Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010!

antmanb

Record Breaker
It’s just different view. ;) You have your own image of artistry and I see it differently. Some of Lambiel’s arm & hands movements were a little casual and his form was not always good to me even though it was with music except for his Delarion program he did in worlds 2006

:agree:.

I think Plushenko benefit a lot for his PCS especially in Trino Olympics but he didn’t fall on jumps so many times like some other top skaters who fell but who were still getting high PCS.

I think that's the crux of Plushcenko's success - he was consistent like no other skater we've ever seen (possibly Yags too). He could go out and land two quads, two triple axels and a bunch of other triples with ease. There was never any fear watching his programs when he went for the jumps. At the end of the day, if you nail all of the jumps you will get more points then by having your PCS boosted. That's why Plushcenko was untouchable. That's also why it was sad that he got record PCS at the Olympics - if he'd have been scored correctly he would still have won by a large margin (as he deserved to) but not that ridiculous margin by which he did win.

Ant

seniorita

Record Breaker
I was looking flail in online dictionary cause I knew what it meant approximately(I first learnt this word here:p) but just wondering...
and it gave me this : an instrument for threshing grain, consisting of a staff or handle to one end of which is attached a freely swinging stick or bar.:scratch:

now i know :laugh:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Very sad for me. IMO, he never really was a figure skater in the whole concept of the sport. He executed very controlled high level jumps which at the time were sensational for fans who love high level jumps. He looked to the rafters after each successful Quad and Triple combos and waited for the tumultus applause and screeches. And he got them. Plushenko had a zillion fans and I am sure they will be there for him if he really decides to skate Vancouver.

In my opinion Plushenko is much more! Before I saw his skating in 2000 Finlandia Trophy, I was even less a fan of his skating than that of Yagudin (I have seen him live, too), LOL. Plushenko though had great presence on the ice, charisma and power. I felt all that suddenly, although earlier I had only had negative thoughts. I think though that after Yagudin retired, Plushenko did not have really demanding rivals and that affected him, as well as it might affect anyone else, too, under same circumstances.

Last edited:

Fashionista

On the Ice
I've never liked Plushenko's style especially those programs he skated after Yagudin retired (although there were some, for example this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coDu5l-gl9Q). I agree with Jaana his rivals were so weak that he didn't have any motivation to find anything new for his skating. That's why every season we got the same program with different music from Plushenko.
But for me it was obvious that he skated in his own league even if he didn't have Lambiel's spins.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I've never liked Plushenko's style especially those programs he skated after Yagudin retired (although there were some, for example this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coDu5l-gl9Q). I agree with Jaana his rivals were so weak that he didn't have any motivation to find anything new for his skating. That's why every season we got the same program with different music from Plushenko.
But for me it was obvious that he skated in his own league even if he didn't have Lambiel's spins.

I think the other sad thing that happened to Pluschenko was the COP. Since COP came in at the same time as Yags was forced to quit we will never know for sure but to my mind the COP works much more in favour of the technically proficient skaters who can land the jumps clean. Pluschenko didn't need to worry about the PCS because he had the technical (with it's knock on effect to the PCS).

Why would he bother trying anything new? He started doing, IMO, the most difficult jumping pass a person has complete (3A/half loop/3F) and the COP effectively penalises skaters for doing sequences so it's not worth doing it.

He adds a trilpe toe to a jump because he's missed one earlier and loses the GPF on a technicality.

So what would you do if you were him? Work out what you need to put on the ice and repeat as best you can. He had no-one who could compete with him, and a system that stifled some of his own creativity. I'm not surprised the programs became artistically empty and all about business.

Ant

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
So what would you do if you were him? Work out what you need to put on the ice and repeat as best you can. He had no-one who could compete with him, and a system that stifled some of his own creativity. I'm not surprised the programs became artistically empty and all about business.

