The "Kings on Ice" project was conceived a long time ago and this is not the first time Zhenya Plushenko and Stephane Lambiel are together in this show, besides me with Oliver Haner, Stephane manager, are close friends. He was with us in Moscow, he arrived at 6:30, right for the show.
So, initially, even before Vancouver, this show was counting on Evgeni and Stephane. Regardless of how they will perform at the Olympics. It's no secret that both returned to the sport of figure skating specifically to participate in the Games.However, the title of kings of the ice had been theirs for long time. But then there was Brian Joubert who is also an outstanding athlete. And of course, Johnny Weir, for us a king - we should respect a man who so lovingly refers to Russia. I was pleased that he participated in our show.
And so we got the four of them together, and there was the idea of the show. Yes, they are very different, but they can perform together.
- It was not difficult? The four are such different characters, and each in the competition are ready to go just for the first place.
- On the contrary. Working with all of them was very nice. At the competition, because they have to compete, they are more quiet, each doing their own thing. they passed each other and they keep competitng, and here they were together and the atmosphere was friendly, and their energy was transmitted across the hall.
- How did you manage to persuade Brian Joubert? His dislike for the show is well known.
- In fact, everything was settled very easily. Zhenya walked over to Brian in another championship and said: "We're always competing, maybe it's time to perform together in a show?" And he immediately agreed: "Let's go for it". Arrangements have been made very quickly, and in general with him was easy. For a producer to have this with their athletes is a very important quality, it's very had when you have to work with stars who exalt themselves above than is necessary.
- You know, many spectators complained that each of their favorites got just one solo ...
- I can not say that they weregiven little time on the ice. First they participate in the opening, then in the finale, their solo and there is a group number, where they played all four together. I am very glad how that turned out. That was my idea, and the guys liked it. By the way, we used the music from Joubert's program and I was worried that he would be against it, that it could come to a situation where he could protest and say: "This is my music." But Brian has agreed outright.
The interest in this number was extraordinary - I had seen it laid out on Youtube, and the next day, this video was looked by eight thousand people. If possible, I want to further develop this line. Something like mini-performances, when each of the skaters has its own support group and do some numbers.
- Will we see another "Kings on Ice" in Russia? Have the promoters changed their minds about supporting shows in Russia?
To know about it, we'll need a couple of days more. We're just flying to Sweden. But in general the task was, at least, fulfilled. I would also like to say that we are very happy for Stéphane Lambiel, he has a crazy popularity in Russia. Evgeny Plushenko, by the way, insisted that the Swiss will be one of the last ones to perform.
It remains a complex financial issue. I've heard they said that prices for the show were too high. But usually, for World shows they have 5-6, even 10 sponsors and we had only one. And without it, I'm afraid we would have not be able to do anything. So let's see how things will shape in the future.