Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010! | Page 58 | Golden Skate

Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Vous allez retrouver face à vous de vieilles connaissances comme Takahashi qui revient de blessure après une saison blanche ou Plushenko et Lambiel qui viennent de sortir de leur retraite sportive. Quels sentiments vous inspirent ces retours à la compétition ?
« J'ai regardé Plushenko sur internet. (Ironique) Franchement, j'espère qu'il va garder ces programmes-là. Il n'y a pas vraiment de transitions et je suis sceptique sur son quad. Quand tu vois le triple déjà… Il est à l'arrêt. On doit se retrouver à Talinn aux championnats d'Europe. Franchement cela ne me fait pas peur. Lambiel ? Je n'y crois pas. Takahashi ? C'est différent parce qu'il est animé d'une autre motivation, il sera plus fort. » Et les autres ?
« Je pense que Verner sera le plus dangereux même s'il est inconstant et peu expérimenté. On sera fixé dès le Bompard. »
Free translation, I have to transfer from french to greek and then english in my head..:rolleye: So maybe I m wrong of what he said...probably it is better if i m wrong..

-You will face again your old familiars (i cannot translate connaisances) like takahashi who comes back from injury after a season, or Plushenko and Lambiel who come back from retirement. What emotions have caused (inspired) you these comebacks in competitions?
-I saw Plushenko on internet... (ironic) Honestly , I hope that he keeps these programs. He doesnt have transitions and I m sceptical about his quad. Even when you see the triple...he is static(or without speed,i m not sure how to explain it) We must meet at Tallin. Honestly this one doesnt scare me. Lambiel?I dont believe it..Takahashi It is different because he has another motivation, it will be harder.
Then he refers to Verner from the rest of skaters, he thinks he is the most dangerous even if incosistent and with not much experience..

Voilà:p

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Thank you, seniorita :thumbsup:

So... he spoke well about Daisuke, good guy!

But seriously, if I get this right, Brian is sceptical about Zhenya's chances this season, because - in his eyes - Plushenko's programs (I wonder if it's Chopin he's talking about?) lack transitions and his quad is wonky. Well, he is entitled to his opinion. Isn't Euros in Tallinn the first time their paths cross? I'm sure both will improve by January, and then we'll see whoes transitions are prettier.

As to the Brian's arrogance, yep, it's not nice. Guilty!

seniorita

Record Breaker
:rofl:true..it is like if chan would comment on weir 's quad!(no offense to both, and I love johnny)
Im curious what video DID he see by the way with standing triples, half a year's ago? In Korea plush was the only one who did a 3axel..ok about transitions in Chopin but what did he expect to see in a show?Where did he see a quad in a video when Plush has only landed one in Cup of St P.?...now, should i send him that recent one ?:biggrin:
If Brian wins Olys and Euros or whatever, maybe MAYBE he could comment on his win (not on the weaknesses of others), from his hapiness I would excuse that...
But on the other hand, same kind of comments appeared in the previous Olympic Year when Plush was coming back from injury, Plushy didnt reply, competed, became Oly Champion and still has not spoken that way about his co-athletes.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
And the strange thing is, with the exception of one time when he dissed Lambiel, he has not done this to anyone else, but Plush. That has to mean something...
I'll say, he is VERY concerned.
I'm not justifying public snarking about opponents, but maybe Joubert is concerned that there will be reputation-based judging rather than merit-based judging? At 2004 Euros, Joubert was clearly superior yet some judges still placed Plushenko first (the minority, happily). At 2004 Worlds, where Plushenko ended the LP with a splat, some judges felt it was appropriate to give him 6.0s, which I guess was a fitting farewell for the old system. At Torino, where Plushenko was the rightful winner, the marks were still way over the top.

Or, see option number 2 below:
Kind of funny though. The jumping machines face each other for the best transitions :laugh:
:rofl:true..it is like if chan would comment on weir 's quad!(no offense to both, and I love johnny)
Im curious what video DID he see by the way with standing triples, half a year's ago? In Korea plush was the only one who did a 3axel..ok about transitions in Chopin but what did he expect to see in a show?Where did he see a quad in a video when Plush has only landed one in Cup of St P
Which makes me wonder if maybe it really was a joke - what did the "ironic" mean? (let's try to find hidden meaning in French sports journalism :laugh:). Maybe Joubert was doing a Chan impression! But did Brian say he saw a quad, or that because of the triples he thought the quad would be iffy? OK, this is officially silly. I quit. :biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
So can we all decide now that Plush will be overmarked again in PCS - cause noone else ever was and certainly not Joubert - so we dont have to talk about it again???:laugh:
And inform also Brian so he wont be worried?:p

If jouby is worried about reputation marks shouldn't he be worried about his also??He has gained some reputation, hasn't he??Judges seem to love him as well, or he is afraid judges love Plushy more (it is also silly in any way I look it). He is afraid he will lose a competition due to Plushy overmarked transitions??So many competitions with Plush, when did this happen? and since Plushy got out of the way why it didn't become much easier for him to win?
Now I imagine Plush coming tomorrow in an newspaper saying Joubert?I saw him in a video from Masters..I hope he keeps his programs like they are. No real transitions and the quad shaky, actual not great triples. We should meet in Estonia. Honestly, I m not worried.
Doesnt look pretty, does it? I think i quit too. :p

Last edited:

plushyta

On the Ice
I know, each one is responsible for his words but media can show a different image..maybe there is an explanation,...

How everybody talks about Plushprograms when there are only videos that show some seconds of them... ... plushyta where do you hide them? :unsure: ...
:p :cool:

That it was Joubert's first such interview, and to think that journalists are wrong ... but it is not. I remember that after Tosca at the Olympics, he had some "objections" to the high Plushy scores ... I mean, really :sheesh:
He is always deals with others, not with itself :rolleye: .... and therefore, he never had the heart and courage as Plushy. :rock:

But, as it says: "Who caught the sword, by him and..." :p
.... from Johny Weir's "on-line site" ... in time of 2009 World's - what is "decency", by Johny ;)
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/interact.html

from Jennie
Q: ... My question is about Patrick Chan and Brian Joubert. Are you familiar with their war of words? I think Patrick pretty much said that Brian's programs are void of actual choreography so he has to have the quad. If so, who do you agree with?

A: I was at the World Championships and was made aware of their little battle in the press. Brian has always had a very direct way of voicing his opinion through the years and he has had his share of criticism for it. What struck me was that a young boy, only in his second championship wanted to throw down with one of the mainstays of the podium at the World Championships. That would have been like me attacking Yagudin in my first season on the Grand Prix. I found it a bit disrespectful. I believe everyone has a right to their opinion but show it in the correct way. I may not be one to talk about this since my mouth has run away with me from time to time, but I respect every skater who can get out there and show their heart and soul when they compete and in his way, Brian Joubert does that, as does Patrick Chan. I think mutual respect is necessary for all athletes.

Noondarkly

Rinkside
Frankly, one time I think Plushenko was overmarked was at the Olympic Games in Torino. For the LP. The SP was flawless in my opinion, he fully deserved the 90 points. The LP was kindof a joke, but I already gave my two cents on that...