Ant

I don't like it when people read my mind Ant... it freaks me out... but I forgive you because you're so darn awesome...:rock::rock:

In my opinion Plushenko is much more! Before I saw his skating in 2000 Finlandia Trophy, I was even less a fan of his skating than that of Yagudin (I have seen him live, too), LOL. Plushenko though had great presence on the ice, charisma and power. I felt all that suddenly, although earlier I had only had negative thoughts. I think though that after Yagudin retired, Plushenko did not have really demanding rivals and that affected him, as well as it might affect anyone else, too, under same circumstances.
I agree but not with charisma. I would say, Plushenko knew how to sell it to the screeching audience.

I never liked Yagudin till the 2006 Olys. Abt and Klimkin were my boys from Russia.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Was Plushenko's long nose a factor to some of the fans' rejection to him?;) The appearence do play a part on people's feelings about a skater, sometimes, people wouldn't even be aware of it. What if his face looked like, let's say, Lambiel's? I am just wondering.:)

skatingbc

Final Flight
Was Plushenko's long nose a factor to some of the fans' rejection to him?;) The appearence do play a part on people's feelings about a skater, sometimes, people wouldn't even be aware of it. What if his face looked like, let's say, Lambiel's? I am just wondering.:)

For me anyway, appearance plays no part in my like or dislike of a skater. Sure I've never been a huge Plushenko fan, but to be honest, I've never really thought have him having an abnormally large nose until you stated he did. In terms of appearance, presentation (neat hair, tasteful makeup,nice outfit, etc.) is more important than physical beauty. IMO, anyway.

Also, I consider Tanith Belbin to be beautiful, but have never partcularly liked her skating. I know that physical beauty is golden in our society, but come on people. I understand someone being immediately judged upon their appearance. As much as it may be frowned upon, it's only natural. What I absolutely despise is when people continue to judge people based on their appearance after getting to know them, or in this case, watching them.

Just my two cents.

Now back to the main topic...I'm interested to see if Evgeni can get back to his consistent self. He was known for his consistency, but will he be able to get it back?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Was Plushenko's long nose a factor to some of the fans' rejection to him?;)
I ve heard things about plushenko from no fans, but this gets the oscar!:bow:
I ve never thought he had a disadvantaged nose but now a new horizon opens, maybe his nose helped his balance on the jumps!:laugh:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I can't truthfully say I am looking forward to his return... never was a big fan of Plushy. I always have admired Evgeni's consistancy with performing the jumps and his awesome footwork sequences. His programs looked all too mechanical, too sterile to me. Yes he had charisma and power on the ice... but the balance of his skating just left me cold, emotionally.

Personally I get more excitement watching Daisuke Takahashi. He may not have the consistancy with quads that Plushy had (no one equaled him in this regard), but Daisuke has power, speed, charisma, level 4 footwork and more emotional connection to his music in one finger than Plushy had in his whole body, IMHO!

I am definately looking forward to Takahashi's return! :clap:

Medusa

Record Breaker
It's his fine aquiline nose that allows him to skate with so much energy. All that oxygen he can breathe in! :)
^^Actually, noses like his are often associated with some inner malformation that make breathing through the nose harder. ;)

^^Actually, noses like his are often associated with some inner malformation that make breathing through the nose harder. ;)

:cool:

Off topic, but (this is true) Golden Skate once attracted a troll who signed up under the name "esoNgiB" just to make fun of skaters with big noses (one beautiful and immensely talented female skater in particular. :love: :laugh: )

Looks Do Matter
from psychological studies, workers considered good looking move faster up the ladder of success (if they have the basic qualifications).

However, for Male Figure Skaters: Two Quads are Imperative

Regardless of his nose size, or any other body size. ;)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
you sound like plush has an abnormality (i m not sure about this word) in his face or something:eek:, it doesnt look that annoying big so many years i ve been watching, I ve seen muuuch worse in fs, then I noticed his violinist has the same kind of nose, I think most eastern european men have big noses, I have no clue about rest body size :laugh:

shine

Record Breaker
Can I trade all these Sasha/Michelle/Plushenko possible come-back news for Lambiel/Savoie/Takahashi?

Jasper

Final Flight
Plushenko can stay gone, I really wouldn't mind.

Also, considering all the comeback talk from the likes of Plushenko, Cohen, Kwan, etc., I will believe only when I see it. Until then it's just talk.