Chat with Sasha Cohen NOW (at USA Today) | Golden Skate

Chat with Sasha Cohen NOW (at USA Today)

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
Tee-hee!

Tucker, GA: Sasha, first let me compliment you on your style and presence on the ice. I thoroughly enjoy the fire and spirit you bring to the Ladies events. Lately there has been much discussion on the internet skating boards as to whether or not you ever run through your entire program in practices, would you be willing to silence the debate and tell us more about that issue? Reese

Sasha Cohen: Actually, I do lots of run-throughs. I do about four run-throughs a week right now.

Hmmm...seems like someone's been checking out our thread, lol.

Those are some tough questions they let in! I'm surprised.

Lucy25

Final Flight
I, too, am a bit surprised at some of the questions. They just aren't the super positive and gushy like some of the chats I've read. I am almost expecting a question about her lutz entry and how she feels it will effect her score under the COP!

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
She answered my question!!

Teri, NJ: Hi Sasha! I understand that you're using Swan Lake for your long program this year. Were you concerned about skating to a popular and well-known piece of music?

Sasha Cohen: I actually was. It was Tatiana's idea. When she gave me the music to listen to, it was the most unusual pieces from Swan Lake, and they were absolutely gorgeous. I thought this is going to make an amazing program, and it has.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Hey, that's pretty neat! Great question. I am glad to hear that she is at least using some of the not so popular selcetions.

lavender

Record Breaker
I figured she was using something different since she said that it was. I still can't wait to see AP and Sasha's programs.

kemy

Rinkside
Lucy25 said:
I, too, am a bit surprised at some of the questions. They just aren't the super positive and gushy like some of the chats I've read. I am almost expecting a question about her lutz entry and how she feels it will effect her score under the COP!

I did...my question was not answered :\

kemy

Rinkside
Washington DC: Sasha, in the NYT article you were quoted : "I think my style is unique because I'm a musical person," and "When the music goes on, I feel it inside. It tells me what to do. I think with a lot of skaters, their program is choreographed and chiseled. That's why I choose music I can feel." What do you mean by choreographed and chiseled?

Sasha Cohen: With every single program that's out there, there's 100s of hours of work that goes into it. Myself included, when you pick a music, you're kind of like a diamond in the rough, and you have to work and work at that program until it becomes comfortable and you shine through. It doesn't come easy -- thousands of hours on and off the ice to get what you see on TV.

Hmmm...I don't think her explanation made a lot of sense...

was she saying that other skaters don't work at it? In her NYT comment, she makes it seem like "choreographed and chiseled" is everyone else...not her...so maybe SHE doesn't work at it?

But she just said she does...oye

Last edited:

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
Don't take it personally...my question was not printed in the chat either! Otherwise it was a great one. Thanks for the link! :D

kemy

Rinkside
peachstatesk8er said:
I'm curious as to how you got "everyone else...not her" from the above statement in her interview. :confused: A lot does not = everyone else.

"I think my style is unique because I'm a musical person," and "When the music goes on, I feel it inside. It tells me what to do. I think with a lot of skaters, their program is choreographed and chiseled. That's why I choose music I can feel."

She goes into her statement saying she's unique because of such and such. Would she say she was unique AND include herself in a statement she makes about a lot of skaters?

And her statement after the whole chiseled thing makes me think that she doesn't want her program presentation to be like that. She wants the music itself to guide her movements...not her choreography...That's how I read it.

I remember seeing a movie with Danny Kaye and someone else...I think...He was singing about choreography vs. dance. I think it was "Holiday Inn" with Bing Crosby...(not sure)...He sings about the subtle differences (in a comical way) since I think this was the beatnik era and he was making fun of it. Sasha's statement kinda reminded me of that...

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Chat with Sasha Cohen

Windspirit-

Thanks for telling us about the chat with Sasha! Although I missed it, I'm happy to just know about it!:)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Sasha handled herself quite well. It's also interesting that she's keeping "Malaguena". I didn't know that. That was a fantastic short and I feel she never really performed it to its fullest potential. Also, that was a nice quote about Michelle and her work ethic. Good for Sasha! She was polite and honest...and didn't make any declarations or make any excuses. I hope to see this continue. This is the type of attitude that can help her ascend to the top of the podium. Well, in my opinion anyway!

