Official program sold at Worlds | Golden Skate

Official program sold at Worlds

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have never been to a Worlds before. How complete will the official program be as far as information about each skater? Will it be like the Nationals Program, with the coaches, Music, Club, etc?

lcd

Match Penalty
Haven't been to a Worlds since DC (2003), but from I recall from that event as well as prior Worlds and ISU events, they usually sell 2 items. One is the usual program - with the local gov't officials saying 'welcome' and all that stuff, plus advertisements and then the cursory list of skaters, pictures. There is usually another item which is far more informative - sometimes (or in the past) referred to as the "Media Guide". This is usually a bit harder to find, bigger (?half inch square binder from some of my old ones), and more expensive (~$20? vs. $10 for a program). This DOES has more detailed information about music, coaches etc. I WILL say though, that it seems a lot of the information is actually available online at the ISU site through links. If you go to ISU, and pick an event or the world rankings list, and click on the skaters' names, they come up with this DOS looking (well, not that bad...) grid with most if not exactly the information that they put in the media guide, on each skater. I think this is where they pull the information from anyway, and the skaters usually provide the info once (more?) per year anyway, so .... your call... can be handy to have all the details in print... or if there are specific skaters you are looking for info on, check out the data online first. Just a thought.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey, thanks! I always buy the USFSA national media guide but I would love one for the Worlds. I did do what you suggested for SkateAmerica, and made my own "media guide"
but for the Worlds it would be very laboreous. Thanks for your input. Now all I have to do is find out where the practice schedules are posted.....
Worlds Newbie

lcd

Match Penalty
A couple tricks there too. Practices usually do require an "all event" ticket, which usually or sometimes includes access to official practices. Practices occur both at the arena (earlier in the week, when there aren't official events) and later in the week at both an outside rink and the arena. For practice schedules, this is actually usually available at the information booths for the arena - there are usually print ups of scores and results. Ask for a practice schedule. Sometimes they even have the practice schedule - including who is in what group - at these booths. Alternatively, if you are staying at or are able to go past one of the official event hotels, there are usually bulletin boards in the lobby with all of the practice schedules printed up and posted.

Sometimes for ISU events, if you go to the link for the event, there is a downloadable "bulletin" for the event, which includes information on which are the official hotels. Also, sometimes, there are more links - under event results/schedule - which has the practice schedule there as well.

Bottom line - plenty of ways to watch practices, which can include inside the arena especially early in the week. I love practices as you can watch the interaction of skaters with coaches, and even watch the "games of chicken" that take place, usually based on "pecking order" when two skaters are going after the same patch of ice. Ooooh!! :rock::p;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey Icd, I did order an all event ticket...a month ago....I hope I eventually get it! Looks like I am not the only one who got caught in the "great lost ticket" caper....
It is kinda nice to have all the practice schedules before I go to an event so I can plan ahead.
I will check the ISU site before I leave. Yes, I am staying at an official hotel next to the "Offical Event Hotel" so it will be easy to check there, If we are let in without ID. The offical event hotel was off limits to mere mortals at Cleveland, although I suppose I could have ignored the signs and just looked important ;) I too love the practices...

skyblue710

Rinkside
Preliminary Practices Schedule

I heard that the official practice schedule would be announced on the week of March 16th on www.isuworlds2009.com.

Here is the Preliminary Schedule:

Sunday, 03/22/2009
STAPLES Center
6:00am to 11:30pm
Morning: Dance
Afternoon: Men
Evening: Pairs

Monday, 03/23/2009
STAPLES Center
6:00am to 11:30pm
Morning: Men
Morning: Dance
Afternoon: Pairs
Evening: Ladies

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Usually for practices, it's open seating, so ... best chance to sit in those $$$$Hollywood priced (ridiculously) front row type seats if that's of interest.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I find I like to sit about four rows behind the coaches of the skaters I like during practice. That way, I can often say a quick hello to the ones I know (skaters and coaches) . Something that is very easy to do at sectionals but is harder to do at competitions at arenas.

The ticket prices are relative. Look what you would pay for a two hour "Stars on Ice" show and look at what you pay for 90 hours plus of skating at a major event like nationals with 250 skaters. I just wish the pricing was more tiered. Why should there be 300 bucks difference between rows 5 and 6????

lcd

Match Penalty
Agreed. My comment about "Hollywood" prices stems from the discussion I had with one of the ticket agents for the event a few months (and several hundred points higher with the Dow). When I asked about why the very front rows were priced so high, she said something to the effect - "Oh... this is where we'll expect the Hollywood celebrities and elite will want to sit, and can afford to do so... like at a Laker's game"

Uh.... if Jack Nicholson shows up ... I'll eat my ...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Icd, that is soooooo funny! All the skating celebs sit 10 rows back and hide.....but this being near Hollywood, I suppose I could have all sorts of Hollywood celebs sit next to me....I am praying for Kate Winslet....anyone want Brittany Spears?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
There is usually another item which is far more informative - sometimes (or in the past) referred to as the "Media Guide".
I WILL say though, that it seems a lot of the information is actually available online at the ISU site through links.
Yes, I believe the media guide info usually comes straight from the ISU bios (most should be updated prior to Worlds) -- the individual links can be accessed within the Worlds entry lists by discipline: http://www.isufs.org/events/fsevent00011012

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey Sylvia, I have never seen an ISU media guide. Do you think they will be on sale at the Worlds? I sure enjoy my USFSA media guides. It is nice to have the pics right there with the info and all the records in the back are good for remembering past skaters and events. Now who was the skater who gave his wedding ring to his lover???? Ahhhh....NOW I remember... ;)