Entries | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Entries

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
The 2 groups are divided according to ISU World Standings. And I'm 99.99% positive is the same panel of judges for the whole event. It would be just too unfair to do it otherwise.. The judges are gonna be exhausted though.

Yes that's right, the same judges, and I suppose that's fair.

I looked into last worlds. Hope I got it right......a lot of numbers:

WORLDS 2008

45 men participated

3 men out of 23 from the morning group made the final
19: Igor MACYPURA SVK(#21)
21: Anton KOVALEVSKI UKR(#13)
24: Abzal RAKIMGALIEV KAZ(#7)

One man out of 22 from the afternoon group did not make the final
27: Pavel KASKA CZE(#26)

53 ladies participated

2 ladies out of 26 from the morning group made the final
15: Ksenia DORONINA RUS(#20)
22: Melinda Sherilyn WANG TPE(#6)

5 ladies out of 27 from the afternoon group did not make the final
25: Jenna MCCORKELL GBR (#33) and
27: Tugba Karademir TUR (#31)
30: Sonia LAFUENTE ESP (#32)
31: Yan LIU CHN (#37)
32: Nella SIMAOVA CZE (#35)

waxel

Final Flight
Thank you snowflake- very interesting.

Makes you wonder if skipping some of those early SP's is such a bad idea?

I've never been to Worlds before so don't really know what to expect or plan for in terms of how much skating you can enjoy watching in one day. First thought is to see as much as possible- but that Wed. and Fri. schedule is daunting (14 + hours).

Thank you snowflake- very interesting.

Makes you wonder if skipping some of those early SP's is such a bad idea?

I've never been to Worlds before so don't really know what to expect or plan for in terms of how much skating you can enjoy watching in one day. First thought is to see as much as possible- but that Wed. and Fri. schedule is daunting (14 + hours).
Brace yourself, Waxel. The Worlds are not the Nationals.

Kinga

Medalist
8) The young czech team Mysliveckova/Novak was chosen instead of Hajjova/Vincour.. good call. I wonfer if the same will happen with Verner/Brezina next season...

Do you assume that it is impossible that Verner secures two entries for Czech Republic for the next season?? He was not in the top shape this year, but I would not give up on him like this...

Fashionista

On the Ice
Ilyushechkina/Maisuradze have also withdrawn due to Nodari's injury. Now Federation must make a choice of three substitutes - Krasilnikova/Bezmaternykh, Ozerova/Enbert, Sheremetyeva/Kuznetsov. O/E are more likely.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Valentina Marchei has withdrawn due to injury. There is no replacement.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Valentina Marchei has withdrawn due to injury. There is no replacement.

That is bad news about Valentina. Do you mean no replacement at all or that a replacement has not been named yet?

Kypma

Final Flight
That is bad news about Valentina. Do you mean no replacement at all or that a replacement has not been named yet?

I don't think a substitute can be named since there was no listed on the official ISU list of entries (see first post of the thread)... I think that the rules are that is any competitor withdraws, the federation can only choose a substitute from within those listed originally. Since Italy only had Carolina Kostner and Valentina Marchei listed as entries and no substitutes in line, Carolina will be alone at Worlds... I think (ie. I'm not 100% sure, but fairly certain).

-kypma

Last edited:

eleonora.d

On the Ice
there intentionally were no subsitutes:

I know she is still recovering from injury. So, if she withdraws, Carolina will be alone, which is the smartest choice considering Valentina is not in shape and the other girls are still not able to enter the top 10 (Stefania -Berton- also began training pairs and Francesca - Rio- just ended up junior worlds in 11th place, which is a good place anyway.) Yes, we have to rely on Carolina only, but we pretty much have no choice.

as we are not likely to make 13 points with 2 girls, better to hope for a Goteborg II

Last edited:

Kypma

Final Flight
wow! I just noticed that!

Is it because of the citizenship change??

Seems like it is:
Kavaguchi has been living and training in Russia since 2003 and received Russian citizenship in February 2009. Her name spelling was changed from Kawaguchi to Kavaguti.
(from her ISU biography)

Odd how her name is spelled in 3 different ways in there, though I'm fairly certian the first is a typo between the two spellings...

-kypma

Last edited:

berrycute

On the Ice
Seems like it is:
(from her ISU biography)

Off how her name is spelled in 3 different ways in there, though I'm fairly certian the first is a typo between the two spellings...

-kypma

Maybe the change is to make it easier to write/pronounce in cyrillic script?

Fashionista

On the Ice
Maybe the change is to make it easier to write/pronounce in cyrillic script?

No. Kawaguchi is quite OK for writing/pronouncing in cyrillic.
I'll try to explain how I see this name change (I'm not sure about reasons). If you translit latin Kawaguchi to cyrillic you'll get Кавагучи. Ч is ch. But in japanese Kawaguchi is pronounced as Kawaguti, so I think it was Yuko's wish to translit her name to cyrillic as Кавагути (т = t). And transliting cyrillic Кавагути to latin you'll get Kavaguti. That's it.

Medusa

Record Breaker
According to her web page, Sarah has 13 sponsors! :eek:

That's more than any American skater that I know of.
Lots of European Ladies who have some kind of success have big sponsors. Kostner and Pöykiö each have 9 sponsors / partners, among them big car companies - Kostner Lancia and Pöykiö Honda (here is a, IMO, great ad with Kostner). Korpi is sponsored by a big Finnish company for dairy products, that apparently covers the entire training costs and also by a car company, Volvo. Lepistö lists only 5 sponsors but among them very prestigious ones with Audi, Nike and Fonecta (huge Finnish phone company).

It's similar for some of the men. Lambiel had important deals towards the end of his career and still has with e.g. Ford. Verner has several sponsorships, among them two large insurance companies. But it looks like the skaters need to medal at Europeans to get good sponsorships, because all of the above medaled at Europeans.

Last edited:

Buzzz

Final Flight
Yuko Kawaguchi/Kavaguti changed her citizenship!!! :eek: For her sake I hope it all works out in the end, and maybe even result in an olympic medal. Good luck to both her and her partner. :agree: And where have I been that I just heard this news... :eek: