Page 11 of 174 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Plushenko will honour us with his presence in 2010!

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=Joesitz;379398]....since we have more or less accepted the Plushenko school of footwork....QUOTE]

I must assume that you are using the royal "we", Joe, because I have *never* accepted the Plyushchenko school of footwork. On the contrary, in years past, I have posted (elsewhere) strong criticism of the sloppiness I saw in it. Finally, he cleaned it up a lot, thank goodness, but a little late in the day for me.

Plyushchenko's specialty is jumping, with a graceful outflow. Lambiel is, I think, the generally acknowledged male leader in spins. Since Lucinda Ruh is the female leader in spins, and they are both Swiss, I am forced to wonder if it is something in the chocolate lololololol. Yagudin's feet were always the feet I loved to watch; I thought of them as "fleet feet". I used to love it, during his eligible competition days, when the camera went to his feet, and his footwork is still the footwork I love best. I think I am not alone in that.

Extraneous stuff during footwork does not interest me; it is the *feet* in footwork that matter to me. The new rules seem to award a lot of armwork during the footwork lol. That is like rewarding standing still during the jumping passes. I am not interested in seeing if someone can pat their head while rubbing their tummy simultaneously, or the figure skating movements that are comparable to that. I want to see neat, graceful, clean, elegant bladework on the ice, done with a swiftness that the skater is truly capable of executing, not sloppy bobbling and cover-ups.

I cannot claim that my opinions are humble, nor do I wish to use that expression. I can only claim that they are mine lololololol--and to be perfectly honest, I really do think that they are worth more than two cents lol. So much for message board cliches...

About Plyushchenko's return, I do not know how it will end, but I think he means to try, at this point, to represent Russia at the coming Olympics. He is also doing some touring, so that will take its toll on training time. His natural rotating/ jump-landing ability is so great, that perhaps he can overcome such disadvantages. I have already taken an interest in some of the younger Russian male skaters, so my attention is more on them, where eligible skating is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I watched one skater In Juniors (unfortunately, I didn't make note of it) where she performed her straightline footwork from one end of the arena to the opposite one, but she went from one side of the arena to the other in a ziz zag mannter to the end. I had never seen it before and thought it was quite innovated since we have more or less accepted the Plushenko school of footwork

Her feet movements covered all the bascis but with a 'waltzy' type of style. Further innovated for me. I enjoyed all that flow together with her simple ballet arms.

I'm so used to watching the down the center of the ice, with quick basics and wild going arms (seems the standard) that it's tough to singling out the best.

Really? I'm very surprised to hear that because one of my biggest complaints of COP step sequences originally was the end of the serpentine step sequence. It is so much longer than the rest and takes up so much more time that no-one used it any more.

Then the footwork features were tweaked and we basically no longer see true straightline step sequences anymore - skaters do zig-zagging or much bigger lobed "straightline" seuqences that end up being something and nothing - the lobes aren't big enough and are too plentiful to say it's a serpentine, nor is the step sequence actually straightline any more.

I think they are extremely common for skaters trying to achieve the variety of turns feature for higher level footwork.

Ant

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Funny, if plush is telling lies about his comeback, imagine his nose if he was pinokio:laugh
    You are too funny!!!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I was there with binnoculars and guess who I was watching most of the time!!!!
    plushy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Alexei didn't applaud anyone. He was there to announce his retirement the next day Sunday but he attended the Saturday evening events.
    i didnt remember it was this skate america, i take my words back, it was an emotional day, yag had the best farewell of amateurs I can remember, I hope plush does something of the same wheneeeeeeveeer he decides to say an official bye-bye, i suspect around 2018 maybe when his son will skate in juniors?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    I was there with binnoculars and guess who I was watching most of the time!!!!
    plushy?
    Great comeback. You have quite the quick wit. Thanks for making me laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita
    i didnt remember it was this skate america,
    Alexei withdrew at Skate America. He did his SP but was in too much pain for the LP and withdrew.

Alexei announced his retirement at Skate Canada.

skate canada..skate america..i m not good in geography!
    ..so he skated in 2002 skate america and withdrew due to injury and announced his retire in skate canada 2003, one year after?i m lost abit..i remember when he had skated his farewell with black outfit looking very sad and tarasova was crying, that was when?

skate canada..skate america..i m not good in geography!
    ..so he skated in 2002 skate america and withdrew due to injury and announced his retire in skate canada 2003, one year after?i m lost abit..i remember when he had skated his farewell with black outfit looking very sad and tarasova was crying, that was when?
    Seniorita, you're the best.

Here's an article that will help. This was the competition I attended. I didn't know Alexei was going to be there so that was the icing on the cake.

Skate Canada

thank you for skate canada article I liked also what plush and sandu said at the end.

interview from G/P about plush trainings http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

I would not be honored with a comeback but if he really wants to come back... it could be interesting.

Custom Title
    Well, I don't know if you can watch it out of Russia, but here's some video of Plushenko's practice
    http://www.5-tv.ru/news/18297/

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    Well, I don't know if you can watch it out of Russia, but here's some video of Plushenko's practice
    http://www.5-tv.ru/news/18297/
    Well he certainly looks like he's getting back to previous form. Not sure that any of the quad attempts were fully rotated. Triple Axel/Triple Toe looking good - plenty of time to get that as clean as it used to be.

Very sorry to see the crazy haired man who looks like a tramp advising him on choreo from the sidelines though. Looks like i'll still run screaming away from the choreography... new head grabbing...oh dear!

Ant

Custom Title
    Thanks for the video, Lucky Star!

What a sweet dream if Plushenko comes back and Joubert goes to Tarasova? I wish both of them and all skaters to stay healthy!

Banned
    Well, he is definitely getting ready at least in bad-mouthing Joubert. That comment was catty

Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I must assume that you are using the royal "we", Joe, because I have *never* accepted the Plyushchenko school of footwork. On the contrary, in years past, I have posted (elsewhere) strong criticism of the sloppiness I saw in it. Finally, he cleaned it up a lot, thank goodness, but a little late in the day for me.

Plyushchenko's specialty is jumping, with a graceful outflow.
    Extraneous stuff during footwork does not interest me; it is the *feet* in footwork that matter to me. The new rules seem to award a lot of armwork during the footwork lol. That is like rewarding standing still during the jumping passes. I am not interested in seeing if someone can pat their head while rubbing their tummy simultaneously, or the figure skating movements that are comparable to that. I want to see neat, graceful, clean, elegant bladework on the ice, done with a swiftness that the skater is truly capable of executing, not sloppy bobbling and cover-ups.
    How nice to read someone who appreciates dance in single figure skating, Dodiyel. However, not easy with those stiff blades. Few skaters can get that fleet feet you speak about, and I agree must rely on 'don't look at the feet; look at the arms' I agree Yagudin was one who could move his feet, but one has to acknowledge Kulic, Browning, and now, Brezina!.

As Norma Desmond would say, "We didn't need sound, we had our eyes." so too, great skaters can say 'we don't need flailing arms, we have our feet'.

Nothing wrong with Plush coming back. I doubt anything I see will change my opinion of his skating, and I will not be overwhelmed if he wins. He's just not star quality for me.

Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Thanks for the video, Lucky Star!

What a sweet dream if Plushenko comes back and Joubert goes to Tarasova? I wish both of them and all skaters to stay healthy!
    ITA!! My two favorite skaters - but who will I root for? What a decision!

Page 11 of 174 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 111 ... LastLast