Page 3 of 174 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010!

Custom Title
    I would rather see Plushenko anyday than see Lysacek if you think that Plushenko is a jumping bean. On the contrary, besides his abilities of jupming, I think Plushenko has real passion and he could express it very well if he wants to. In fact, in the early years, Plushenko was seen as an all around - athletic and artistic - skater, and was better than jumping bean Alexei Yagudin. That was why that Mishin paid more attention to Plushenko than to Alexei, and caused Alexei's disappointment. And finally, Alexei moved to Tatiana Tarasova.

.... apples and oranges... both are equally good for you, both are fruit... not everyone likes both, though some do and some like neither...

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    .... apples and oranges... both are equally good for you, both are fruit... not everyone likes both, though some do and some like neither...
    This saying should be mandatory at the begiining of each thread. lol
    Mind if I use it?

Custom Title
    I loved Plushenko’s Tribute to Nijinsky a lot. I thought it was very emotional and his each pose of his movements were beautiful to watch.

I think he is one of the beautiful skaters who cares for small details, including fingers. His performances were very passionate and full of well-balanced energy. He didn’t have busy choreography with noisy movements and I’ve never thought he is just a jumper. His spins ( IMO ) were unique and powerful , not so speedy but I thought beautiful to watch. There were no mechanical movements in his moves.

He won all the major titles, and achieved his goals until the end. His record is incredible. Keep on winning is not so easy, I really respect his mind toughness. I was impressed with his quote something like “There was no choice, I need to compete to eat. “ when he was starting out.

Now, for the future competition, I wonder whether he has hungry mind or not. He already got everything.

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    This saying should be mandatory at the begiining of each thread. lol
    Mind if I use it?
    be my guest!

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar
    The way I look at it, we don't live his life, we don't know his mind, it's his life, and he should be allowed to do what he wants with it. If he wants to compete, who are we to tell him no?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    aaa, my favorite kind of plushy thread!
    Nijinsky rocked!
    some of "old" current skaters were not so newcomers, they were competing together since 2002. And nothing bad happened to any skater that came back for Olympics even if he/she didn't win back! History is written!
    Dick Button here comes Plushy!

Come back plushy, we missed you

goodmorning

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Plushenko was seen as an all around - athletic and artistic - skater, and was better than jumping bean Alexei Yagudin. That was why that Mishin paid more attention to Plushenko than to Alexei, and caused Alexei's disappointment. And finally, Alexei moved to Tatiana Tarasova.
    Very funny! Thanks!:chorus::
    How awfully Plushenko`s artistry has been spoilt by Mishin since then (mean 1998), thank God that Yagudin left him on time!
    Last edited by elanna; 03-10-2009 at 06:20 AM.

Custom Title
    The poster who referred to Plushenko "in his early years" is right, but that was then and this is now. Mind set plays a big part in achievement. Will be interesting to see if his mind is set where it needs to be to be competitive again after being away.

Refresh my memory. Didn't Alexi win the Olympic gold over Plushenko after the coaching switch? Between those two, my preference was/is Yagudin. Today, I'd rather watch Evan than Evgeni any day.

Love the apples/oranges comparison. Different strokes for different folks - that's why we love this sport - there's a style for everyone.
    Last edited by merrybari; 03-10-2009 at 06:26 AM.

I don't mind a Plushy comeback. I'm not a fan but he is very talented and he has his own style, which like it or not is good for variety. My one concern would be that he's be getting marks more or less for showing up and jumping, without any thought to the rest.

Re new guys/old guys, there are a few who have been skating since the start of the decade (Joubert, Verner, KvdP) but most of the current lot have either never competed vs. Plush or only did so for a couple of years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
    He'd be 27 for the Olympics, pretty old but still possible. Fumie is 28 right now...
    Not that old. If Kevin van den Perren (who is older), can put down a jumping clinic after a hip surgery, certainly Evgheni will be able to do it as well. If you browse some videos of his recent shows, he didn't lose his lightness in his jumping and probably with little preparation he is able to do most of them.

So he could return anytime and pull together a 7-8 triple program. The big question is , would he be able to adjust to the new COP requirements, which are much more demanding than in 2006, crossovers around the rink and some average spins with his armflaiiling generic footwork won't be enough for the big reward and I don't think he is interested in anything but gold.

Custom Title
    I just hope, corrupt judging and ridiculously inflated Component points will not come back with him.
    Are we honoured to get him back?? Don't include me, please.
    He got points in the high 8s and some 9s and he was not even able to execute a decent sit-spin....
    Last edited by bigdeal; 03-10-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    So he could return anytime and pull together a 7-8 triple program. The big question is , would he be able to adjust to the new COP requirements, which are much more demanding than in 2006, crossovers around the rink and some average spins with his armflaiiling generic footwork won't be enough for the big reward and I don't think he is interested in anything but gold.
    Don't forget he has those STOPS AND POSES which will give him the PC scores that no one else can get.

Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Have the requirement for levels in footwork changed that much since 2006? I thought his arm flailing, head-banging rushed footowrk sequences were all in order to get the highest levels under "use of body movement" bullet. The only thing I can think of that's come in since then is the specification of loops as difficult turns.

Ant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fumie_fumie View Post
    I would rather see Sandhu come back. I would take Sandhu's drama, makeup, the ghost in his hotel rooms, beautiful-but-inconsistent 4t and bum-sticking-out-to-the-audience spins over Plushenko at any day.

Page 3 of 174 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast