Why You Can't Tickle Yourself | Golden Skate

Why You Can't Tickle Yourself

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Ever wonder why you can't tickle yourself? Read this!

You can't tickle yourself because your brain won't let you.

Scientists from University College London in the United Kingdom concluded that when you move, your body sends a message to your brain telling it what to expect. That means your brain already knows the outcome of an action before you ever do it. So you can't tickle yourself because your brain knows what to expect and desensitizes the signal from your skin, reports New Scientist.

They figured this out when they conducted a series of "tit-for-tat" experiments to determine whether we know how much force we use. You know the drill. Go to any playground and eventually two kids will start to argue and hit each other. Then they cry. Then they run to Mom. "He hit me," says one. "He hit me harder," says the other.

The study: Six pairs of adult volunteers took turns squashing their partner's left index finger below a lever that recorded the actual amount of force that was applied. The partners were told to do the same, but they were instructed to use the same amount of force that had been used on them. Back and forth they went.

The results: The volunteers, who had been given the instructions privately and not in front of their partners, each thought the other was told to increase the finger-squashing force--not use an equal amount of force. Our brains are wired to underestimate the amount of force we exert on other people. Translation: He hit me harder.

The study findings, which could provide insight into some self-delusional symptoms of schizophrenia, were published in the journal Science.

http://cdn-channels.netscape.com/cp/fte/tickleyourself/i/tickleyourself135.jpg :laugh:

Antilles

Medalist
Actually, I'm so ticklish I can tickle myself. Mostly my toes. Guess my brain doesn't function the way they say it does.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I am not ticklish. I have trained myself to not be - for the exact reason you mentioned, Ladskater.

My son is not ticklish, either. Because I have taught him the same trick.

My husband is ticklish, because he won't let himself believe.

Bwaa Haaa! (Oooh - no evil emoticon :( )

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
But being ticked is a FUN part of being a kid! My daughter ASKS me to tickle her, and I love to hear her laughing while she's being tickled!:laugh: :laugh:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK Lad, here is my question----why would you want to tickle yourself?????:laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
When I was small, I did not like to be tickled and found that I really could make myself not ticklish. I did find when I went to a chiropracter I had a spot that was ticklish but I have never told anyone where it is. The Dr. thought it was a spot that was real sore and I never told him any different.:laugh:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
but I have never told anyone where it is.
Aw come on Granny, tell us where it is. I'll give you some bubble gum if you do.:laugh: :) :laugh:

Dee

serenity

On the Ice
Come now granny. What kind of chiropracter do you have? Hope it for your back. All mine does is squeeze my cheeks now and then. The other day I got him back and squeezed his face after he squeezed mine.:D