New Trend In Baby Names Is Just Weird | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Trend In Baby Names Is Just Weird

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Piel said:
Naming children something that sounds cute up until about age 10 but sounds silly for an adult has always made me shake my head. The rule for naming a child should be: How would it look on the door if she/he were CEO of a major company? The same for visible piercings and tattoos...would I be embarrassed if I were being sworn in as president and this was showing?

Piel

ITA. In the business correspondence world, I also have a problem with non-gender specific names. What should I do - address the letter to "Mr. or maybe Ms."? :rolleye:

Totally off topic: Piel - visited southern WV this last spring for a week's vacation. WV has some beautiful scenery - and some pretty nice people, too.

Last edited:

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I remember once reading an announcement in the paper about twins being born. I only remember one of their names because it was "Lazania". Doesn't seem too bad until you say it out loud and have a sudden inkling for Italian food.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
In the business correspondence world, I also have a problem with non-gender specific names. What should I do - address the letter to "Mr. or maybe Ms."?
Statistically, once a non-gender specific names becomes popular for girls, its use for boys decreases dramatically. For example, over the last 20 years, "Alex" has become very popular for girls; guess what? Fewer and fewer boys are named "Alex" every year!
I guess it's OK for a girl to be mistaken for a boy, but not the other way around. :sheesh:

Sadie

On the Ice
As a baker, I tend to prefer names that are distinctly male or distinctly female. There is nothing worse than writing 'Happy Birthday Tyler (or any other non gender specific name) and not knowing if it is for a boy or girl. You sure don't want to offend a boy by putting pink and purple flowers on the cake :) . And people get offended if you ask 'By the way, who is this for?'

I guess I like traditional names. And I like the idea of using old family names.

As for my pets, I tend to get creative. I like using names that no one else uses.
Kids get teased about their names....dogs don't :p

Lad,
Indeed I did know "Chelsea Morning" was written by Canada's young folk phenom Joni Mitchell, in fact what reminded me of Chelsea Clinton was hearing Joni Mitchell sing on some VH1 show. Her voice is as golden now as it was at 15. Thanks for the lyrics. Now that's a song you'd want to name your child to. I can think of a few that I can't write here that you wouldn't.
Rgirl

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Most of you have probably heard me say this. My maiden name
was Butts. My first name (I go by my middle name) is Gladys. When I first went to work and they found out my first name, they started calling me happy bottom. Very embarrassing for 17 year old. I had an aunt named Fannie Butts. My brother almost named his daughter Wendy until some friends mentioned what it would sound like.
When my little sister was barrel racing there was a girl that was just plain unfriendly. My sis said something to her and the girl had a really long, I think polish name, and said something like. Well how would you like it if you had a name like that and it was announced over the loud speaker? My sis said well, my name is Butts and we have a lot of fun with that. I guess the girl was a lot more friendly after that, deciding her's wasn't so bad after all.:laugh:

Sadie

On the Ice
Grgranny said:
Most of you have probably heard me say this. My maiden name
was Butts. My first name (I go by my middle name) is Gladys. When I first went to work and they found out my first name, they started calling me happy bottom. Very embarrassing for 17 year old. I had an aunt named Fannie Butts. My brother almost named his daughter Wendy until some friends mentioned what it would sound like.
When my little sister was barrel racing there was a girl that was just plain unfriendly. My sis said something to her and the girl had a really long, I think polish name, and said something like. Well how would you like it if you had a name like that and it was announced over the loud speaker? My sis said well, my name is Butts and we have a lot of fun with that. I guess the girl was a lot more friendly after that, deciding her's wasn't so bad after all.:laugh:

When I read your post, I almost died from laughing. My mother has always enjoyed genealogy and one day when my sister and I were younger we went through her note books and stuff to see what kind of names our relatives had. We laughed so hard when we came across a great-great-great aunt named Fannie Drinkard who married a J.M. Butts making her Fannie Butts. That is quite a name to have.

alina

Rinkside
In Germany we are not allowed to give names to our children which would ridicule them. And the names for boys have to be male, for girls female. If there is a doubt there must be given a second name.Names of shoes, cars,cheese, etc. are surely not allowed. (btw mercedes is a car name and i think in Spain a female name.)
i would not like to have a name like gouda or so.
Alina

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Oh my goodness, Sadie. She was married to my Uncle Jim. Where was he from? Mine was from Nebraska.
Funny part is, I didn't even realize the combination until I was older.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Actually, my grandfather's name was Flournoy Minafee Butts. I don't know what Aunt Fannie's maiden name was. She had been divorced and her first married name was Zalud. Funny but all my grampa's brothers were named Jim, Art, etc. No funny ones.

Sadie

On the Ice
Grgranny said:
Oh my goodness, Sadie. She was married to my Uncle Jim. Where was he from? Mine was from Nebraska.
Funny part is, I didn't even realize the combination until I was older.

We are not too sure where they were from, but my mother said that Fannie was born somewhere around 1870, more or less.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I went and looked in my "Garfield County" book and see that my aunt's maiden name was McCarthy and they were married in 1909. They had one son, Leo. Interesting to note (maybe only to me) that Leo and a neighbor boy, were kept on the farms during world war 2 to avoid the draft. They didn't dare show their heads in town or they would have been beaten up or worse. They were very spoiled.

mpal2

Final Flight
I love funny name stories!

I went to school with Brock Lee and my mom substitute taught for a Crystal Ball. :D

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
My brother had a teacher named Mrs. Tuck. Her husband's name was Donald.

I still laugh hysterically over that one! The kids in the class found that out when she brought in a magazine with his name printed on the mailing label.

eliza88

On the Ice
When the Seattle Seahawks offensive lineman Walter Jones and wife Valerie had twins, they had a boy and a girl and named them Walterius and Walleria. That combination always cracks me up!

I went for the old fashioned names when I named my daughters, Madeleine and Alexandra. Madeleine (she's 8) still complains everytime she has to write her long name on her homework--constantly asking if she could just write her initials and Alexandra (she's 5) will happily write her name forwards and backwards to show her sister up! It dawned on me during a highly dramatic Alexandra phase that her name has the same number of syllables as Argentina, therefore I often rephrase the Evita classic song, "Don't cry at me Alexandra..." (I can't say this usually goes over too well but it gives me humor when I need it most!)

eliza88

PS--there is always the Picabo Street story...

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I once had an orthopedic surgeon named Dr. Tinker.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the people from Texas whose last name was Hogg. They actually named their daughters Ima and Ura. This is true.

mpal2

Final Flight
I almost forgot this one.

A doctor who specializes in artificial limbs goes by the name of Dr. Stubbs. Yes, it's really true. We kept saying we were going to take our camera downtown to get proof and send the photo to Leno or Letterman.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
My brother has a friend who called one night when I was on the internet so internet called manger pooped up. The name on the screen was her fathers...it was Long John. That cracked me up.

Blue Bead

Medalist
Speaking of medical people, I've got a dentist whose name is Dr. Payne! I tease him about it every chance I get,:laugh: