Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010! | Page 40 | Golden Skate

Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
why, whats wrong with this one?:laugh:
We only need 150 more posts to make a 1,000. Probabaly one of the largest, if not the largest thread in Goldenskate. We could make history right here. :clap: :clap:

seniorita

Record Breaker
so you mean that Chopin needs something more simple and natural in style, something smooth and dont make it look difficult. This is it you meant?If it is it is a really good thought about plushy, i will think of it. I m thinking he will have not to skate like tosca but then maybe he wont skate to nocturne so i dunno.

I know dee with kill me for this but yag for me had not the natural programs you said, although being the second favorite when he was around. While on tarasova it gave me the impression that his expressions like pain, smile etc were choreographed which was the only tiny thing i minded and prevented me for enjoying him 100%, the one thing i dont feel about plushy even if he skates angry as Joe says, it doesnt seem programmed. For the record neither Jouby gives me the impression of choreographed emotions. Maybe my issue is with Tarasova, i dont know.
Patrick Chan I thought the opposite, that he makes diificult steps and make them look easy, although his style I cannot follow much...he makes me feel anxious.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know dee with kill me for this but yag for me had not the natural programs you said, although being the second favorite when he was around. While on tarasova it gave me the impression that his expressions like pain, smile etc were choreographed which was the only tiny thing i minded and prevented me for enjoying him 100%,
What!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

evangeline

Record Breaker
but yag for me had not the natural programs you said, although being the second favorite when he was around. While on tarasova it gave me the impression that his expressions like pain, smile etc were choreographed which was the only tiny thing i minded and prevented me for enjoying him 100%, the one thing i dont feel about plushy even if he skates angry as Joe says, it doesnt seem programmed. For the record neither Jouby gives me the impression of choreographed emotions. Maybe my issue is with Tarasova, i dont know.
Patrick Chan I thought the opposite, that he makes diificult steps and make them look easy, although his style I cannot follow much...he makes me feel anxious.

I actually think the opposite--for me, what I liked about Yagudin was that his genuine emotions and passion actually shone through his choreography (OK, I know that sounds cheesy), particularly when he was on. If you watch programs like his 2001 Worlds SP or his his 2002 Euros SP, I think it's hard to say that those expressions are choreographed! Also, I couldn't help being a fan of Yagudin when he actually skated one of the very few Tosca programs I've ever liked--despite all the jump bobbles he had at the 2000 Worlds, there was such a natural ease to that program and it didn't seemed over the top or forced at all...unlike 99% of the Tosca programs we see.

But then again, what do I know...I was a total Yagudin fan in the Yags-Plushy wars.

seniorita

Record Breaker
But then again, what do I know...I was a total Yagudin fan in the Yags-Plushy wars.
i was not in the rival so much cause i liked them both maybe?didnt see it as war, and i was happy with every result. Also greek commentators didnt enhance rival at all, i remember them speaking grandiose for both so they passed me that feeling through tv.So i had two fav skaters winning golds and silvers!
I was thinking about programs like broken arrow (my fav) , iron mask and gladiator when spoke about choreographed emotions, certainly not winter!
I just think plushy was most fav for me between the two cause he was younger and had a yellow head:eek:, seemed exotic at the time. Then I learnt to appreciate his skating also.:laugh:

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
i was not in the rival so much cause i liked them both maybe?didnt see it as war, and i was happy with every result. Also greek commentators didnt enhance rival at all, i remember them speaking grandiose for both so they passed me that feeling through tv.So i had two fav skaters winning golds and silvers!
I was thinking about programs like broken arrow (my fav) , iron mask and gladiator when spoke about choreographed emotions, certainly not winter!
I just think plushy was most fav for me between the two cause he was younger and had a yellow head:eek:, seemed exotic at the time. Then I learnt to appreciate his skating also.:laugh:

Well, fluff pieces like this one certainly fostered a bellicose atmosphere :)

Anyways, I definitely liked Yagudin better but I grew to appreciate Plushenko as well--I very much enjoyed his Carmen LP at the 2002 Olympics, and his St. Petersburg 3000 LP.

And janetfan--Plushenko was indeed a phenomenal jumper (I'd say Yagudin was more of a power-jumper as opposed to the effortless type) but I'd say the most effortless jumps of all belonged to Ilia Kulik, especially when he did his trademark spreadeagle into triple axel :love:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Well, fluff pieces like this one certainly fostered a bellicose atmosphere :)

Anyways, I definitely liked Yagudin better but I grew to appreciate Plushenko as well--I very much enjoyed his Carmen LP at the 2002 Olympics, and his St. Petersburg 3000 LP.

And janetfan--Plushenko was indeed a phenomenal jumper (I'd say Yagudin was more of a power-jumper as opposed to the effortless type) but I'd say the most effortless jumps of all belonged to Ilia Kulik, especially when he did his trademark spreadeagle into triple axel :love:
1. I love that fluff piece. The melancholic music, the singing. Yagudin's English with massive Russian accent, Plushenko speaking Russian. Everything in dark colours, Master Mishin oozing wisdom (Oh my god, I have not watched this since I started learning Russian, it is even better now I do not have to read the subtitles all the time!)

2. I also liked Yagudin better, but I still appreciated Plushenko a lot.

3. Kulik's jumps rocked - such a talent!

4. Thanks for teaching me a new word - bellicose - does not happen often these days that I meet an English word that I do not know.

5. Plushenko has a sexy voice

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
And though I was not a big Elvis fan, he skated with the flu and a groin injury and I think he might have won had he been healthy. Yags had the flu and fell apart in his LP.
Yeah well, Stojko was a seasoned extremely experienced skater - and Yagudin a 17-year-old boy in his second senior season.

I love Kulik's show programs from an artistic point of view a lot. Technically he was fantastic from age 16 or so, but his amateur programs do not impress me as much as his exhibitions and later his show numbers with SOI.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist

I felt the same. Sometimes, I even felt that if Plushenko did not make those mistakes in his 2002 Olympics LP, and skated steadier, he might be first in LP. Yagudin was a clear winner overall, of course.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I felt the same. Sometimes, I even felt that if Plushenko did not make those mistakes in his 2002 Olympics LP, and skated steadier, he might be first in LP.
Would that have made a difference based on his SP???

jennylovskt

Medalist
Would that have made a difference based on his SP???

No, it wouldn't affect the outcomes of the final result. Yagudin was still the gold, Plushenko was silver, and Tim was bronze. I just thought that Plushenko might be able to win the LP.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Wow I havent seen this fluff for a long time, so much drama from Nbc( and the 2006 plush profile, i love it) boys look great and plushy looks like baby there, it just hit me I grew old!:rolleye:
I like this fluff a lot, yag has sexy voice too, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGE6aMtfw9E but they included plushy's fall exactly when they say the world champion , coincidence? :sheesh: And Honda is there, it has been so long :)
And no, whatever plushy had done in 2002 it was Yag's moment. I would have given him the olympic medal just right after winter. But i liked Plushy à la Carmen very very much.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I thought the music in The Pianist would be very suitable for Plushenko. He has the capacity to make the program great!:rock:

elanna

Rinkside
I felt the same. Sometimes, I even felt that if Plushenko did not make those mistakes in his 2002 Olympics LP, and skated steadier, he might be first in LP. Yagudin was a clear winner overall, of course.

Yag was last to skate in the LP. Even if Plushenko had managed to stay clean in his 'Carmen', Yag would simply have jumped in his LP everything he had planned and, as a result, overjumped him. Plushenko had no, even infinitesimal, chance to win from Yag at those Olys, Yag was a head and shoulders stronger and better.:rock:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
how do you know if yag would outjump him and would land all his jumps?is this a contract?For what I am concern they both could have splatted and Goebel could have been the OC. Many things could. And it is not like plush fell all over the place in Carmen..he outstepped from 4-3-3 and doubled a jump. You dont even know how yag would have reacted in Lp if plush had a clean sp.
Nobody said Plush would have won the Olys if..but for me it was the difference in quality of their programs mostly and not who jumped higher, yags were better programs, especially the sp...head and shoulders above?I dunno, they had only met in GPF where plush was injured. And there,there was one judge difference that gave Yag the win.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
It is funny how differently we can all perceive things in skaters. For me, Yags was too emotional at times (I don't care for Russian Ice Dancers when they make those silly looking facial expressions). I felt that same mock look from Yags at times which is one of the reasons I preferred Plushy. I also thought Yags looked to be barely landing so many jumps at times - he did land most - but it didn't look so effortless to me. I never have seen anybody land jumps as easily as Plushy did. And he did the hardest jump layouts.
But I realize that is how I see it and others see it differently. Some like alot of facial expression from their skaters and others prefer a bit more realism in a performance. It is just a matter of taste. It is nice we can all have our favorites and enjoy the qualities they bring to their performances.
I liked Yags, and know he was great. I just like Plushenko better and think he was greater. To each his own. :)

I'm not sure i agree with the difficult jump layouts of Yags and Plush, they were the start of the tradition of open with both your quads, then get your triple axels out and round out the rest of the triples as you wish.

Now Stojko had difficult jump layouts - opening with a flip to "settle him down" as the commentators would say, then do a quad, he would often have a second quad (or second attempt if he missed the first) in the second half of the program and often had triple axel and lutz to finish the programme. Elredge also often had a second triple axel as the last or penultimate element in his programmes.

Ant

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m glad your are back alive and kicking:rock:

i bothered from the same pattern of the sequence of their jumps in their programs also, i guess it was mishin's school, I swear I could guess it after a while, but i got used to it at the end. It took away some surprise though.

Out of subject and not concerning Plush's choice, has anyone skated to fantasie of Chopin?

Last edited:

elanna

Rinkside
Didn`t you notice, Seniorita, how much higher Yag`s jumps were? He covered almost half of the rinк, doing them . Don`t you think that it is much more harder to perform such enormous, without exaggeration, jumps than to do significantly smaller ones? What to the combination 4-3-3, as far as I remember, Plushenko hugely underrotated 3Lo in it and had to step out so that not to fall down. There is a clip on YOUTUBE with Yag`s version of the combination which he did during a warmup at SLC, I`ll find it if you like. So, Plushenko`s LP: no 3Lo, no 3S, very weak footwork and spins... no choreography:)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Aa, he didnt step out from loop?nevertheless it was cool expression:cool: - I took it directly from Nbc commentary and Hamilton.
But you are right elana, plushy was awful, no loop in 4-3-3 and no steps, and this 3axel-half loop-3 flip was just to conceive his weakness and to save the day. It wouldnt have hurt either to wear the dress of katarina Witt to be more in the feeling of choreo.
Plush was defenetely not a good jumper and his jumps didnt cover much surface. I wonder what i like in this small gendleman's skate sometimes, maybe the nose and the mullet is what intimidates me.:think:
But lets not start what anyone has jumped in warm ups because it hurts me.
Yesterday it was so cold in brussels that in my living room i started jumping also quads and triple axels to warm up (in a good day I practice 5toes), unfortunately life is unfair and i was stolen my pink skates à la Caroline :frown:, thats too bad cause world will never know my talent now. :rolleye:
I think, given the chance, I would have stolen yag's and plush's thunder,and everybody would root for me so there wouldn't be attempts from their fans to light up the rival 7 years after their last competition together. voilà....:)