Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010!

skatingbc

Final Flight
I can't read french. did he actually say he was training to compete or does "being present" mean that he will do commentary or skate an exhibition?

« Je suis décidé à concourir sur le circuit la saison prochaine afin de participer aux Jeux de Vancouver », a-t-il lancé.

« J'ai déjà repris l'entraînement à fond, à raison de deux ou trois fois par jour. Je me sens très bien et je crois que je vais bientôt atteindre ma meilleure forme. »

From what I understand, this quote goes something like this...

"I have decided to compete on the circuit the season before the Vancouver Games. I've already started training, 2-3 times a day. I believe I will soon be in top form."

I think by 'saison prochaine', he means he will compete in the Grand Prix (fall)before the Games (winter), as opposed to an entire skating season (year).

Very sad for me. IMO, he never really was a figure skater in the whole concept of the sport. He executed very controlled high level jumps which at the time were sensational for fans who love high level jumps. He looked to the rafters after each successful Quad and Triple combos and waited for the tumultus applause and screeches. And he got them. Plushenko had a zillion fans and I am sure they will be there for him if he really decides to skate Vancouver.

He will be judged on the jumps alone and given generous scores for the other elements which he does not excell in. Just my prediction if he skates the Olys.

My saddness reaches out to Dai, Nobi, Taki, Evan, Jeremy, Brian, Yannik, all of whom have Quads and also the others without quads but have beautiful skating.

If he does skate, I hope he doesn't give us another boring gold performance.

Antilles

Medalist
saison prochaine simply means next season. He said he wants to come back next season and compete in the Olympics. In that statement, he doesn't specify what events/timeframe he is looking at to make his return.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Please no. Stay home Plush. Your cheesy programs with weak spins, phantom choreography and posturing are not what the sport needs. Yeah you had the jumps but that's it. Oh and there were those inflated scores. I'd take about ten or twenty other skaters, current and retired, over you.

Whoa, why is everyone so mean? ;) What is this, the "Sasha and Michelle return" thread? :laugh:

I like Plushenko. Let him come back and show these no jump wonders what's what! :yes:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I would rather see Sandhu come back. I would take Sandhu's drama, makeup, the ghost in his hotel rooms, beautiful-but-inconsistent 4t and bum-sticking-out-to-the-audience spins over Plushenko at any day.

merrybari

Final Flight
I just meant that he has competed against the "old guys" before so we have some idea about how he stacks up in comparison. Chan is a new senior and even though Abbott is older, this has been a breakthrough season for him.

Keep in mind that the current "old guys" were new-comers when last he competed against them. They have now become the seasoned, experienced competitors that HE was then. He hasn't competed against them from that perspective so we don't really know how he stacks up. They've been progressing as competitors while he's been away from the competitive arena. Makes for a whole new ball game for him v. the entire field.

Should be verrrrrry interesting. Bring it on. But once more, I repeat, I"ll believe it when I see it.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I would rather see Plushenko anyday than see Lysacek if you think that Plushenko is a jumping bean. On the contrary, besides his abilities of jupming, I think Plushenko has real passion and he could express it very well if he wants to. In fact, in the early years, Plushenko was seen as an all around - athletic and artistic - skater, and was better than jumping bean Alexei Yagudin. That was why that Mishin paid more attention to Plushenko than to Alexei, and caused Alexei's disappointment. And finally, Alexei moved to Tatiana Tarasova.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
.... apples and oranges... both are equally good for you, both are fruit... not everyone likes both, though some do and some like neither...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
.... apples and oranges... both are equally good for you, both are fruit... not everyone likes both, though some do and some like neither...

:agree:This saying should be mandatory at the begiining of each thread. lol
Mind if I use it?

dancingqueen

On the Ice
I loved Plushenko’s Tribute to Nijinsky a lot. I thought it was very emotional and his each pose of his movements were beautiful to watch.

I think he is one of the beautiful skaters who cares for small details, including fingers. His performances were very passionate and full of well-balanced energy. He didn’t have busy choreography with noisy movements and I’ve never thought he is just a jumper. His spins ( IMO ) were unique and powerful , not so speedy but I thought beautiful to watch. There were no mechanical movements in his moves.

He won all the major titles, and achieved his goals until the end. His record is incredible. Keep on winning is not so easy, I really respect his mind toughness. I was impressed with his quote something like “There was no choice, I need to compete to eat. “ when he was starting out.

Now, for the future competition, I wonder whether he has hungry mind or not. He already got everything.

anya_angie

Final Flight
The way I look at it, we don't live his life, we don't know his mind, it's his life, and he should be allowed to do what he wants with it. If he wants to compete, who are we to tell him no?

seniorita

Record Breaker
aaa, my favorite kind of plushy thread!:rolleye:
Nijinsky rocked!:bow:
some of "old" current skaters were not so newcomers, they were competing together since 2002. And nothing bad happened to any skater that came back for Olympics even if he/she didn't win back! History is written!
Dick Button here comes Plushy!:p

Come back plushy, we missed you :clap:

goodmorning:p

elanna

Rinkside
Plushenko was seen as an all around - athletic and artistic - skater, and was better than jumping bean Alexei Yagudin. That was why that Mishin paid more attention to Plushenko than to Alexei, and caused Alexei's disappointment. And finally, Alexei moved to Tatiana Tarasova.

Very funny! Thanks!:chorus::rofl::rofl::rofl::
How awfully Plushenko`s artistry has been spoilt by Mishin since then (mean 1998), thank God that Yagudin left him on time!

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
The poster who referred to Plushenko "in his early years" is right, but that was then and this is now. Mind set plays a big part in achievement. Will be interesting to see if his mind is set where it needs to be to be competitive again after being away.

Refresh my memory. Didn't Alexi win the Olympic gold over Plushenko after the coaching switch? Between those two, my preference was/is Yagudin. Today, I'd rather watch Evan than Evgeni any day.

Love the apples/oranges comparison. Different strokes for different folks - that's why we love this sport - there's a style for everyone.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I don't mind a Plushy comeback. I'm not a fan but he is very talented and he has his own style, which like it or not is good for variety. My one concern would be that he's be getting marks more or less for showing up and jumping, without any thought to the rest.

Re new guys/old guys, there are a few who have been skating since the start of the decade (Joubert, Verner, KvdP) but most of the current lot have either never competed vs. Plush or only did so for a couple of years.