Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chock Full of Gold

On the Ice
    Congratulations to them on their successful season. They did very well for themselves.

However, I see a pattern/major problem...I saw their FD from last year (West Side Story) and immediately thought of Tanith and Ben. Then I saw their FD this year (Phantom) and immediately thought Drobiazko and Vanagas (almost identical cuts not to mention that the elements seem placed in the same order). Both Tanith and Ben and the Lithuanians worked with Shpilband on these programs and it just seems there is a lack of originality/effort in the choreography and a dullness to their skating--once you look past her low cut dress. They seem to be copying what others have done in the past rather than developing their own style.

Nothing about their skating makes me say, "WOW." And I'm sure others must agree with me because all people seem to be able to talk about is her good looks and the appropriateness of her costumes.

To me, they are generic (almost boring). I watched the JW performances online and to me, there was absolutely no way they were 10 points better than the rest of the field. In fact, I thought their CD/OD and FD scoring was inflated in the PCS.

I guess C/Z were just the "CHOSEN" team this year by the judges. Perhaps the Hubbell's year away from the JGP (due to his injury) damaged their reputation in some way--I still enjoy and admire their skating. Ralph/Hill still have some improvements to make before they reach that elite category. R/G's programs were very "juniorish" and the Shibutani's programs (while magnificent - some of the highest quality skating I have seen this year in Junior or Senior) were probably held down by the judges based on their youth and this being their first year on the JGP circuit. C/Z were the highest remaining ranked team (at the JGPF convincingly beating R/G) going into this year anyway.

Tripping on the Podium
    Not to make this thread a serious one, but just some off topic comments:

I think C/Z have been deserving champions in all the events they have entered this year, but only not by that margin.

I agree that their programs have been relatively dull though. I think they'd have better programs next year though, now that they should be the priority for Shpilband. I admit that I haven't been absolutely enamoured by them this year although I liked them very much. Maybe this will change if they get better programs next year.

And also, I checked out Drobiazko/Vanagas program after so many people mentioned it in reference to C/Zs. I must say that it was a great program too.

Now, anyway, back to the main topic, clothing :

That Exhibition costume really is unfortunate. Somehow I think it's even worse than Tanith's. Maybe it's because of her age? I think she actually looks the best in her relatively un-revealing costumes, like her FD costumes this year and last year.

And she should tie her hair up when she skates. It like Tanith - they both look really pretty when they let their hair down, but it's distracting.

Shpilband and Zoueva also choreograph all of the couple's dances. "We go over a lot of music choices with Igor," Chock noted.
    You know, that part always makes me lol...skaters listen to hundreads CDs and still manage to end up with Carmen, Tosca, Dark eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by rosee View Post
    You know, that part always makes me lol...skaters listen to hundreads CDs and still manage to end up with Carmen, Tosca, Dark eyes...

I also heard a lot of Spartacus this past season. We should add it to the list of war horses.

In Love with Ice Dance! swizzletwizzle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincero View Post
    That Exhibition costume really is unfortunate. Somehow I think it's even worse than Tanith's. Maybe it's because of her age? I think she actually looks the best in her relatively un-revealing costumes, like her FD costumes this year and last year.
    I've always thought that people look better when their wearing more modest apparel. In ice dance, there could be so many gorgeous, flowing dresses, and yet some girls wear revealing, skin-tight costumes. I especially wish Madison would wear her flowing dresses more often.

I've just noticed something! Madison's OD dress is actually Lauren Senft's old dress

I know it's an useless comment but I wanted to say it

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rosee View Post
    I've just noticed something! Madison's OD dress is actually Lauren Senft's old dress

I know it's an useless comment but I wanted to say it
    Haha! That's interesting....are they from the same club? Madison's costume isn't that bad, but my mother would never let me be caught in such a low-cut design.

The exhibition no. is just trashy. I don't think the boots help either.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Haha! That's interesting....are they from the same club? Madison's costume isn't that bad, but my mother would never let me be caught in such a low-cut design.

The exhibition no. is just trashy. I don't think the boots help either.
    I'm pretty sure Lauren Senft and Augie Hill were coached by Zueva/Shpilband as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzletwizzle View Post
    I've always thought that people look better when their wearing more modest apparel. In ice dance, there could be so many gorgeous, flowing dresses, and yet some girls wear revealing, skin-tight costumes. I especially wish Madison would wear her flowing dresses more often.
    To be honest, Madison's dress is pretty modest compared to a lot of other skaters. Not a huge fan of that exhibition outfit, but her OD dress is beautiful!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, for one thing Tanith is 24. This child is 16.
    16 is the age of consent in many countries around the world (in a few it is less than 16). If she wants to show off her curves, good for her, as long as it's within the rules of the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    I'm pretty sure Lauren Senft and Augie Hill were coached by Zueva/Shpilband as well.
    Yes, if you look a the other pictures in the album, you can see one of S&H with Marina

Custom Title
    icedanceexpert, I agree with everything you've said.

On the Ice
    Thank you oleada,
    I was just stating my opinion...
    ...and based on the direction this thread has taken, it would seem (to me) that we are certainly not the only ones who are "unimpressed" by C/Z's skating.

Are we finished with the Dress Code???

Having not seen them until Junior GPs and having read all about their inability to form a rapport with each other, I watched them in a prefixed mind. They have more than enough rapport for a Junior Dance Team, and their Spillband skating is in line with all his top teams.

Personally, I see Chock as the dominant member of the team now. Very determined to win GOLD!! However, I do see him as a young man with enough interest in Ice Dance to start taking control in one or two years. In fact, I see them surpassing D/W after the Olys. Mark me.

On the Ice
    hmmm...interesting. I find their "rapport" forced. They do all the arms and they try to make their faces show that they feel their music but after I finish watching them skate, I don't feel anything.
    By the way, I just checked their ISU profile and he is already 20 (he looks younger). They are a solid team but I don't think they have the chemistry or the appeal (as a team) that it takes to be a great team.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast