Skating after dental surgery / extraction | Golden Skate

Skating after dental surgery / extraction

Kypma

Final Flight
Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone could tell me how soon I could go back to skating after having had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted this morning. My next scheduled session is on Sunday morning, a good 72 hours post-extraction, however I was supposed to continue working on my Axel (on the harness only, with other exercises off it) during an added lesson, so I'm wondering whether I should cancel. I'd rather have it because I'm only getting this lesson because another skater is on vacation, and without another lesson on the harness I won't start trying my Axel on my own anytime soon... on the other hand, I'd rather not cause any dental problems as that would be worse than delaying my Axel by an indefinite amount of time!

If freestyle is best avoided, would it be considered acceptable to stick to stroking and ice dance? I'm working on the first 2 preliminary dances and on the Canadian Junior Bronze stroking, so nothing too hard or susceptible or getting my heart rate and pressure high...

Thanks,

-Kypma

jp1andonly

Rinkside
depends on how you're feeling. If you have pain..dont go. If you feel woozy or light headed...dont go. If you feel fine...go for it.

kandidy

Final Flight
4 wisdom teeth extraction in one visit is quite extensive and painful. I suggest that patient should avoid heavy exertion 72 hours at least to avoid complications.:cool:(bone inflammation or the stitches displaces from the wound site)

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I had one taken out over winter break and didn't leave the house for a week. Literally. I didn't get dressed either. This may have had to do with my inability to keep down vicodin, or something, but within 72 hrs I still could barely open my mouth. So basically it's up to you. If you feel well enough to skate, all power to you.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Equally I had one wisdom tooth extracted in hospital and felt like crap for a week. Never entered my head to go skating and i cancelled my lesson in advance.

I do have a friend who had two or three of hers out in the dentists chair and she was fine within about 72 hours.

I think you might be pushing it and you'll find when you have it done you probably won't feel like going.

Ant

Clarice

Rinkside
I actually went to a USFS sponsored adult weekend the day after I had my wisdom teeth extracted. Didn't seem to affect my skating, but I couldn't open my mouth far enough to eat solid food. I didn't even give a thought to how the pain meds might affect me - just kept popping the pills and skating. All was well, but it might not have been the brightest thing I've ever done.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I had one oy my upper wisdom teeth extracted and it wasn't too bad; a few months later the dentist extracted a lower one and it hurt pretty badly, but only for a couple of days. Get plenty of ice cream to get you through the first day, after all, how often are you told that ice cream is what you should be eating? And don't wait for it to really hurt before taking a painkiller, there's no point in torturing yourself.

I'd say the best thing is to consult with your dentist to see if there are reasons besides the possible pain not to skate. If there aren't, just see how you feel a day or two after the procedure and decide based on that.

Kypma

Final Flight
I think I'd ask the dr. before I'd ask us on here ;)

Oops, forgot to mention that I did, and he essentially told me to see how I felt, so I was wondering whether anyone had skated this soon after extraction, to learn from others' experiences :)

So far today (24 hours post-surgery) I'm fine, so I'll probably call this afternoon just to be sure there are no medical objections and by Sunday I'm hoping I'll still be fine (right now, I don't see why not...)...

-Kypma

vlaurend

Final Flight
Oops, forgot to mention that I did, and he essentially told me to see how I felt, so I was wondering whether anyone had skated this soon after extraction, to learn from others' experiences :)

So far today (24 hours post-surgery) I'm fine, so I'll probably call this afternoon just to be sure there are no medical objections and by Sunday I'm hoping I'll still be fine (right now, I don't see why not...)...

-Kypma

I would say no to any axels on your own, but if you're *only* doing them on the harness, at least your coach will be there to catch you if you're a bit off. ;) Smart idea to just check first with your dentist/doctor, though.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Only go if you are feeling almost normal. If you feel like going I would tell your coach that you just want to work on basics. Work on stroking, edges, turns...we could al use some of that. I would not do any spins because if you are on medication you could get dizzy quickly.