New Trend In Baby Names Is Just Weird | Page 3 | Golden Skate

New Trend In Baby Names Is Just Weird

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
When I lived in L.A., I noticed that there were quite a few entries for people named "Dr. Blood" listed in the phone book. I looked it up once when I must have been incredibly bored with nothing better to do! :D

JOHIO2

Medalist
I once got a CAT scan at 3am; I found it quite amusing to meet a neurology resident named Dr. Love. Really amusing....I think he was working on his standup routine while half awake. Took my mind off losing my mind ( head injury--still here, or is that still HERE?) LOL (sure, I can laugh now)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
When my husband and I got married the minister's name was Dr Merry.

My neighbors just had a baby boy and named him Phoenix Victor. I think it is a strange name for a kid.

eliza88

On the Ice
I saw a doctor named Dr. Crook! There are probably some Dr. Quack's out there too!

eliza88

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
When my father was growing up, he had a neighbor named Mr. Charlie Thing. The kids used to ask him "How are you Mr. Thing, how's Mrs. Thing and every little Thing?":laugh:

Moto Guzzi

Spectator
Figureskates said:
My wife's gyn/ob name is Dr. D1ck, and is a woman.

One of my coworkers was reading the gyn/ob listing in the yellow pages and came across one named Harry Beaver. We thought he was joking, but he wasn't.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Many years ago, I had a friend who knew a girl named Perry Winkle. I'm sorry, but that's just plain cruel.

Figureskates

On the Ice
This is the honest truth, if I didn't see the invoice I would have thought this was all made up.

A friend of mine's wife use to work for an insurance agency. They had a Thai man as a client. His first name was Fuk, pronounced "fook" and his last name was Yu. All the people in the office always refered to him as Mr. Yu.

My question is how is this man ever paged in an airport, stadium, or any other public venue?

Sadie

On the Ice
Figureskates said:
This is the honest truth, if I didn't see the invoice I would have thought this was all made up.

A friend of mine's wife use to work for an insurance agency. They had a Thai man as a client. His first name was Fuk, pronounced "fook" and his last name was Yu. All the people in the office always refered to him as Mr. Yu.

My question is how is this man ever paged in an airport, stadium, or any other public venue?

Haha! That sounds like that Austin Powers movie! Did you see it? I think it was the Goldmember movie.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This thread is hysterical! There was a nice family whose children attended my school. They were immigrants from Cambodia and their boys were named Levi, Nike, and Addidas........I kid you not...........42

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I'm away for the weekend and yesterday I drove past a dental clinic. The doctor was Dr. Bonner and the cllinic...Bonner Clinic.
I kid you not, it is in Saint John, NB!!!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I just got throught reading the "Parade" section from my newpaper and came across this.

Poppy Montgomery of the CBS show "Without a Trace" said she got her unusual name because her mother liked flowers. Her full name is Poppy Petal. Her sisters names are. Rosie Thorn, Daisy Yellow, Marigold Sun and Lily Belle.

Thanks goodness she didn't name her son after a flower. Instead she named him after a rock star,
Jethro Tull.

guinevere

Final Flight
name game

I think I'm probably in the minority here: although I would never name anyone or thing after a designer label (shoe or otherwise), any child I may someday have will probably be named Zelda or something equally odd. Why? Because my parents chose to name me the single most common girl's name in 1970, and I grew up with at least 4 other girls in my class with the same name in every grade. If someone yells my first name somewhere, I assume it's for someone else. If I'm reintroducing myself to someone who met me once and may not remember me, I can't just give them my name - I have to go through the whole story of why they know me. I snickered at the thought of naming your child something that would sound good if they grew up to be a CEO - that's all my family has ever done, and we're rife with "good sensible names". BORING!!! Most people call me by my first and last name together, as if it's one word. I don't tell anyone to do this, they've all just picked it up spontaneously.

Fun Name Items:

I also let my pets tell me their names. I got a kitten many years ago, chose a name immediately that I no longer remember. After 2 days it became clear that her name was Meep, and has been so for 14 years. My puppy took 3 days to tell me her name. I was fretting about it a lot, until she told me: Bella (from Beluga, as in the whale, not the caviar).

I had a friend who went to high school with a girl named Bride Ann Grooms (she went by Bridie Grooms). Now that's sad!

I seriously went to elementary school with a boy named Richard Brown. And he went by Dick. No one thought anything of it when we were little, but he flunked 5th grade - coincidentally the age when I'm sure other kids were figuring out what was so wrong about that name...

My chiropractor's name is Dr. Devine! And he is!

guinevere,
who wishes that were her real name!

CartDi

Rinkside
It was either in the Czech Republic or Denmark, where four different sets of parents named their son "Legolas", after the elf character in Lord of the Rings. I love Legolas and LOTR, but I just found it hilarious.

diver chick

On the Ice
I am not mad about ome of the trends that are appearing in Britain these days.

The latest one is to call a girl Chardonnay thanks to a programme called footballers wives.

Personally I like normal but lesser used names like Olivia, Rebecca, Eve/Eva Dominic etc or if I want something unusual or different I have a whole host of Irish or Welsh names to choose from like Aoife, Aoibheann, Fionn, Rhys etc

guinevere

Final Flight
Aren't some of George Forman's kids daughters (also named George)? :eek:

Reminds me of my legally blind grandmother attending the reception of her nephew's wedding (2nd marriage). The bride, a lovely woman named Anne, introduces my grandmother to a teenaged boy, saying, "...and this is my son John". Later, Granny is strikes up a conversation with a nice gentleman in his early twenties. The bride comes by and says "Francie, I see you've met my son John!". My grandmother was afraid that her eyesight was getting even worse so was too embarrassed to ask what the heck was going on. It turns out that Anne had been married to two different men named John, and each had insisted that their first son be named after him!! :D :D

guinevere