Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010! | Page 126 | Golden Skate

Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010!

Mafke

Medalist
he came back and suddenly it all became alive with a fierce contest. Great. Except for all the hate piled on Plushenko everywhere.

Give me a break. Plusehnko is a great champion, but in the past he was gracious in defeat (which happened rarely) while this time he hasn't been gracious saying in effect the rules should be changed so he could win. People have called him on his poor sportsmanship but that's hardly hate.

For the record I'm not a Lysacek fan and wish someone else had been able win, but Lysacek has been a very gracious winner so far, refusing to return the blatant disrespect Plushenko has shown him in kind.

nastasi1212

Rinkside
Give me a break. Plusehnko is a great champion, but in the past he was gracious in defeat (which happened rarely) while this time he hasn't been gracious saying in effect the rules should be changed so he could win. People have called him on his poor sportsmanship but that's hardly hate.

For the record I'm not a Lysacek fan and wish someone else had been able win, but Lysacek has been a very gracious winner so far, refusing to return the blatant disrespect Plushenko has shown him in kind.

Plushenko was in the past gracious in defeat because in the past he was righteously defeated, but now his defeat is the outcome of a scoring system that helps mediocre skaters make their way to a medal by transforming men's field into ice dancing. For God's sake I think I am the only one in this forum that used to love the men's field because of the technical superiority over women!!

Smuusik

Rinkside
Oh yes... That's a point even people in my country, where figure skating in whole is not as popular, now bring out.
"The sport element, so to say".

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
*peeks in* I think, in time, Evgeni and his fans will be able to appreciate the accomplishment of silver. It IS an accomplishment. So many injuries, so much work to come back to the sport he'd left. For another shot. Another go around. Another silver. That, I think, is more of an accomplishment than the color of the medal. (yes I realize it seems ironic coming from me considering where my favorite placed, but I was ready to say something similar about Evan. I still remember in 2005 talking with his cousin who was there to see him skate and how a friend of mine who was already a fan of Evan's - I wasn't until after the LP - how his hip/knees were holding up and his cousin mentioned something about how doctors were telling Evan he'd need to retire after 2006 with the way things were looking. And it's been an uphill battle with those injuries).

Both men have their qualities and their faults. Both are major spokesmen for their sport in their home countries. Both are passionate about competition and their fans. Both have so many traits that are the same.

Both are getting a lot of heat from all sides. So, in a way they are very much alike. I wish more fans could see it. You don't have to like the other skater or his programs, but I think there should be a more mutual respect for what they laid down the other night and what they've always strived for over the years. It's sad to see that the media's fire is what's fuelling the fan wars (it's not surprising but it's still sad). It's not easy to see a favorite "lose". I just pray, over time, we can come together again.

Mafke

Medalist
Oh yes... That's a point even people in my country, where figure skating in whole is not as popular, now bring out.
"The sport element, so to say".

If Plushenko's jumping was so great, then why couldn't he do a flip or any late program jumps and why were so many jump landings wonky? It's not like he was a complete athletic jumping package on the night. He staked too much on a single element that wasn't up to his own standards.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Plushenko was in the past gracious in defeat because in the past he was righteously defeated, but now his defeat is the outcome of a scoring system that helps mediocre skaters make their way to a medal by transforming men's field into ice dancing. For God's sake I think I am the only one in this forum that used to love the men's field because of the technical superiority over women!!

We need to quit hitting on the dancers :laugh:

I would challenge Plushenko to demonstrate his abilities by learning the Golden Waltz and the Tango Romantica. Ice dancing isn't that easy. Dick Button, 2 time OGM winner, couldn't get all the senior dances--which is why Dick is so respectful to all the dancers. Evgeni could learn something from Dick. In fact, the first person in the US to get level 4 for a step sequence in singles was....drumroll....Charlie White as a junior singles skater, his last year skating singles.

It's a different skill set, but it is a different athletic accomplishment.

That said, I love the high flying quadsters out there and lament their loss from skating. It was good to see Plushenko and Lambiel back! :love:

seniorita

Record Breaker
probably he didnt do a flip in case he might get an edge call. that simple.

isnt there a thread about men fs??
Please this is the cozy thread, Plushenko has been talked all over the forum, i pick up a stone and the comments are there (is he mentionned in ice dance also??), can this thread stay the happy thread here?:eek:I have appointment here with schiele, medusa and k :)

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
"Where there's a will, there's a way."

That quote is a personal favorite of mine. If one truly wants something bad enough, one will make it happen by sheer force of mind & determination alone. Evgeni is testament to that. He'll find a way, never doubt him, if he wants it bad enough he *will* find a way to make it happen (lol, with a little help from Lady Luck as well, which always seems to be on his side). *wink*

Sheer anger alone will be the driving force, to show everybody that he's not done yet, don't count him out. All this hate is just fuel to keep that competitive engine running. Whatever it takes, I say, I just want him back on the ice again at Sochi, his home country. The first time Russia will host an Olympics, if I'm not mistaken. How can not the greatest male figure skater of all time be there. He will be. And I hope with a program that will blow everybody out of the water, so to speak. That's what I want, a program that does him justice, in every way possible.

Until then, I wish him well, relax & enjoy life, he deserves it.:love:

Hi, Plushenko was interviewed on TSN this afternoon about his skate and how he felt about not winning the gold. He said that he gave a gold medal performance. He said that the next Olympics, he will be 31 and he will be there. He said that he is continuing with skating and in the next competition that he will be doing 2 quads. He seems to be a really likable guy.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Hi, Plushenko was interviewed on TSN this afternoon about his skate and how he felt about not winning the gold. He said that he gave a gold medal performance. He said that the next Olympics, he will be 31 and he will be there. He said that he is continuing with skating and in the next competition that he will be doing 2 quads. He seems to be a really likable guy.

I can fully understand his wish to compete at the Russian Olympics. About giving a gold medal performance, he really should rewatch his performance, it would have been that only if other guys made a mistake or two.

Plushenko has a strong mind and will, but that is not enough. One needs the body too, and I really doubt whether his would be in a condition to allow him to compete in Sochi.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I've been thinking alot about Evgeni's place in history in this beautiful sport, and shivers have literally run up & down my spine.

He has now joined The Immortals ~ Gillis Grafstrom (1920-1932), Sonja Henie (1928-1936), Evgeni Plushenko (2002-2010) ~ all three singles skaters whom have won 3 medals at the Olympic Games.

And when he skates in Sochi, Russia, and if he medals, there will only be two, whom I will call The Titans ~ Gillis Grafstrom (1920-1932) & Evgeni Plushenko (2002-2014) ~ only two figure skaters, no matter the discipline, whom have won 4 medals at the Olympic Games. Tied 4 for 4, simply the best of all time.

Of course this will only happen at the express permission & evaluation of the Skating Gods. They've allowed him to come this far, I hope in my heart & soul that they will allow him to continue & tie Gillis Grafstrom, whom must be up there with them, smiling.

***ps: no offense, skating gods, with my signature & avatar, please, as I didn't have enough room to modify it. Thanks for understanding.*** :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
K, B, M , S are you here???
dont leave me alone , lol!
Ant and the mojitos???
This is nightmare, I want a hhhhhhhhhhhhug!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol, I understand your need, seniorita, I feel the same way about Plushyta (been thinking about her all week, where is she??????????):think:

She & I are alike, I understand her the best, and I trust her the most. If Evgeni skates in Sochi, Russia, I would honestly like to meet her, along with my niece of course. :)

It's sad that this board doesn't seem to have many Plushenko Fans, but I do know there are individual sites out there dedicated to him that are full up of his fans. The only problem, this is my one & only board that I post at, have ever posted at (except Adrian Chew's board back in 1998/99).

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
We need to quit hitting on the dancers :laugh:

I would challenge Plushenko to demonstrate his abilities by learning the Golden Waltz and the Tango Romantica.

I remember eight years(or something) back Plushenko said he wanted to go for ice dancing. Don't know if he ever did try(except for "dancing on ice") Sort of hard to find a partner, a coach and time to do a serious attemp. Or maybe he did and found it to difficult.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I want to share this cause it made my day.
My bf watched with me the other day the rebroadcast of men, when the emotions had worn off and I could be a civilized person again, and he didnt say a thing back then about who he liked or thought he should have won etc, probably to be safe and sound , lol.
Then today, last day before I left he asked me with the biggest wonder in the face : WHy Weir did not win???
I collapsed from laughing.:laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
My bf watched with me the other day the rebroadcast of men, when the emotions had worn off and I could be a civilized person again, and he didnt say a thing back then about who he liked or thought he should have won etc, probably to be safe and sound , lol.
Then today, last day before I left he asked me with the biggest wonder in the face : WHy Weir did not win???

My family was in an uproar because my mother is a die-hard Plushy fan. Of course she thought he won and was so upset when he was placed second.

My sister thought it was a step backwards for skating because Dai did not win as she saw no comparison to his skating and the others.
She also thought Johnny wuzrobbed and she typicallly loves Lambiel but said he and Chan were both overscored.

I guess I was for Evan after Jeremy crashed out in the SP and was curious to see if the other contenders could out compete him.
I don't think they did - but am sure a different panel of judges could just as easily have placed Plushy 1st.

I think the most complete skater was Dai and the comeback effort of Plushy was the most impressive especially when we think back to other skaters in the past that have tried this.

Reading the sad news yesterday about Joannie's mother made me realize I get too carried away with this stuff and some might think it is strange that Joannie is not pulling out.

I don't know much about Joannie and her family but I know almost all elite skaters never make it as far as Joannie has without tremendous support from their families. Sometimes we make jokes about "skating moms" but I think we would see a different sport without them.

When the Ladies skate I hope Joannie will do well. If she doesn't I will understand but I am sure she will be skating for her mother and I know all of Canada will be behind her and I am sure all skating fans will be behind as well.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Ahahahaha!! Too funny. I had a similar experience as Janetfan. I watched with a friend who luuuuuuurves Plushy. Actually we couldn't get together so we called each other as soon as the last flight started and stayed on the phone through Plushy. (don't laugh. it's not as fun too watch alone. ) Anyhow, we both were upset over Johnny's score and though Evan skated great. But she went ballistic that Plush lost and I went ape that Evan won. We still disagree. Ah well.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Plushyta, where art thou Plushyta!??????????!

Seriously, if you're out there, please PM me or something. I've missed seeing your posts. It feels like an effing morgue on here. *sad*

This thread is supposed to be in celebration of Mr. Evgeni Plushenko, and how he honoured us all with his presence this year, which he did so spectacularly!

Let's celebrate, people, his phenomenal accomplishment to be the only man in figure skating history to take 3.5 years off, and then come back at age 27 to WIN the silver medal at the 2010 Olympics, thereby solidifying his place in history ~ becoming an Immortal ~ joining Gillis Grafstrom & Sonje Henie in this honor.

Nobody else can claim this, not even Dick Button or Karl Schafer nor the countless other two-time Olympic Medalists.

To be a 3-time Olympic Medalist marks him as a Titan/Immortal in my book.

Just think, Evgeni suffered injury after injury, injection after injection, setback after setback, yet by his own hardwork & the grace of the Skate Gods he managed to do the impossiible.

:clap::rock:GOOOOO EVGENI!!!!:rock::clap:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Lol, I understand your need, seniorita, I feel the same way about Plushyta (been thinking about her all week, where is she??????????):think:

She & I are alike, I understand her the best, and I trust her the most. If Evgeni skates in Sochi, Russia, I would honestly like to meet her, along with my niece of course. :)

It's sad that this board doesn't seem to have many Plushenko Fans, but I do know there are individual sites out there dedicated to him that are full up of his fans. The only problem, this is my one & only board that I post at, have ever posted at (except Adrian Chew's board back in 1998/99).

Nadine, if you were lauding Yagudin's ability as the greatest Russian male skater of all time you would find many posters in agreement with you.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Well it was about time to have the comparison of who was russia's better skater. It's been 8 years, I was still in school back then, how I miss it.:rolleye:

Nadine

Record Breaker
But I'm not, merrywidow, I'm not.

As the thread title indicates, it is in celebration & honor of Mr. Evgeni Plushenko's return to the ice after a 3.5 year absence.

Lol, did you read my comment(s) about Yagudin? They are all true, and that is the way I honestly feel, as God is my witness.

This is why the world is so unique, no two people are alike, we are all different. Where you may see greatness, I see mediocrity, and so it goes.

I've noticed that Evgeni's fans are, for the majority, from Europe. Yet I am not. Also Asia, of course. There are literally quite a few fan sites out there dedicated to Evgeni, both in Russian, Japanese, et al. But I have an unwritten rule where I will NOT post at a site dedicated to such & such a skater, regardless if they are a favorite. This is why I post here. Because when it comes down to it I'm a skating fan first & foremost, not of one particular skater, I have many favorites, as evidenced by my posts throughout the years. Just wanted to make that clear.

Lol, yet that said, Evgeni is like no other of my all-time favs, he's gone & done what they have failed to do so ~ come back again & again & again ~ he has an extra special place in my heart for that. He truly is a role model.

Sincerely,

Nadine