ITA, Bronzeisgolden. And Verbalgirl, how totally cool your question was chosen! And a great question it was. Interesting answer. Can't wait to hear what Tarasova chose as unusual sections of "Swan Lake." As I say on the "Tchaikovsky" thread on Le Cafe, I saw "Swan Lake" on NYC cable last Thursday and even though I've seen it a million times, I listened especially closely to the music just because of the AP/Sasha LP thing. I was surprised at how much interesting and beautiful music is in "SL," especially Act III that you would never know was from "Swan Lake." Now I hope Tarasova picked the sections *I* thought were unusual;)

Speaking of programs, with all the focus on the LP, I forgot about the short, lol. I was a little disappointed that Sasha said she couldn't find music that was better than "Malaguena" (Sasha, Sasha, Sasha...), not that it's not beautiful. Actually, I think Sasha may have fudged this answer a little. I think it was probably Tarasova's decision to keep "Malaguena" so they could concentrate on Sasha's new LP. Sasha has generally been very strong in the SP. Even with a fall on the footwork, she still got a standing ovation for it at Skate Canada. The LP is where she's had problems. I think it's a good strategy, if that is the case. BTW, I'm not calling Sasha a liar; I don't think any athlete gives away everything. And maybe she really did love the music so much she wanted to keep it. Whatever the case, I hope she can really skate the heck out of it this season. I do love the choreography and it does suit Sasha's natural style, IMO.

As for her answer about music, it made sense to me. I felt Sasha was saying that in her opinion, a lot of other skaters skate the choreography exactly as created whether they are ahead or behind the music. I think all she was saying is that it's very important to her to skate to the choreography to the music, not have the choreography and the music happen to be going on at the same time and try to make sure they finish at the same time. Michelle has talked about the importance of feeling the music many times. Probably better for skating fans who don't like Sasha if she doesn't compare herself to other skaters, only because it's an easy way for people to say, "Who does she think she is?!" OTOH, it's probably best for Sasha to be Sasha.

BTW, Kemy, I know that Danny Kaye number "You're Doin' Choreography" (is it from "White Christmas?" I can't remember) and you're right, it is hilarious.

Glad to hear she's taking a correspondence course through Kent State. Good for her.

In general I thought the selection of questions represented a good variety--some technical, some training, some on music, some general skating, some personal, a couple of fun ones. Great job by USA TODAY and Sasha.
Rgirl

Last edited:

kemy

Rinkside
Rgirl said:
BTW, Kemy, I know that Danny Kaye number "You're Doin' Choreography" (is it from "White Christmas?" I can't remember) and you're right, it is hilarious.

RGirl, It's good to know someone else watches the classic movie musicals like me. :)

I can't ever remember which movie it is since both movies use the song "White Christmas."

4dogknight

Final Flight
kemy / Rgirl:
The 'Choreography' number is from the 1954 White Christmas film, starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen.
A little piece of trivia from imdb.com: "The original idea was to reunite Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby, as they had been successful in Holiday Inn (1942). Astaire refused, as he had "retired" at the time, so the part was reworked for Donald O'Connor. O'Connor pulled out, and the part was reworked for Danny Kaye."

The 1942 film Holiday Inn starred Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire and Majorie Reynolds. The classic "White Christmas" is first sung by Bing Crosby in this film.

4dk

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Sasha's Chat

This was a great chat session. I am looking forward to see what Sasha does this season.

While I am a little disappointed that we won't see a new SP from Sasha, I think it was a good competitive decision. First and foremost, it's a strong program which she performs well. Also, if you look at last season, Sasha tended to make random errors in different places in her programs. Staying with a familiar piece helps reinforce "muscle memory." Hopefully it will lead to greater consistency?

It seems like she is aware of she did well last season (her SP) as well as some of the problems (frontloading). Hopefully the extra off-ice training that she is doing will give her the endurance to perform a more balanced program. It's also positive to hear that she is doing some full runthroughs.

I agree with everyone that it will be very interesting to compare Ann Patrice's version of Swan Lake with Sasha's. Will we have a "Battle of the Swan Lakes" just like we had the "Battle of the Carmens" in 1988? Though I think Michelle benefits from this the most because her program will stand out by default. Or maybe she will skate to Swan Lake, too! :laugh:

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm not surprised about the short being reused. I don't know about the reason but she's done it before so it's no surprise.

isk82

On the Ice
I really, really wish Sasha would do more than four complete run throughs of her program a week. Though I'm happy with how confident she sounds and also very mature comments about Michelle. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good season.