Chock Full of Gold | Golden Skate

Chock Full of Gold

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Madison Chock and Greg Zuerlein made a clean sweep of the major junior titles this season, both in the United States and internationally, hauling in gold at every event in which they competed. [More]

Um...is her costume "appropriate for an athletic contest," as required by ISU rules?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
why wouldn't it be? Tanith has had 'skimpy-er' ones than that.

Vincero

Rinkside
Well, Madison Hubbell had an even more revealing outfit in a picture from JGP Mexico. The top is basically just a really rather revealing bra top and the outfit was navel-baring.

Question: Does the "appropriate for atheletic competition rule" only apply to singles and pairs? Because nobody every seems to call out ice dancers on costumes being too revealing or too excessive. And they seem to use illusion fabric more sparingly than the skaters in the other disciplines. So...are there any rules for ice dance costuming?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You should see most of the costumes for the Paso or Latin dances. More than half the girls have costumes that simulate ripped dresses with underwear showing through.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Ouch. The problem with this one is not, that it is too revealing, but simply tasteless and ugly.

The one in the article is not too bad though, the colours compliment her complexion. It is too low-cut, which is not a problem of morals or decency to me - but in this case it just reveals too much skin at once. A necklace would have done wonders. Or the dress could just have ended a bit higher. The headband is way too huge, it is just too much contrast, too much going on - she has a lovely face with contrasting colours, this huge headband overwhelms her face. But other than that I quite like the costume.

Oh I was about to write a complimentary post on C/Z, but I think the thread is more about revealing costumes. No? :yes:

Oh I was about to write a complimentary post on C/Z, but I think the thread is more about revealing costumes. No? :yes:

:laugh: I guess I took the discusion in a frivolous direction. Please comment on the skating. :)

Last edited:

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I liked Chock/Zuerlein from the first time I saw them skate. To me, Madison has quite a maturity about her, I was surprised that she was only 16. I think Greg does a wonderful job presenting her on the ice, I really enjoyed their Phantom program. Phantom is definitely old school now but they made it fresh for me again.

Sounds like they are planning to go Senior next season? I think they will do well, but it's pretty crowded right now in US Senior Dance.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Simon @ British Eurosport could not gush enough about Madison, calling her a major Star in Ice Dancing. Remarked about how he watched mainly her during their Jr. World FD... saying he was in love with Brunettes. :rofl: The man was smitten!!!

I must admit - I was too! Her Hawaiian - Chinese - Spanish - Portugese and French mixed heritage has graced her with stunning beauty to go with her fantastic athletic and artistic skills! :bow:

npa

Match Penalty
Simon @ British Eurosport could not gush enough about Madison, calling her a major Star in Ice Dancing. Remarked about how he watched mainly her during their Jr. World FD... saying he was in love with Brunettes. :rofl: The man was smitten!!!

I must admit - I was too! Her Hawaiian - Chinese - Spanish - Portugese and French mixed heritage has graced her with stunning beauty to go with her fantastic athletic and artistic skills! :bow:

I think it could be greatest team - Chock-Charlie White or Chock - Scott Moir :rock:

MissCleo

On the Ice
This team isn't on my favorites list this year, but everytime I see Madison, I always think of Tyra Banks on "America's Next Top Model" waving her index finger and saying " That girl is fierce!" Madison certainly has that star quality.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Um...is her costume "appropriate for an athletic contest," as required by ISU rules?

I don't see anything wrong with her OD dance dress, but that exhibition is not in good taste. I guess she was trying to copy Tanith and Be's Love/sex dance...which somehow never looked sexy....just embarassing.

icedancexpert

Rinkside
Congratulations to them on their successful season. They did very well for themselves. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

However, I see a pattern/major problem...I saw their FD from last year (West Side Story) and immediately thought of Tanith and Ben. Then I saw their FD this year (Phantom) and immediately thought Drobiazko and Vanagas (almost identical cuts not to mention that the elements seem placed in the same order). Both Tanith and Ben and the Lithuanians worked with Shpilband on these programs and it just seems there is a lack of originality/effort in the choreography and a dullness to their skating--once you look past her low cut dress:rofl:. They seem to be copying what others have done in the past rather than developing their own style.

Nothing about their skating makes me say, "WOW." And I'm sure others must agree with me because all people seem to be able to talk about is her good looks and the appropriateness of her costumes.

To me, they are generic (almost boring). I watched the JW performances online and to me, there was absolutely no way they were 10 points better than the rest of the field. In fact, I thought their CD/OD and FD scoring was inflated in the PCS.

I guess C/Z were just the "CHOSEN" team this year by the judges. Perhaps the Hubbell's year away from the JGP (due to his injury) damaged their reputation in some way--I still enjoy and admire their skating. Ralph/Hill still have some improvements to make before they reach that elite category. R/G's programs were very "juniorish" and the Shibutani's programs (while magnificent - some of the highest quality skating I have seen this year in Junior or Senior) were probably held down by the judges based on their youth and this being their first year on the JGP circuit. C/Z were the highest remaining ranked team (at the JGPF convincingly beating R/G) going into this year anyway.

Vincero

Rinkside
Not to make this thread a serious one, but just some off topic comments:

I think C/Z have been deserving champions in all the events they have entered this year, but only not by that margin.

I agree that their programs have been relatively dull though. I think they'd have better programs next year though, now that they should be the priority for Shpilband. I admit that I haven't been absolutely enamoured by them this year although I liked them very much. Maybe this will change if they get better programs next year.

And also, I checked out Drobiazko/Vanagas program after so many people mentioned it in reference to C/Zs. I must say that it was a great program too.

Now, anyway, back to the main topic, clothing :laugh::

That Exhibition costume really is unfortunate. Somehow I think it's even worse than Tanith's. Maybe it's because of her age? I think she actually looks the best in her relatively un-revealing costumes, like her FD costumes this year and last year.

And she should tie her hair up when she skates. It like Tanith - they both look really pretty when they let their hair down, but it's distracting.

rosee

On the Ice
Shpilband and Zoueva also choreograph all of the couple's dances. "We go over a lot of music choices with Igor," Chock noted.
You know, that part always makes me lol...skaters listen to hundreads CDs and still manage to end up with Carmen, Tosca, Dark eyes...

swizzletwizzle

On the Ice
That Exhibition costume really is unfortunate. Somehow I think it's even worse than Tanith's. Maybe it's because of her age? I think she actually looks the best in her relatively un-revealing costumes, like her FD costumes this year and last year.

I've always thought that people look better when their wearing more modest apparel. In ice dance, there could be so many gorgeous, flowing dresses, and yet some girls wear revealing, skin-tight costumes. I especially wish Madison would wear her flowing dresses more often.