Because I have witnessed Joubert speak up for the injustice of the marking system, as well as the weakness of jumps, or whatever, of certain skaters... oh wait, I forgot, it was only while mentioning Evgeni... so because I have seen him say similar things, I know exactly what he means. He belittles Plush because a) Zhenya is, despite all Brian's attempts to hide the fact, his biggest rival (for lack fo a better word) on the ice and b) he defeated Zhenya ONCE in his life, ONCE, and that when Plush fell... so basically Zhenya LOST that competition... ever since that time, the media has been saying things like "Plushenko's rival" about Joubert and those are the times when contrary to my pacifism, I tend to turn ballistic. Biggest rival Zhenya only had one, and that was Alexey Yagudin. Brian wishes he was a proper rival, but on his best days, he jumps three quads, ten triples, and fills up a program with aggressive body language that doesn't even leave room for aything else. No wonder judges mark him that high, all those quads do count for something, we're all aware of that. I admit that he jumps well. But as long as he refuses to allow his natural femininity to show in his programs, he cannot be a good figure-skater. To me, he looks like a hockey player who learnt how to jump.
If they want to pick rivals for Plush, here's a list: Takahashi, Lysacek, Lambiel, Verner, Chan, Oda, Ponsero even. Skaters who know how to jump, and what a shocker, they also know how to express themselves. The one time I saw any improvement in Brian's artistic expression was when he turned to Kurt Browning for help. THAT showed, it really did, and I was starting to warm up to Brian. It didn't last long because, frankly, he keeps dissing Zhenya like a very bad diplomat that he is, and forgiveness goes both ways. If he agreed to speak normally about Plush, we Plush-fans would stop thinking badly of him... that's one little thing we ask. No ne has to idolise Zhenya... like I said, the spark is ignited by different things for different people. I appreciate a lot of good skaters, I even appreciate worse skaters, the entire sport makes me happy. But nasty behaviour toward someone I love so much is just difficult to handle.

I hate to apologize all the time but I have to, I know I'm harsh with Brian. When he appeared, right after Candeloro retired frm amateur competitions, I was expecting a lot of him.
The new French skater. My heart was all ablaze for him, I cheered him on at the start.
He left me cold as stone, he was more boring than Urmanov.
But that would have been okay, it's just that he is not a match for Zhenya (or, in fact, 50% or more of the field) in artistry or expression. He isn't. And to top it off, he has a maliciousness about him that screams of insecurities- but comes across as just plain arrogance.

Noondarkly

Rinkside
:p :cool:

That it was Joubert's first such interview, and to think that journalists are wrong ... but it is not. I remember that after Tosca at the Olympics, he had some "objections" to the high Plushy scores ... I mean, really :sheesh:
He is always deals with others, not with itself :rolleye: .... and therefore, he never had the heart and courage as Plushy. :rock:

But, as it says: "Who caught the sword, by him and..." :p
.... from Johny Weir's "on-line site" ... in time of 2009 World's - what is "decency", by Johny ;)
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/interact.html

Gotta love Johnny. Truly madly deeply. What a great guy. Also, his style totally has me... his music, choreography, his softness. Amazing skater. If only he could pull it together and jump those jumps when needed................... but shhhh, I totally agree with Patrick. Yeah, he shouldn't have said that out loud, but someone had to say it, and let's see if Brian likes this treatment. It's just what he's been doing for years. :)

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
If they want to pick rivals for Plush, here's a list: Takahashi, Lysacek, Lambiel, Verner, Chan, Oda, Ponsero even. Skaters who know how to jump, and what a shocker, they also know how to express themselves.
1. Only one person has finished ahead of all those skaters at least once and has been on the Worlds podium for four years running. I'd say that makes him a pretty major contender, like it or not. As for knowing how to express oneself, that's a subjective perception. I don't think all the people on your list are that good at it. And Yannick, much as I love his skating, is too inconsistent to be a major rival for anyone.

2. I would hesitate to analyze the personality and motivations of any person I don't know based on media stuff; it's hard to judge context, intent and tone without knowing the person and being part of the quoted conversation.

3. This thread used to be a lot more fun. Seniorita, please make it fun again. ;)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Who called?:biggrin: It is not fun when we critisize Jouby but it is fun when we do this to Plushy?:unsure:Last week I came here and read a whole page, one after the other the mellow comments, I got dizzy, take a number please, season just begins!:p
ok, I think we got too sensitive over Mr Bamboo:yes:, actually yesterday I was a bit upset
1. cause I read that Plush makes silly interviews, is a show off, bad grammar and all tha jazz, and then Jouby talks and it is just his opinion, i dont care if plush is not an Einstein (mathman is:p), I see him by how he behaves concerning his sport. Either we give everyone the same benefit of the doubt or not. So fair enough with comments!* That said I hope I wont see a commnet from Chan coming before the Rostel. Cup:rolleye:
2.cause it was Monday, and it is the whining day, remember?:biggrin:

