help with the scoring and protocol. On icenetwork, under Photos at Junior Worlds, there is a section called "Thursday Backstage at the Junior Worlds." There is a pic there called, "The Original Dance Medalists" and there are the Hubbells with silver medals around their necks, just as the caption says. And, I believe if you count the points, after the CD and OD they ARE in second place. So why are medals given out for placement before the FD?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    OK, I must be seeing things or I need some help with the scoring and protocol. On icenetwork, under Photos at Junior Worlds, there is a section called "Thursday Backstage at the Junior Worlds." There is a pic there called, "The Original Dance Medalists" and there are the Hubbells with silver medals around their necks, just as the caption says. And, I believe if you count the points, after the CD and OD they ARE in second place. So why are medals given out for placement before the FD?
    Those could be the small medals, given to the top three of each segment of an event. For instance, at Euros this season, Pechalat/Bourzat got a silver small medal for the FD but were off the podium overall.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 03-02-2009 at 06:49 AM.

Banned
    At worlds and junior worlds there is the lovely tradition of "small medals" which are awarded separate from the overall result. In singles and pairs it is for the short and long. For dance it seems to be for combined compulsory and OD, then for free dance. It is a source of some humor as well because the overall event medals from the ISU are not exactly "large" so the "small medals" are even smaller.

Custom Title
    Well, at least the Hubbells went home with a medal, even though it was small.

Hey thanks, guys...I learn something from you every day....I don't know how the Hubbells (or Yaroslava, and the other skaters and coaches) feel about these "small medals" but I like the Hubbells and wish them every success in the future...

Banned
    My comment was just an observation but I definitely think the small medals are WONDERFUL. In fact, I wish it were the case at other events. There have been other threads where people have talked about how tough it is in this sport with only overall medals. For instance, in the days when you had great compulsory figures competitors, who would then not do as well in the free skate segments, was a great way to reward excellence. Heck, the speed skaters have multiple distances and relays. Skiers have multiple individual medal opportunities. Even divers now have synchro.

Am very happy the Hubbells have something to bring home for their performances.

I agree with you. It has always bothered me to see athletes in certain disiplines able to compete for maybe even five medals at the Olympics, where as skaters usually only get one chance. Why not a medal for the short and the free? Combined? Team? For most artistic?

Custom Title
    I know that at Jr.worlds, they do give out medals for the short program winners but not aware about ice dance. Why not follow the gymnastics, there're so many medals on different apparatus.