Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010! | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010!

Oh, because plushy had a shot at his first gold if he skated clean and had the biggest ultra super meltdown of his career.

Yeah, that was a heartbreaker for Plushenko fans. Evgeny could have become the youngest men's champion ever.

Yagudin totally bombed his performance and left the door wide open for Plushenko, but then Plushy came out and did even worse. :cry: Yagudin couldn't believe he won!

This was the championship about which Yagudun later said, that's OK, no one will remmeber how bad I skated, they will just remember who won.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yagudin totally bombed his performance and left the door wide open for Plushenko, but then Plushy came out and did even worse. :cry: Yagudin couldn't believe he won!

This was the championship about which Yagudin later said, that's OK, no one will remember how bad I skated, they will just remember who won.
That's certainly true for me. I'd totally forgotten the circumstances, all I really remember from 2000 Worlds is the gala, which had some fun performances (also, I think there was a dog on the ice at some point). I didn't get to see any of the 2000-1 season having lost Eurosport for a year, so the next time I saw Yagudin skate it was at 2002 Euros, with his Winter SP which was clearly not a meltdown. 2002 Euros were excellent :cool:.

Seniorita, at least Plush got the meltdowns out of his system early in his career; the only other really awful performance I can recall from him was 2004 Euros.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
he didnt do just worse:banging:, he started improvising after he lost the quad, thankfully he has said this helped him come back in 2000-01 the way he did:)
From I Euros 2004 I choose to remember this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15UjaPyaccw, when he does not do good in combs,he is doing his program in ex, it s my fav gala :clap:
I feel sorry for Abt in euros 2002, i read an interview recently and he said his big regret is that he didnt have a gold medal. Maybe that was his opportunity (please dont shoot me, i loved yagudin)
This Plushy show is building up very well since 2006, he is casting great european skaters, i love the jazzy exhibition of stephan.:)
By the way lambiel, verner and plush need a haircut! And Marton!

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Takahashi lost the Bronze medal because of a bad rule, plain and simple. Not because he skated worse and not because the judges liked him less.

Blades, it's not a bad rule. They have to put a limit on combinations somewhere. IF they didn't than all we'd see is combinations because that would be getting you points. If there isnt' a combination rule every jumping pass would be a combination. So the limit has to be somewhere, and they made the limit 3.

The fact is this rule has been in place for years, and skaters know about it. They know that they cannot do more than 3 combinations, and if they do more than 3 combinations they will lose credit for the fourth combination....

Daisuke should know about this rule more than anyways because if it weren't for that rule, he wouldn't even be an Olympian. The rule cost Oda a National Title and the lone Olympic spot. And I could be wrong but didn't Daisuke make the same mistake at the Olympics?

And really how many skaters do we see screwing up this rule?? Not that many At Daisuke's level and at his experience it was unacceptable.....

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
]has anyone heard or better, seen what Plushenko is doing competitively?[/B] Will he skate Russian Nats? Euros? or just go head on into Olys?

Except the videos of Melissa and Denis and some that are posted here of trainings, his quads and stuff, i dont think there is anything to see yet..
If he goes only to Olympics i will kick his butt! Isnt it too early to know his competitions?
From 1-2 recent interviews (via translator, so..), he said that he just wants to participate with best he can do cause he has his olympic medal already so he is not anxious for results, but he trains for gold in Vancouver and any medal would be success for him, he misses competitions feeling, that he remembers how he felt in first Olympics, he wants to compete in RN, Euros and Olympics (the article said also Worlds but I doubt he said that), start with small competition in Finland maybe (?), and i m not sure if he said anything for CupOfRussia, maybe he said that last year :p

Yeah, that was a heartbreaker for Plushenko fans. Evgeny could have become the youngest men's champion ever.

This was the championship about which Yagudun later said, that's OK, no one will remmeber how bad I skated, they will just remember who won.
And Yagudin's remark after he won over Sasha Abt and all agreed he should not have, was that 'my name (Yagudin) will be on the list of gold medals at Euros, and that is all that matters.' or something to that effect.

More important. has anyone heard or better, seen what Plushenko is doing competitively? Will he skate Russian Nats? Euros? or just go head on into Olys?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I feel sorry for Abt in euros 2002, i read an interview recently and he said his big regret is that he didnt have a gold medal. Maybe that was his opportunity (please dont shoot me, i loved yagudin)
I thought Abt was amazing at 2002 Euros; one more reason why that year was great. I loved his SP, it was just beautiful - the music worked, the choreography was very good and it really suited his style of skating. I actually remember the SPs from that event better than the LPs.

elanna

Rinkside
Seniorita, could you tell, whether Abt mentioned somewhere in the interview his regrets that judges had placed him behind Plushenko in SP at the 2002 Olys in the most outrageous way?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Blades, it's not a bad rule. They have to put a limit on combinations somewhere. IF they didn't than all we'd see is combinations because that would be getting you points. If there isnt' a combination rule every jumping pass would be a combination. So the limit has to be somewhere, and they made the limit 3.

You don't seem to understand...of course there needs to be a limit. The problem is that the rule is written very poorly. Only the extra jump(s) should be discounted, not entire jumping passes if the first jump was an actual legal element in the program. That is the point of the rule, after all - to make it so that each skater is on equal ground in terms of the maximum number of jumps they can be scored on.

It's a blatant lie to say that a jump which should count didn't exist. So, unless you are in favor of ignoring reality, there is no reason at all to view this "rule" as legitimate.

How does a skater accidentally adding an extra double toeloop onto the end of a jump hinder the program anyway? It really doesn't. Ignore the double toeloop and move on. When this problem arises the skater usually hasn't done more than 3 combinations anyway - they simply forgot that another jump already counted as a combination pass because it was the second go at that jump.

Similarly, with the Zayak rule, they need to just downgrade a jump if it is executed more than twice, rather than discount the entire jumping pass that extra jump was connected to. If a skater plans a Quad Toe, 3Lutz-3Toe combination, and 3Flip-3Toe combination, and then only does a Triple Toe instead of a Quad, their last jumping pass will be worth nothing at all because of having executed 3 Triple Toeloops. This also makes no sense...why not just downgrade the last 3Toe to a double? Again, it hasn't hurt the program that they accidentally did a Triple instead of a Double, and to say that the 3Flip (a legal element in the program) also should count for nothing is another blatant lie, as the scoring system is basically saying the jump didn't exist.

I'm in favor of judging what the skaters actually do. I'm not in favor of saying "anyone who wears red should have to pay 10x as many taxes". That's how much sense the rule currently makes. It needs to be re-written.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Seniorita, could you tell, whether Abt mentioned somewhere in the interview his regrets that judges had placed him behind Plushenko in SP at the 2002 Olys in the most outrageous way?
The one thing to remember is that this was 6.0, which was more reputation based than what we have now (not that the problem has been fixed by any means). Abt was the no. 3 Russian, and as such his chances of placing ahead of Yagudin and Plushenko were small, barring a true meltdown by those guys. Also, at SLC, Abt didn't perform his SP as well as he did at Euros. Of the jumps, only the combination looked really good, the other jump landings were not very clean or controlled. The step sequences, however, were gorgeous. I don't care if some of it was two-footed - that's how you use upper body movement without the arm-flailing and tripping over the skates choreo. Current skaters, watch and learn.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think he was an unlucky skater, all this injuries and maybe he was born on wrong decade, what if his eligible years were now?
Elanna, the interview was here i think translated, he had said his regrets that he doesnt have a gold medal apart from nationals, he didnt refer to euros or any other competition, it was me who referred to euros 2002 because I thought this was the time he was close to a gold medal, in Salt Lake he didnt miss the Gold so I think he didnt have that competition in mind when speaking about a gold that eluded his collection.
I loved Abt, he was in my top five men:clap:(even without arm flailing:laugh:)

antmanb

Record Breaker
It's a blatant lie to say that a jump which should count didn't exist. So, unless you are in favor of ignoring reality, there is no reason at all to view this "rule" as legitimate.

Similarly, with the Zayak rule, they need to just downgrade a jump if it is executed more than twice, rather than discount the entire jumping pass that extra jump was connected to. If a skater plans a Quad Toe, 3Lutz-3Toe combination, and 3Flip-3Toe combination, and then only does a Triple Toe instead of a Quad, their last jumping pass will be worth nothing at all because of having executed 3 Triple Toeloops. This also makes no sense...why not just downgrade the last 3Toe to a double? Again, it hasn't hurt the program that they accidentally did a Triple instead of a Double, and to say that the 3Flip (a legal element in the program) also should count for nothing is another blatant lie, as the scoring system is basically saying the jump didn't exist.

It just doesn't really make sense to me that you are arguing about not "ignoring reality" and then suggesting that extra elements be called doubles of what they did. You can't have it both ways, your suggestion is much more "ignoring reality" than discrediting an entire combination for being illegal. Taking a perfectly executed triple and calling it a double just because the skater executed two of the same jump previously is much more reality dodging IMO.

Ant

elanna

Rinkside
I think he was an unlucky skater, all this injuries and maybe he was born on wrong decade, what if his eligible years were now?
Elanna, the interview was here i think translated, he had said his regrets that he doesnt have a gold medal apart from nationals, he didnt refer to euros or any other competition, it was me who referred to euros 2002 because I thought this was the time he was close to a gold medal, in Salt Lake he didnt miss the Gold so I think he didnt have that competition in mind when speaking about a gold that eluded his collection.
I loved Abt, he was in my top five men:clap:(even without arm flailing:laugh:)

I loved Abt too! But I find it rather strange of him to regret that he was ONLY silver, behind Yag, at the Europeans and not to worry absolutely that he lost to Plushenko though he knew that that was, as I said, outrageous! Maybe it is so because to win from Yag (great fighter/beautiful skater) was always a great honour? :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
I just said that Abt didnt say anything about euros or any other competition and that this was only my comment about which gold medal he could have had, so i dont know what he regrets...
Abt was friends with both Yag and Plush, I wouldnt expect him to say anything like that for any of them...At least with plush he is still close friends as far as I know.
Yag was a great skater, even plush has said multiple times that and how he missed him in competitions..it was a great honour to lose to him..lol?which athlete wants to lose?
As far as I remember Abt was fifth in Olympics, so I dont know what lost to Plushenko means, maybe i was watching another competition..

caran

Rinkside
Yag was a great skater, even plush has said multiple times that and how he missed him in competitions..it was a great honour to lose to him..lol?which athlete wants to lose?
As far as I remember Abt was fifth in Olympics, so I dont know what lost to Plushenko means, maybe i was watching another competition..

Someone see what they want to see and believe what they want to believe. they have right to believe Abt feel lost to yagudin in 02 euros is a great honour, although I wonder Abt will agree that opinion. but it's humane to break their imagination and self-complacence.

elanna

Rinkside

I meant his loss to Plushenko in the SP of course!:) And, Seniorita, about the 2000WC results in the mens, I personally think they were just great! Yag was a real Cavaradossi, wasn`t he? Just imaging: Yag-Cavaradossi was preparing himself to the death execution after terrible tortures he had only just suffered, how he could jump perfectly??!-he was DYING! And,right after that, came out somebody and started jumping merrily on the trembling feebly body!... I so loved the 2000 WC podium: Yag, Stojko Weiss! And NO Plushenko!!!:laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I meant his loss to Plushenko in the SP of course!:)
of course, of course..
And, Seniorita, about the 2000WC results in the mens, I personally think they were just great!
yes the results, they were just right and great, it was plush's total fault the meltdown, i didnt say the opposite:)
I so loved the 2000 WC podium: NO Plushenko!!!:laugh:
it is nice to have good memories, it must have been hard the years before and after 2000;)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And Yagudin's remark after he won over Sasha Abt and all agreed he should not have
I am sure that is not how Alexei wanted to win and I am sure that he thought Sasha Abt should have won but Alexei was not handing out the medals.