Plushenko himself said Joubert is his rival as well and I agree. And the more the better. Dennis Ten will be a huge surprise as well!;)

he was more boring than Urmanov
Kristina I know you are a P-fan but WHAT?:unsure: i dont know if i have mentioned it before, but the Urmy:love:, we do not touch him here:boohoo:

*and i m still looking forward to seeing Joub in TEB

I m so glad kristina joined:), the plush - forces gather!:laugh:

Last edited:

Noondarkly

Rinkside
Kristina I know you are a P-fan but WHAT?:unsure: i dont know if i have mentioned it before, but the Urmy:love:, we do not touch him here:boohoo:

*and i m still looking forward to see Joub in TEB

Sorry... :D I used to like him in 1994. Then I realized he was just BORING... he did everything perfectly, I agree. He had the jumps, he had the artistry, he was flawless. But no fire... or passion. For me, at least. :)
He was very handsome, though. *cough*

antmanb

Record Breaker
Why don't we take this opportunity to appreciate the fact that some of these skaters are breaking the "I just want to go out there and skate my best" mold?

They're being bitchy about each other which gives us something to complain about and talk about? :p

I agree that the "(ironique)" could do with being explained a little, and it might go partway to clearing Brian's name a little. In any event he has been known to mouth off in the past, funny how it's usually been about the value of the quad, which obviously wouldn't help him with reference to Plush.

In any event, one thing is certain if he's worried about reputation judging he's benefitted just as much as Plush has (2008 worlds - PCS higher than Buttles :eek:). So if anyone has cuase for concern about reputation judging it should be the rest of the field besides those two!

Frankly i'm enjoying the bitching and hope this makes them both work their butt's off to beat each other and that niether gets to phone in their competitions at any event this year.

Ant

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
You think we are Plushy bot??
gee thanx ... most here have their fav skaters and suport them in the forum, and I m challenging you to read the 1250 posts again, when did someone said Evgeni is perfect?We had pretty good conversations about all his flaws and stuff..as a skater!
It just seems you cant stand him, and trashing him for no reason, I guess it must be a Plushwinner thing..Which by the way was out of guidelines to talk about it, but insulting a member is not?

seniorita, I understand you're referring to my previous post. I'm really sorry I caused such an emotional reaction. AFAIK, 'bot' isn't considered an insulting word on this board. It's commonly used to describe devoted fans who discuss their skater's flaws and stuff in lengthy threads and are overly alert to critique directed at their favorite. So, in a sense, it was a compliment!

But if you still find my words insulting and don't accept my apology, you can always report my post. Also, if you want to continue that discussion on Plushwinner's questionable loyalty, please, go ahead and do. I don't know the guidelines that well, the mods might find it perfectly ok, and who am I to tell you what to say and what not.

antmanb

Record Breaker
what phone in means???
you explain or I take back the baklava:p

"phoning in" is basically when a performance is done in an uncommitted way, as if it doesn't really matter - the person really isn't in the performance, the best (and hopefully least controversial!) example is porbably Plush's 2006 Olympic LP - where there was very little but the jumps, and 0 performance in the programme :p

seniorita, I understand you're referring to my previous post. I'm really sorry I caused such an emotional reaction. AFAIK, 'bot' isn't considered an insulting word on this board. It's commonly used to describe devoted fans who discuss their skater's flaws and stuff in lengthy threads and are overly alert to critique directed at their favorite. So, in a sense, it was a compliment!

I disagree I think "bot" has a very negative conotation and has cropped up since the beyond rabid Mao and Yuna fans flooded the forums. They really do win the award of most senseless rabid fans. I don't think anyone in this thread has displayed that kind of fandom towards Plush, most even acknowledging areas of Plush's skating that has been lacking in the past.

Ant

seniorita

Record Breaker
I just saw Jouby and Preaubert programs at last(while working hard :eek:) and i was writing a big review here and then pc crashed...:banging: and honestly i was writing some good things about jouby's program , moziila didnt like it maybe:think:
example is porbably Plush's 2006 Olympic LP - where there was very little but the jumps, and 0 performance in the programme :p
Not now honey, it is not the right time:unsure:
:laugh: