Matthews / gislason split | Golden Skate

Matthews / gislason split

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After almost two years of angst and drama, Leif Gislason has announced that he is retiring from figure skating, and Morgan is actively seeking a new partner.

lmarie086

Medalist
Well that didn't take long! You know, they might not have been a favorite of mine at Nationals but they still had potential I thought.

Well I hope he enjoys himself in whatever direction life takes him and I hope Morgan finds the right partner for herself. It must be frustrating for her.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
how many partners has this girl has already? She will never reach her potential if her partners keep leaving.

Sinclare

Rinkside
I saw Morgan and Max at a show at Chelsea, they were incredible. They did habve one nasty fall but overall they were great. She is very talented. I hope the best, break ups are hard. :sheesh:

Tammi

On the Ice
The season isn't even over yet and already teams are breaking up. This must be a record!!
Not really. For many teams the season was over after Nationals. I know for ice dancing, since the end of January, ten teams that competed there have broken up. A few pairs teams have broken up as well, but I don't have an exact number. I want to say that it's been at least 5 teams that I've seen on the partner search website. (And that's just for the US. Canada has seen their fair share as well)

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
What?! They already split? Ugh :frown: I really enjoyed them. I hope Morgan finds a partner and gets a chance to excel. I wish Leif the best of luck in whatever he decides to do.

Tammi

On the Ice
Morgan & Leif were actually together for about 2 years, even though we saw very little of them. According to an article I saw on Ice Network, they didn't compete because they were trying to get citizenship for a country they could both represent internationally. When that fell through, they made the decision to try and qualify for US Nationals.

I watched an MTV documentary called Ice Queens and recognized Leif as the choreographer for two of the single skaters they were highlighting. Maybe he's decided to be on the other side of the boards now.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
if the rumor is correct and Morgan was tryig out with Nick Traxler, then does it mean that he also spit with his partner? He is such an amazing dancer.

Tammi

On the Ice
Yes. Nick Traxler's partner Charlotte has retired from competitive skating. That was announced recently on USFS. Nick is 6'1, so as a potential partner for Morgan, he has the height.

According to an article I saw on Ice Network, they didn't compete because they were trying to get citizenship for a country they could both represent internationally.
Do you mean Canada (Leif) or the U.S. (Morgan), or were they sending out feelers to places like Uzbekistan?

Tammi

On the Ice
The article said they looked into representing Canada, but USFS would not release Morgan to Canada. Then they looked into Azerbaijan citizenship, which I guess would not require a release authorization. It sounds like they would have had to spend X amount of time training in Azerbaijan though to meet their residency requirements.

pennyfromheaven

On the Ice
I hope Morgan can find a serious partner as she seems so motivated to do well and work hard. Good luck to her.

lcd

Match Penalty
A very dramatic skater with lines and movements that just FORCE you to look. Will be challenging I would limagine to find a partner who could either meet up to her dynamism, or present without being too much "in the background"

I happen to enjoy Mathews approach to Skate Dancing. She is a very unique Follow. The closest lady I would say in that category is Maddison Hubbell.